Anyone have H&R in stock so i can buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Anyone have H&R in stock so i can buy?

I'm in the middle of a suspension install and it turns out i need camber bolts. But for my own reasons I specifically only want H&R triple C bolts.

I have some SPCs already but they are old worn and I want the H&R for the higher torque spec design.

Anyone know a place I came go pick them up in the South Bay or Fremont? I emailed SpeedElement but I have to wait for a response.

Need part TC 114
Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Napas are just as burley. Eibachs are a lower torque spec tho.

Napa had them in stock here in sc when I got a pair. 20 bux a piece.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Napas are just as burley. Eibachs are a lower torque spec tho. Napa had them in stock here in sc when I got a pair. 20 bux a piece.
Hey thanks for the tip. They do look like a similar design! Do you happen to know the torque spec on the napa bolts? http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsD...670_0393342834 Looks like they carry both the H&R style and the Eibach style. I'll need to make sure I get the right one.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Hey thanks for the tip. They do look like a similar design! Do you happen to know the torque spec on the napa bolts? http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsD...670_0393342834 Looks like they carry both the H&R style and the Eibach style. I'll need to make sure I get the right one.
Well the eibachs are 78 lbs while the napas are ~100+lbs.

Nc# 264-3642

Is what I have. My eibachs never slipped as is tho.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Ok I picked up a couple sets of these and here's my review:

They are better than the SPC/Eibachs because the higher torque spec (~95ft/lbs)

They work a little differently than the SPC camber bolts. That black "lobe" on the bolt is actually made of nylon/urethane/? and it freely spins on the bolt. The instuctions say that you must orient the lobe in the max camber position, and by rotating the bolt the camber is adjusted. This is the opposite of the way the SPC bolts work where rotating the bolt means rotating the lobe to adjust camber. Note that it took some coaxing (ie a hammer) to tap the bolt into place and force the nylon lobe to get through the strut hole.

I installed them and loosely put the nut on and then rotated the bolt. Sure enough, it works just fine for changing camber.

The higher torque spec comes from the fact that the minimum diameter is wider on these vs the SPC's because the threads are located on a thicker section of the bolt (according to my MechE friend).

There is a glass impregnated nylon hex "washer" (see picture) that is supposed to be used to fill the strut hole for holding the bolt in better position so it doesn't slip within the hole. However, Napa has crappy precision on this and the "moon shaped" insert is cut too large. It doesn't even fit in the washers they provide. I ended up not being able to use it.

I think the H&R triple C's are still better because they have a 115ft/lbs torque spec and you can see that the threaded area is thicker.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM

Yea those arent the ones I was talking about. The napa ones I picked up are super burley and are not nylon.
If you want I can get a set for you. The fit is excellent and ive never had a problem with them.
The camber bolts you pictured look super cheap for some odd reason.

Ill call napa right now to see if they have any in stock. Pm me.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Yea those arent the ones I was talking about. The napa ones I picked up are super burley and are not nylon. If you want I can get a set for you. The fit is excellent and ive never had a problem with them. The camber bolts you pictured look super cheap for some odd reason. Ill call napa right now to see if they have any in stock. Pm me.
Oh. Napa website came up with two. The SPC type and these. Let me know if you find anything different.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Oh. Napa website came up with two. The SPC type and these. Let me know if you find anything different.
If by spc you mean the standard bolt that looks like the eibachs thats the one im talking about. The napa bolts have a higher torque spec than the eibachs but they are the same design. Ive never had a camber bolt fail when using in the correct orientation. Why are you set on thinking the type of design is inferior?

To be honest the nylon lobe bolts are inferior to the other design.

Im just saying if the torque specs are what you worry about, the napa bolts are ~100ft lbs and the eibachs are ~78ft lbs.
They look almost identical but I swear the napas feel heavier and sturdier.
When one corner is off the ground it can be harder to slip those camber lobes in too.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 PM

If by spc you mean the standard bolt that looks like the eibachs thats the one im talking about. The napa bolts have a higher torque spec than the eibachs but they are the same design. Ive never had a camber bolt fail when using in the correct orientation. Why are you set on thinking the type of design is inferior?

To be honest the nylon lobe bolts are inferior to the other design.

Im just saying if the torque specs are what you worry about, the napa bolts are ~100ft lbs and the eibachs are ~78ft lbs.
They look almost identical but I swear the napas feel heavier and sturdier.
When one corner is off the ground it can be harder to slip those camber lobes in too.
If they are heavier perhaps the metal is a little different.

But in general, you can't make a metal tougher without making it more brittle. These are all steel bolts, so the bigger factor is cross section area. The weakest point is the smallest cross sectional location. In the SPC/eibach design, the weak point is the threaded area, because the threads are cut into a bolt shaft that is the same original diameter as the unthreaded section.

In the H&R/other-Napa design, the threaded section is located on a thicker section which is designed to be approximately the same diameter as the original stock straight bolt. To make it fit and work like a camber bolt, the threaded section sticks outside of the strut.

Look at these two pictures and locate the narrowest cross sections of the bolts. There are multiple factors that ultimately determine the strength, but cross section area is a big one. The end result is that the H&R are spec'd at a higher torque.

Name:  b3ujGpr.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  APrTbOS.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  13.4 KB

Last edited by chimchimm5; 05-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM

If they are heavier perhaps the metal is a little different.

But in general, you can't make a metal tougher without making it more brittle. These are all steel bolts, so the bigger factor is cross section area. The weakest point is the smallest cross sectional location. In the SPC/eibach design, the weak point is the threaded area, because the threads are cut into a bolt shaft that is the same original diameter as the unthreaded section.

In the H&R/other-Napa design, the threaded section is located on a thicker section which is designed to be approximately the same diameter as the original stock straight bolt. To make it fit and work like a camber bolt, the threaded section sticks outside of the strut.

Look at these two pictures and locate the narrowest cross sections of the bolts. There are multiple factors that ultimately determine the strength, but cross section area is a big one. The end result is that the H&R are spec'd at a higher torque.
All and all used in the correct fashion, none of them will fail.
Ive used the eibachs and napas with great success. No slippage.