Anyone use Sprint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Anyone use Sprint?

So I currently got AT&T and not very happy with my service there (and they used to be really good too!), can't get service anywhere half the time and my phone (Samsung Blackjack) is crap. So I was thinking of switching to Sprint because I'm diggin' the new Palm Pre. Anyone have Spring that can comment on their service?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Car Info: '08 FXT - VF43'd
I have Sprint, but only because I got in on their SERO plan, which is no longer available.

But it seems Sprint is restricting some of the newer phones like the Palm Pre from being used on these older legacy plans. I'm close to either switching to one of their $70 Everything Plans to get the Pre, or switching to AT&T for the new iPhone. The 20% or so employee discount will at least bring the monthly plans down a bit.

I was with VZW for 8 years before switching to Sprint about 1 1/2 years ago. VZW had pretty good customer service, cell service was good too, but their phones were always crippled. Sprint is comparable for the most part I think, since you'll typically be able to roam on VZW's network. The data speeds are probably the fastest of the major networks. Customer service is horrible, but I avoid calling them if I can. Other than that, I've been mostly happy with them.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM

yup

sero plan for the win..... but damn i want the PRE....4g netWORK! But my 30 dollar phone bill puts a smile on my face =)
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM

I actually think their data plans are a lot more reasonable than AT&T's... $70 you get unlimited text and internet and 450 minutes.

Wherein at AT&T it's same price but no texting at all!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Yes, I agree that Sprint's prices are reasonable compared to what you can get with other providers. But when you're coming from the SERO plan, which offered 500 minutes, unlimited txt/data/nights/wknds, all for just $30. On top of that, a lot of people have other perks too. It's hard to justify paying more than twice as much just for a certain phone.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by lickwid
Yes, I agree that Sprint's prices are reasonable compared to what you can get with other providers. But when you're coming from the SERO plan, which offered 500 minutes, unlimited txt/data/nights/wknds, all for just $30. On top of that, a lot of people have other perks too. It's hard to justify paying more than twice as much just for a certain phone.
Well I actually need a decent smart phone for emailing and what not. So I'll be using the Palm Pre for what it was designed for. But I was also considering a BlackBerry
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB
i had sprint and it is crap. the phone never got reception and when it did the call was not clear at all. i have verizon and i always have reception everywhere i go. as for customer service i have never had a problem with them, they are always very helpful to me. i would go with vzw or at&t
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
sprint seems to get signal where cingular doesnt. well thats my experience from goin to friends places in different areas lol. i have cingular, so it kinda sucks some times about signal, but other than that i really have no complains.....................so far lol.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
There is a similar conversation going on in the "Cell Phone Guys" thread

I can say this. i have a Nextel at work which = Sprint and the coverage sucks
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I have Sprint and I have better coverage than when I had AT&T (5 years ago now).

Love the service, love the price, love the Pre. Customer service was pretty crap a while ago, but they are working hard to turn around their image, and the CS is actually really helpful now.

Also, for what its worth, even though Sprint owns Nextel, they are still on different networks. Just because the Nextel sucks in a certain area, it doesn't mean that the Sprint network will suck. I had Nextel for about 3-6 months before Sprint bought them out, and switched to Sprint almost immediately (cause I could with no ETF) and cell service went up almost everywhere I usually travel.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 07-17-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
There is a similar conversation going on in the "Cell Phone Guys" thread

I can say this. i have a Nextel at work which = Sprint and the coverage sucks
FWIW, I don't believe Nextel and Sprint share the same coverage, but I could be totally wrong. I could have sworn that Nextel uses the iDen network, whereas Sprint uses CDMA (similar to Verizon).

But like I said before, Sprint has unlimited free roaming, so you can roam on Verizon's network for free.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
FWIW, I have AT&T for my personal cell, and Sprint for my work blackberry. IME, Sprint has had better coverage and better reception everywhere I've been.

Sprint's customer service dept sucked big time for me though when we had some billing issues (they were trying to bill me, instead of the company).
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
i can say from where i am, the midle of bum **** no where, sprint sucks... no service anywhere. I have two phones with different serivices right now i have att and vzw. where vzw gets serivice so does att and where vzw doesn't get service att does.

also with vzw when you are up here you are in extended network which means no pics, internet etc.... att does not have that problem. but sprint can suck my left nut!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
I have been with sprint since 1998 and have not ever found my self in a pickle and I was up on the CON and I was the only one with service that was 3 years ago though....
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
I actually think their data plans are a lot more reasonable than AT&T's... $70 you get unlimited text and internet and 450 minutes.

Wherein at AT&T it's same price but no texting at all!
Really? I'm paying like $75 a month with 450 anytime, unlimited text and Internet.

I agree, when I had the crackjack, I got no signal anywhere. That phone was a nightmare.

If verizon wasn't so much, I'd probably go back to them. I loved getting service everywhere. Even at work in our basement, verizon gets reception unlike AT&T.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Sprint?