Anyone shipped their car to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Anyone shipped their car to Europe?

I am moving to Sweden in a few months, and it looks like I may get to take my WRX with me. I know that is not the smartest thing to do, but, hey. I have this dream of driving it to Germany some day to take a trip on a certain road..

I am trying to find as much info as I can around regulations, temporary insurance, and things like that. I have a good amount of info already but it looks like some folks have had some problems with fees upon time for pickup and such. It also looks like I am expected to send my title along with my car, which sounds insane - so trying to confirm that.

I will need to ship it with snow/ice tires and then be ready to pick it up and drive it from Gothenburg to Stockholm. I have done the drive before, but never in a car with CA plates!!

Some things I am concerned with are purchasing fuel, as some things I have read state that the filler will need to be modified/replaced to accept the local fuel equipment (95/98RON at the pump tho). For this I have a petrol can that I will take with me, but it's critical to know these things ahead of time. Additionally, I will need to have side repeaters installed (which is why I have had a WTB for JDM fenders for a while now).

Trying to gather as much info as possible. If anyone has done this before, drop me a line. I have shipped cars to/from Hawaii several times and never had any issues at all, but this looks like a whole different thing.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I shipped my vintage Camaro to a buyer France about 10 years ago; the whole thing was handled by Schumacher Cargo Logistics . Frankly there was very little for me to do. Just had to provide pink slip and registration. They picked up the car with a transporter, hauled it to Long Beach on a transporter than stuck in in a shipping container on a cargo ship. It took about 3 months to arrive, but was in fine shape.

As far as making the car run in Sweeden... I can't speak to that. I do have a buddy who's quite the gearhead over there who could probably help. There are lots of Subaru's in Sweeden. I understand wanting to take your own car over, but it's probably better to just buy a Euro-Spec when you get there.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lowend
I shipped my vintage Camaro to a buyer France about 10 years ago; the whole thing was handled by Schumacher Cargo Logistics . Frankly there was very little for me to do. Just had to provide pink slip and registration. They picked up the car with a transporter, hauled it to Long Beach on a transporter than stuck in in a shipping container on a cargo ship. It took about 3 months to arrive, but was in fine shape.

As far as making the car run in Sweeden... I can't speak to that. I do have a buddy who's quite the gearhead over there who could probably help. There are lots of Subaru's in Sweeden. I understand wanting to take your own car over, but it's probably better to just buy a Euro-Spec when you get there.
Awesome - thanks! I looked them up, and submitted for a quote. My wife found two shippers - one will ship from Richmond/Oakland - both are under $2k. The other I would need to get the car to Long Beach as you mentioned.

Agreed that shipping my car may not be the smartest option. If it were stock, I would just sell it here and take the money to find something else over there. I feel like it would be a pain in the *** to sell my car, and I hate selling cars. Will look into it though. A few people have told me to ship it regardless, because they are worth a lot more over there, since they were never sold there. Still looking into some clubs over there, and a friend of mine (tactrix) also said there is a good amount of Suby's over there, and may even be able to find someone to work on it/tune it.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Are you going to be shipping anything else over?

Perhaps it would be cheaper to get a whole shipping container and load it yourself?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Can you import JDM there?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by queeg9k
Are you going to be shipping anything else over?

Perhaps it would be cheaper to get a whole shipping container and load it yourself?
Nahh. I am taking some clothes, my laptop, my bike, my dog and maybe my WRX. All household goods, 3 other bikes, tools, and sadly my '00 2.5RS are going in the next 2 months or so. Plus, unlike all the times I have shipped to/from Hawaii, I can pack the car full of crap. Summer wheels and the tools I am taking with will take a good chunk of that.

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Can you import JDM there?
Not just that, but since I have owned my car so long, it is supposedly a different category than simply importing a car. My original plan was to grab a complete V7 STi swap, shove it up my car, and ship it good. Didn't work out.

This is a HUGE wasted opportunity, but my car is still a ton of fun, and it's about a zillion times more powerful than anything we will need over there. AWD will be great in the snow/ice. WRB will be great when I spin out and stuff it into a snow-bank. If it were white they would never find me.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 10-13-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Different category = no emissions testing/inspection.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 2020 STI
just sell and buy another one there...euro spec are close to JDM if not the same; you'll be much happier with a new car
Old 10-15-2016, 02:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
try getting a hold of mahanse he shipped his 06 over when he was living in the Europe
Old 10-17-2016, 07:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Super_Subie13
just sell and buy another one there...euro spec are close to JDM if not the same; you'll be much happier with a new car
Not really the best deal for me. I actually do not need a car over there at all, so no need to buy a new one. It will get rarely used, and my mother-in-law might crash it into a moose anyway.

Furthermore, if my car were totally stock and easy to sell, I would just sell it here for sure, but I have put piles of money I will never get back into it for repairs and upgrades, and would be difficult for me to sell. Don't really want to try and deal with that. If someone knew my car and wanted to buy it for a price that worked for me, I would sell it, but I doubt that would happen.

Originally Posted by tecnica tech
try getting a hold of mahanse he shipped his 06 over when he was living in the Europe
Cool - thanks!! I will send him a message.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Is this a track-only car or are you going to register the vehicle and drive on public roads? If it's the latter, you will need to look into the emissions requirements, road test/safety requirements etc. They may be tighter/looser/different, but worth checking into. For example, in the UK, you have to have an MOT for your car every 2 years. This includes a check of all safety equipment, lights, emissions, brakes, bodywork, the whole lot.

Another potential big cost is you may get hit with import tax, sales tax, duty etc.

Good luck with the move though. It should be an awesome experience!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lorry
Is this a track-only car or are you going to register the vehicle and drive on public roads? If it's the latter, you will need to look into the emissions requirements, road test/safety requirements etc. They may be tighter/looser/different, but worth checking into. For example, in the UK, you have to have an MOT for your car every 2 years. This includes a check of all safety equipment, lights, emissions, brakes, bodywork, the whole lot.

Another potential big cost is you may get hit with import tax, sales tax, duty etc.

Good luck with the move though. It should be an awesome experience!
Thank you!! As crazy as it sounds, due to the length of time I have owned my car and the way I am importing it, no emissions testing. I lived in the Midlands in '98-'00 and had an R-Reg Impreza Turbo estate. Probably what started my Impreza addiction. Impretsa. Heh.

Importing this car over if I lived there would not be worth it, but bringing it when I move is a whole different thing. Thanks for popping in!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Awesome. Sad to see you go but glad for the reason you're going.

Lets get a beer before you depart.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Awesome. Sad to see you go but glad for the reason you're going.

Lets get a beer before you depart.
Thank you. I hope I can come back for BAM next year - would be rad.

Most definitely. You check out Hop Dogma yet?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Not yet.

Hopefully you can man. Always good to see you.