Any UC Berkeley folks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 02:23 AM

Car Info: (2005 OBP STi - RIP), 2008 BMW M3
Any UC Berkeley folks?

I'm a transfer student that got accepted to UCB as a Mechanical Engineer. Just wanted to know if anyone on i-club was going to UCB since I see a lot of WRXs and a few STIs out there. Do you guys have any tips for a newbie on campus?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:36 AM

Car Info: 2008 lamborghini murcielago lp640 reventon
Where are you transfering in from? I'm also a mech engineering major but I have a few more lower div classes before I transfer.. either going to SJSU, Poly or Berkeley.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:37 AM

I just graduated December '03 as a ME from UCB.

You'll live in Etcheverry Hall, there's some vending machines on the bottom floor. That bottom floor is also has fairly quiet bathrooms in case you need to take care of business.

I would recommend that you take classes from Professor Fernandez-Pello. He's a very good instructor and pretty entertaining. He usually teaches thermo and a combustion class.

Profressor Dahran is also a fairly good one, I know he teaches a composite materials class, but can't remember if he taught any the core classes.

Professor Yeung is a pretty nice guy, good (helpful) to students, but his teaching style is only so so.

Do you're home work, go to office hours, attend TA sections. They'll get you through your classes.

Bechtel Hall has the Engineering Library on the ground floor. If you go up to the auditorium level, there are some couches there and you can catch some shuteye. There's also a little food cafe thing near there, but it's some what expensive.

I used to go to the Euclide Cafe (on Euclide Ave of course) for food. It's good, cheap, and the owner is a nice guy. La Vals and La Burrita are also pretty decent places. Top Dog is over-rated.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:31 AM

Car Info: '99 STM 2.5RS --> '06 Scion xA --> ???
I live in Berkeley, don't go to the UC, but they have a small motorsports club I used to hang with. They had weekly car meets at the underhill parking lot on Channing Way and College Ave. Everybody was really nice and chill. They have a forum, too, http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~calmo/
Old 08-27-2005, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver STi Wagon
I go to UCB. I live at Chi Psi on Peidmont and durant, and i have a 03 PSM WRX Wagon with Anthracit P1's and JDM projectors. There are a couple of back STi's around but they arent on here. Mark also goes to UCB, he has a lowered 04 PSM sedan with helix exhaust.

See Ya around,
JOn
Old 08-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
I just graduated from Cal in may with my BS in ME as well. Yes its true, you will live in etch for your last few semesters.

If you are doing controls, make sure to take 132 with packard. Kazeroni is also a great prof, as is Tounge. Tounge only teaches vibrations and upper level dynamics though.

I also like the korean BBQ joint right down the street from etch. Spicy chicken is the way to go. I didnt get my STi until after I graduated, but there are quite a few WRX owners at cal. Jon (jdadour on here) is a great guy and helped me quite a bit with some installs. He also has a sweet as wagon that he takes up and down grizzly peak all the time

edit: Jon beat me to it =P
Old 08-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver STi Wagon
Originally Posted by ucbsti
I just graduated from Cal in may with my BS in ME as well. Yes its true, you will live in etch for your last few semesters.

If you are doing controls, make sure to take 132 with packard. Kazeroni is also a great prof, as is Tounge. Tounge only teaches vibrations and upper level dynamics though.

I also like the korean BBQ joint right down the street from etch. Spicy chicken is the way to go. I didnt get my STi until after I graduated, but there are quite a few WRX owners at cal. Jon (jdadour on here) is a great guy and helped me quite a bit with some installs. He also has a sweet as wagon that he takes up and down grizzly peak all the time

edit: Jon beat me to it =P
thanks for the kind words Kyle. im actually completely redoing the suspension as i found that my alignment was really positive camber, my front struts are blown and my springs dont match my STi struts. So i got:

-new KYB AGX front struts
-04 Prodrive STi springs
-rear camber bolts, along with a gnarly alignment from AutoInnovations
-Whiteline 22mm front and rear sway bars

IF ANY UC BERKELEY PEEPS want to hang out, let me know and we can have a mini Subaru meet in my fraternity's garage (it can hold 20 cars are there about 12 in there right now)

-jon
Old 08-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by DoorKnob
I just graduated December '03 as a ME from UCB.

You'll live in Etcheverry Hall, there's some vending machines on the bottom floor. That bottom floor is also has fairly quiet bathrooms in case you need to take care of business.

I would recommend that you take classes from Professor Fernandez-Pello. He's a very good instructor and pretty entertaining. He usually teaches thermo and a combustion class.

Profressor Dahran is also a fairly good one, I know he teaches a composite materials class, but can't remember if he taught any the core classes.

Professor Yeung is a pretty nice guy, good (helpful) to students, but his teaching style is only so so.

Do you're home work, go to office hours, attend TA sections. They'll get you through your classes.

Bechtel Hall has the Engineering Library on the ground floor. If you go up to the auditorium level, there are some couches there and you can catch some shuteye. There's also a little food cafe thing near there, but it's some what expensive.

I used to go to the Euclide Cafe (on Euclide Ave of course) for food. It's good, cheap, and the owner is a nice guy. La Vals and La Burrita are also pretty decent places. Top Dog is over-rated.

i was gonna name you. LOL
Old 08-27-2005, 11:45 AM

nice jon. If you havnt already purchased the stuff, I know a guy in so cal that sells some sweet *** k-sport coilovers (36-way adjustable, electronic control unit coming soon) for 950. my buddy down there has them and thinks they are better than tein (flex or the RAs)
Old 08-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
hey, i have a few friends heading to davis,and one guy has a wrb sti, but hes not bringing it the first year. oh, and UCBSTI, with the ME degree, what kinda jobs are you looking for? and have you gotten one related to your field? Im changing my major because i can't really think of a job i can see myself doing with that degree. and ME is..pretty hard.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
I am also a UCB Student. my third year now. I am a ME/MSE major. If u are living in south side, expect to walk a lot to class or u can always bus or bike. =D

North side, near foothill is Engineer's Territory.

Jon, when are you going down to AutoInnovations?? I am going to get an alignment there too pretty soon, as soon as I get my rims in.
-Mark C.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Car Info: (2005 OBP STi - RIP), 2008 BMW M3
I live on the southside of UCB. I live on Haste, just about right next to where all the sororities and fraternities. It take me about 15-20minutes just to walk to the engineering area. It really dawned on me that it gets pretty boring when you have no internet at the house you're staying, no friends that came to UCB with you, and you don't have a car. The freakin' land lord is asking $70 a month just for me to park my car behind the house...As if parking wasn't already a problem there. Any other suggestions or tips for surviving one of the best engineering schools in the U.S. would be much appreciated.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
I am also a ucb ME student. nice to meet u!

what couses did u guys take for electives?

I have no idea what to take ..........

I am going to take ME101 and stat 25....any inputs?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:16 AM

Car Info: Saabaru
I go to UCB...I don't have rex, but I just recently bought a 92x so its the same thing...I feel like I'm the only one who's not ME, I'm doing MCB/Psych, on more semester and I'm out...you guys have any suggestions for a rear sway bar?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
hey, i have a few friends heading to davis,and one guy has a wrb sti, but hes not bringing it the first year. oh, and UCBSTI, with the ME degree, what kinda jobs are you looking for? and have you gotten one related to your field? Im changing my major because i can't really think of a job i can see myself doing with that degree. and ME is..pretty hard.

I work full time as a Design Engineer for Applied Materials

For my electives, I took ME132 (controls), ME110 (product design), ME128 (computer aided mechanical design), and MEC117 (structural aspects of biomaterials)

Quick Reply: Any UC Berkeley folks?