Any UC Berkeley folks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by broom_dude
what couses did u guys take for electives?

I have no idea what to take ..........

I am going to take ME101 and stat 25....any inputs?
ME101 is one of the electives that I took. HMLV manufacturing if I recall. It's a good class and teaches you a lot about manufacturing theory. My course was taught by Min, which I think I saw was teaching it again this semester. He's a pretty good guy. This course is probably the one course that benefited me the most in my current job as a Manufacturing Engineer.

Other electives I took (sorry, can't remember the course numbers)
Ocean Engineering (Yeung) - I can't really recommend this one, it was boring
Composite Materials (Dahran) - Pretty cool to learn about carbon fiber and stuff, not too bad on the math.
Combustion (Pello) - FUN! Learned about burning crap, a little about engines. Cool lab demos. Taught be Prof. Pello, he's a good Prof and I highly recommend him.

If anything, I'd suggest you take an advanced CAD course. I always see job postings for people with ProE, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks skill. Wish I took one.

Professor Szery(SP?) was cool. Think it was Andrew Szery, but anyhow, I took his fluid dynamics and I thoght it was probably the best class that I ever took at UCB.

Last edited by DoorKnob; 08-28-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:36 PM

where were all of you berkeley people last year :P
there's a korean restaurant down telegraph, a block or 2 past jack in the box, called sahn. it's owned by dynokim (dave). food is pretty good there. maybe you guys can resurrect the berkeley meet.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver STi Wagon
Originally Posted by vapor
there's a korean restaurant down telegraph, a block or 2 past jack in the box, called sahn. it's owned by dynokim (dave). food is pretty good there. maybe you guys can resurrect the berkeley meet.
we might just have to give it a shot.

-jon
Old 08-28-2005, 05:04 PM

Car Info: '99 STM 2.5RS --> '06 Scion xA --> ???
Originally Posted by vapor

I went to a meet there and met Mike, Matt and Pete, and we went for a drive in the hills.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
we should definitely resurrect the berkeley meet. any idea on where to meet though?? Underhill?
-Mark C.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: (2005 OBP STi - RIP), 2008 BMW M3
I'm taking EECS100, CE130, E77, and I'm on the waiting list for E190. So far, I've been eating at Cafe Intermezzo (I think that's what its called). I'm thinking about joining their F1 project. I saw the team and car by chance. They told me that if you put a lot of work into the car, you're basically guaranteed to drive the car. We should all meet up sometime to atleast for a network to help each other out or atleast make some friends. From the vibe I'm getting from UCB, you need all the connections you can get.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
I dont go to Berkeley, but I live in the area and go by campus a few times a week.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
Thanks a lot!

I think I am going to stick with ME101 then. The most important thing I want to know is.......................was it easy? lot of work? Is it math or writing based?

Also, I enrolled in the combustion course, but it has a conflict with one of my major required courses......so I probably can't take it....even though I really want to learn more about combustion.......(They won't offer it in spring06, and I am going to grad by then.......so.... I guess I am out of luck)

I am thinking about a AutoCad course too, but I don't see one anywhere...........
I learned AutoCad before..but I forgot about it already, and I really like to refresh and learn more about it.

Finally, you reminded me about my nightmare fluid class last semester.....I got a D+.....................I hated it so much.....but it was probably the professor..not the course.......

Originally Posted by DoorKnob
ME101 is one of the electives that I took. HMLV manufacturing if I recall. It's a good class and teaches you a lot about manufacturing theory. My course was taught by Min, which I think I saw was teaching it again this semester. He's a pretty good guy. This course is probably the one course that benefited me the most in my current job as a Manufacturing Engineer.

Other electives I took (sorry, can't remember the course numbers)
Ocean Engineering (Yeung) - I can't really recommend this one, it was boring
Composite Materials (Dahran) - Pretty cool to learn about carbon fiber and stuff, not too bad on the math.
Combustion (Pello) - FUN! Learned about burning crap, a little about engines. Cool lab demos. Taught be Prof. Pello, he's a good Prof and I highly recommend him.

If anything, I'd suggest you take an advanced CAD course. I always see job postings for people with ProE, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks skill. Wish I took one.

Professor Szery(SP?) was cool. Think it was Andrew Szery, but anyhow, I took his fluid dynamics and I thoght it was probably the best class that I ever took at UCB.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM

I heard about their F1 project too, and it is leaded by one of my previous professor (He is a really cool guy).

