Anyone know their HID ish? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Anyone know their HID ish? Help?

I bought a '01 RS coupe w/ (I am told) Phillips HIDs installed. The LH ligth went out today, and I realised I have no idea what to do about that. I need to un-ziptie the ballasts and check part number/names and stuff. If anyone knows about these things or knows a good source for replacement parts, please let me know. Also - should the "colour" of the light be marked somewhere? I don't even know what one to replace if it's the bulb. When you turn it on, they both flash and the LH light just dimly glows purplish..

I posted in the correct forum for this, but I am thinking if someone local could let me know about suppliers or whatever, that would be cool.

TIA.

-Jacob
Old 01-08-2005, 05:53 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
I had a Bohmen/Mc Culloch kit up until yesterday.
Left one started going out and coming on then just went out.
Sounds like you may have a bad capsule, bulb.
Proxenon.com , if they are still around may be able to help you. Their capsules have AMP sealed plugs on them which is the standard for after market kits.
replace both (ouch)
Option two: go to auto parts store, get the oe bulbs or splurge on silverstars and get rid of the HID kit and its expensive headaches.
Last i checked capsules where in the 100's.
I will never have them again unless they come from the factory. Great light though, isn't it?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cohlineman
I had a Bohmen/Mc Culloch kit up until yesterday.
Left one started going out and coming on then just went out.
Sounds like you may have a bad capsule, bulb.
Proxenon.com , if they are still around may be able to help you. Their capsules have AMP sealed plugs on them which is the standard for after market kits.
replace both (ouch)
Option two: go to auto parts store, get the oe bulbs or splurge on silverstars and get rid of the HID kit and its expensive headaches.
Last i checked capsules where in the 100's.
I will never have them again unless they come from the factory. Great light though, isn't it?
Yeah, the light output on these is incredible. See signs for miles away. I have been seriously contemplating the Silverstar route tho... We'll give it a few more days.

So, I should be able to just get replacement H4 Xenon bulbs, and they should work eh? They have a standard for the bulbs? That would be nifty.

-Jacob
Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Started looking it over, and the HID igniter/ballast wires were bare, pressed into the stock connectors and duct-taped. So, a few zip-tie clips later and damn - I had no idea Silverstars were so dim!!!

-Jacob
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
no sorry, i dont' know much about HID setups
Old 01-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I had the same problem with my 8000K HID kit. Turned out to be the ballast. Did you try switching the compenents aroung to determine what's actually malfunctioning? Usually its the ballasts that go bad, not the bulbs.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
definately switch the bulbs like lurk mentioned to see if its the bulb or ballast. (altho i'm betting its the bulb). u can get replacement bulbs from online places, but you should email them pictures of the connectors to make sure they will work. I got my philips kit from http://www.xenonfactory.com/ they sell replacement bulbs and only sell kits/parts made of philips components.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ish
no sorry, i dont' know much about HID setups
I didn't mean Ish in general, I meant HID ish. I apologize for the confusion.

-Jacob
Old 01-10-2005, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lurk
I had the same problem with my 8000K HID kit. Turned out to be the ballast. Did you try switching the compenents aroung to determine what's actually malfunctioning? Usually its the ballasts that go bad, not the bulbs.
Yeah, I went to take it apart to troubleshoot - and that's when I found the kits were just zip-tied/duct taped in and the wires were bare, twisted and shoved into the stock headlight connectors, then duct taped. I am sure it's the bulb as the LH bulb looks pretty burnt and white inside the globe. I will save the ballasts for when I have extra cash sitting around. I loved the light, but if I am on a road trip somewhere I don't want to rely on duct tape and chance for my only source of lighting! Running Silverstars till I can do it right..

Thanks for the advice everyone!

-Jacob
Old 01-10-2005, 07:50 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah, I went to take it apart to troubleshoot - and that's when I found the kits were just zip-tied/duct taped in and the wires were bare, twisted and shoved into the stock headlight connectors, then duct taped. I am sure it's the bulb as the LH bulb looks pretty burnt and white inside the globe. I will save the ballasts for when I have extra cash sitting around. I loved the light, but if I am on a road trip somewhere I don't want to rely on duct tape and chance for my only source of lighting! Running Silverstars till I can do it right..

Thanks for the advice everyone!

-Jacob
Audiomobile in Oakland has various Philips components laying around. They let me borrow a Hella/Philips ballast last time mine went out. I suggest you take it to them when you re-install your kit. They will do it right this time.