View Poll Results: What setting is your DCCD on?
Typically keep it on auto all the time
35.29%
I switch it up to the rear, but mostly auto
27.45%
I keep it in the middle somewhere
3.92%
All the way to back almost always
5.88%
I don't have DCCD because SOA sucks!
27.45%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Attention STi owners. RE: DCCD

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Attention STi owners. RE: DCCD

Hello all,

I've been toying with my DCCD since I got the car, and have found that the best position for a semi-stock car is just to leave it in the auto position. I don't "drift" or anything, and love staying planted as best as possible, so 99% of the time its on auto.

I'm curious to see what you guys are doing with your center diff... What setting do you use for aggressive driving? for every day driving?

Only time I EVER put the power to the back is if I want to do something stupid like donuts or powerslide around... But tires are expensive and I can't afford to do that stuff right now, so auto it is! I find that the car is balanced very nicely from the factory when using the auto setting. I can still fish tail and break my tires loose in turns if I want, but I have a subie, whats the point?

Getting a little slide-ways is always fun on long sweepers, but auto is fine for that... If I put my power to the rear, the car gets too rear happy where my tirmes are actually slower then when its on auto.

PS: I love my STi so damn much. I used to think my WRX was my dream car, but when i got my STi everything changed... I don't even think of my WRX anymore and am glad it's gone. The STi is just a much different car then my old 06WRX which was modded. My almost stock STi (access port, tuned by GST, and cat back) kicks the crap out of my medium modded WRX in any category, any time and anywhere. No offense to you WRX guys as I was one of you, but when you get into a nicely broken in STi you thoughts will be like mine.

My STi didn't feel this way when it was new... After a couple thousand miles the car learned a thing or two and with a tune its just the perfect car for me. I don't really want to mod it because 265whp is plenty for me and I am still faster then most cars on the road. It's hard to believe that I get to drive my dream car every day! Ive been waiting a good 10+ years to be able to step into an STi and call it my own.

The GST tune changed the car a lot! Better throttle, more response, less lag, and smooth power band that sends you to the back of your seat like nothing. I love the torque of the 2.5L Sti motor... So amazingly hot.

Anyway, back to DCCD
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
PS: I love my STi so damn much. I used to think my WRX was my dream car, but when i got my STi everything changed... I don't even think of my WRX anymore and am glad it's gone. The STi is just a much different car then my old 06WRX which was modded. My almost stock STi (access port, tuned by GST, and cat back) kicks the crap out of my medium modded WRX in any category, any time and anywhere. No offense to you WRX guys as I was one of you, but when you get into a nicely broken in STi you thoughts will be like mine.
You should come down to AutoX and give all us WRX drivers in inferior cars a good *** whoopin With more torque and and extra diff you will cream us all...right?

Just kidding with you Dan, I know your not really talking smack...you just love your STi.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
auto all the time
Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
auto, but sone time one click back from locked
Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM

auto all the time in wet. all the way to the rear for most any performance driving as the turn in feels better, normal driving auto but sometimes to rear. What you want to avoid is switching to the manual and not having it far back enough, remember all the way up it locks the front diff and you will destroy your car if you do that on pavement.q
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
depends on the road,
gravel, 50/50 lock
Autox, 50 % auto, Cause the steering lock, but if it open, I go Rear wheel drive-ish setting
down mountain/valley roads I go front wheel setting,
Its all driving style, sometimes I like the feel of the front wheels pulling more, sometimes, I like the overstear control of rear wheels. And it's fun to feel how the car reacts differently, so sometimes I just play around with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 98 RS, 69 camaro, 02 wrx
Aren't you glad you didn't go with the evo!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
i am still learning how to use it. hardly change it much cause i really dont understand when and where to change it. but i will learn it someday.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by glenspen
You should come down to AutoX and give all us WRX drivers in inferior cars a good *** whoopin With more torque and and extra diff you will cream us all...right?

Just kidding with you Dan, I know your not really talking smack...you just love your STi.
hahah, you guys would whoop my *** at autox as I haven't been in about 8 years... I'm not knocking WRXs as my car is still a WRX, only with a bunch of factory mods. It's like comparing a stock car to a modded one, still the same car, just more oomph.

I don't care how fast someone's car is, you have have Mario Andriette in a VW bus, and have Joe Shmo in a Ferarri F50, Mario will still hand Joe Shmo his ***.

All I meant is that the STi is more fun to drive out of the box... well, for most people at least. You can make a WRX into an STi killer, but I like the fact that my car is factory... I got tired of modding my cars... Aftermarket stuff breaks way too often.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SubieFoo
Aren't you glad you didn't go with the evo!!!!
Sooooooooooooooo glad.

Now when I get into an EVO and compare it to my STi... Man, the EVO just feels cheap all around... Kinda cheesy too. ITs a great performer, but I like the quality of the Subaru much more then the base model lancer with a new engine/drivetrain and body kit. Know what I mean?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
i use auto for normal driving

as well as high speed freeway j/k

but for launching i use 50/50
Old 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
yeah, everyday driving = Auto mode. In general, when I want to go on my weekend drives and have some fun, its set at 'Full Rear' (FR).

for me, the steering is what really feels different between 'Auto' and 'FR'. The steering "feels sharper" and "less burdened" by the torque to the front. I used to drive RWD vehicle, so this mode makes steering feels more natural...more comfortable.

With Auto, those same drives, the car turn in feels more sluggish, but i definitely feel more grip as i'm coming out of turns. Auto lets me put in more throttle earlier in the turn exit. But because the steering feeling is so different, I find myself taking more FWD-like lines for turns...i just need more experience and discipline.

just my $0.02
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I keep mine in auto most of the time but sometimes kick it all the way back or one notch away. The auto mode works very well most of the time but can be a bit unpredictable if you don't know the DCCD programming well.

Its also quite different in every year. The 04's DCCD programming is pretty bad and it does nothing but try to straighten the car out no matter what you're trying to do. I hate driving 04's in auto so I usually go 50/50 or a bit to the rear. In 05 the programming improved quite a bit but the auto mode can still feel a bit intrusive if you're trying to rotate the car. In 06 things changed greatly! I believe this is the year they added the steering angle sensor for the DCCD programming. Now the auto mode will actually help you rotate the car when it detect signs of understeer. This can really help you out but it can also bite you in the *** if you don't expect it. The 07 programming is very similar to the 06's.

-- Ed
Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM

Car Info: Fast
A quick post to dispell a common misconception regarding the DCCD.

The DCCD does not control the front/ rear bias, at least not directly. It only controls the amount of lock in the center diff.

Very Informative post from the evil NASIOC

Last edited by aboothman; 05-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee

My STi didn't feel this way when it was new... After a couple thousand miles the car learned a thing or two and with a tune its just the perfect car for me. I don't really want to mod it because 265whp is plenty for me and I am still faster then most cars on the road. It's hard to believe that I get to drive my dream car every day! Ive been waiting a good 10+ years to be able to step into an STi and call it my own.

The GST tune changed the car a lot! Better throttle, more response, less lag, and smooth power band that sends you to the back of your seat like nothing. I love the torque of the 2.5L Sti motor... So amazingly hot.

Anyway, back to DCCD
You get 265 bhp from a tune and a CBE?? What does the STI get stock?

I've been toying with taking my car to get tuned, but most people here said I shouldn't bother if I'm not going to mod it.

Quick Reply: Attention STi owners. RE: DCCD