But I have no idea how to get into the project....and I really would like to know

Originally Posted by supertek75
I'm taking EECS100, CE130, E77, and I'm on the waiting list for E190. So far, I've been eating at Cafe Intermezzo (I think that's what its called). I'm thinking about joining their F1 project. I saw the team and car by chance. They told me that if you put a lot of work into the car, you're basically guaranteed to drive the car. We should all meet up sometime to atleast for a network to help each other out or atleast make some friends. From the vibe I'm getting from UCB, you need all the connections you can get.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
just go to etch and look for formula SAE postings. Once school starts they should also be tabling

check the berkeley website as well
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM

One more thing, anybody park their car in the student parking lot on the north side of campus (Lower Hearst parking structure)?

I usually park on the south side near my gf's apartment, but I feel tired walking for 15mins everyday uphill to class in Etch Hall!!!!!!!!

I am not familiar with the lower hearst parking structure, and I never tried to park there........How early do I need to be there in order to gurantee myself a parking space??? (Don't feel like letting parking attendants to touch my car)
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 PM

Thanks a lot!

I think I am going to stick with ME101 then. The most important thing I want to know is.......................was it easy? lot of work? Is it math or writing based?

Also, I enrolled in the combustion course, but it has a conflict with one of my major required courses......so I probably can't take it....even though I really want to learn more about combustion.......(They won't offer it in spring06, and I am going to grad by then.......so.... I guess I am out of luck)

I am thinking about a AutoCad course too, but I don't see one anywhere...........
I learned AutoCad before..but I forgot about it already, and I really like to refresh and learn more about it.

Finally, you reminded me about my nightmare fluid class last semester.....I got a D+.....................I hated it so much.....but it was probably the professor..not the course.......
ME101 was pretty easy. Math doesn't get much harder than multiplication, but it goes through the usual multi-step problem solving (to find x you have to calculate y and z first kind of thing). You do have to do a group project though that usually involves visiting a company and seeing what kind of improvements you can make and then doing a presentation on it.

No worries about failing stuff. I pulled a few D's and F's myself and still managed to graduate in 4.5 years. Actually I got a D in fluids the first time around too, and a D in another class, ME102a. That's the class that's follows CE130, but they changed the program the year I graduated and that course has a different name now.

One more thing, anybody park their car in the student parking lot on the north side of campus (Lower Hearst parking structure)?

I usually park on the south side near my gf's apartment, but I feel tired walking for 15mins everyday uphill to class in Etch Hall!!!!!!!!

I am not familiar with the lower hearst parking structure, and I never tried to park there........How early do I need to be there in order to gurantee myself a parking space??? (Don't feel like letting parking attendants to touch my car)
When I used to park there about 2-3 years ago, you would guaranteed to have a spot if you were there by 8am. If it's a lighter semester, you might be able to pull a spot around 8:45 for 9am classes on MWF or 9ish for the 9:30 classes on TuTh. You'll probably have to feel this one out it's hard to predict.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver STi Wagon
Originally Posted by ucbsti
just go to etch and look for formula SAE postings. Once school starts they should also be tabling

check the berkeley website as well
my old roomate from the dorms was big in the FSAE club. he has a super fast 2nd gen RX7 with 18g or something.

-jon
Old 08-28-2005, 11:45 PM

Me101 sounds okay then, but I hate presentations. Maybe I should take stat 25 instead.....

I am taking ME102 this semester....From your experience, I guess I need to watch out for this class..lol

damn, 8am...I think i will stick with the south side parking lot (usually will be full after 10am)

Originally Posted by DoorKnob
ME101 was pretty easy. Math doesn't get much harder than multiplication, but it goes through the usual multi-step problem solving (to find x you have to calculate y and z first kind of thing). You do have to do a group project though that usually involves visiting a company and seeing what kind of improvements you can make and then doing a presentation on it.

No worries about failing stuff. I pulled a few D's and F's myself and still managed to graduate in 4.5 years. Actually I got a D in fluids the first time around too, and a D in another class, ME102a. That's the class that's follows CE130, but they changed the program the year I graduated and that course has a different name now.

When I used to park there about 2-3 years ago, you would guaranteed to have a spot if you were there by 8am. If it's a lighter semester, you might be able to pull a spot around 8:45 for 9am classes on MWF or 9ish for the 9:30 classes on TuTh. You'll probably have to feel this one out it's hard to predict.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 AM

Car Info: '99 STM 2.5RS --> '06 Scion xA --> ???
Originally Posted by chakming888
we should definitely resurrect the berkeley meet. any idea on where to meet though?? Underhill?
-Mark C.
Underhill sounds good. I went there for a little car photoshoot at 4am a few months ago with some college-age-looking friends, and the security didn't give us any crap, just odd looks.

Quick Reply: Any UC Berkeley folks?