Another Useless Tire Thread - Need Help Choosing Daily Tire!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
They are popular with drift because they are cheap. They probably have the highest grip : price ratio. The 595RS-R has been around for some time. The 595RS-RR is new. The RS-RR is supposed to have a 200TW rating in the US. Even then, the RS-R showed great mileage for being a 140TW, it was showing almost 300TW mileage. IIRC, Tim put a ****ton of miles on a set he had.

Unfortunately, I usually don't care about road noise. The only time I've had a problem was near bald Dunlop ZII. those were so loud you couldn't hold a conversation in the car. But only at ~75mph. Speed up to ~80 and they were fine.

Vato has RS-R and my roomate has a set that I could probably throw on. If you're still in the area and want to go for a ride.
Yeah, I you don't mind.

Understandably, different people will have different preferences. I make a lot of work calls from my cars, so Flintstone-era tire noise would not be optimal.

I finally got to experience PSS. I can't stand those tires. They're way too soft.
I know there is an Overbear joke in there somewhere Way too soft in what regard?

Conclusion, I did not notice that PSS were special price, so I just bought those last night ($130/tire...$600 delivered). Not my first choice, but probably the best one considering my timing and options. I will look more into the 595 in the meantime...and seriously nerd rage is RS-3s get restocked on Monday

Last edited by LxJLthr; 12-16-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I didn't get any feedback from them. Sure they were comfortable. But when it came time to change direction, there was no confidence. Being on soft suspension probably didn't help. Soft suspension and soft tires for a double dose of insulating comfort.

My roommate who threw the wheels on his oversprung BRZ kinda liked them. But his **** is really jarring in track form.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 AM

I didn't get any feedback from them. Sure they were comfortable. But when it came time to change direction, there was no confidence. Being on soft suspension probably didn't help. Soft suspension and soft tires for a double dose of insulating comfort.

My roommate who threw the wheels on his oversprung BRZ kinda liked them. But his **** is really jarring in track form.
Interesting...lack of feedback and no turning confidence as compared to which other tires?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:22 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Pretty much all of these...

https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoin...4/#post3600670
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I finally got to experience PSS. I can't stand those tires. They're way too soft.
Interesting...lack of feedback and no turning confidence as compared to which other tires?
Judging a Max Summer tire on the merits of completely different tire and suspension categories. Interesting. Hey, did you know your WRX lacks feedback and has no turning confidence compared to a Porsche GT3? I cannot stand WRXs. Way too soft.

Unfortunately, don't care about road noise.
That explains your Vegas experience so clearly now...

Last edited by LxJLthr; 12-16-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Judging a Max Summer tire on the merits of completely different tire and suspension categories. Interesting. Hey, did you know your WRX lacks feedback and has no turning confidence compared to a Porsche GT3? I cannot stand WRXs. Way too soft.
Did you not look at the list? There's 4 different suspension configurations and a mix of tire sizes and categories.

From my experience, changes with wheels and tires have netted pretty minimal changes to how the car drives. Going from the PSS to the ZIISS was night and day. When the PSSs were on, I though it was just the stock suspension that made the car suck. I was surprised to see how much of a difference the tires made.

That explains your Vegas experience so clearly now...
Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Did you not look at the list? There's 4 different suspension configurations and a mix of tire sizes and categories.

From my experience, changes with wheels and tires have netted pretty minimal changes to how the car drives. Going from the PSS to the ZIISS was night and day. When the PSSs were on, I though it was just the stock suspension that made the car suck. I was surprised to see how much of a difference the tires made.
What I am saying is that you are not being very objective.

Pilot Super Sport is still a Max Summer tire while Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec is an Extreme Performance tire. Two drastically different categories, designs, and target markets. So you essentially compared a WRX and a 911. That does not help anyone with understanding characteristics of either product (especially once you start introducing other variables like all of your aftermarket parts).

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/018/489/nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg
Nevermind. I don't want to go any more off topic then I already have...
Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Car Info: DGM STI
Congrats! I think you'll be happy with the purchase. For a daily, I always preferred Max over Extreme. Too many creature comfort sacrifices on the Extreme side. Plus with the occasional rain, max always seems to perform better wet.

Went through a lot of combos over the years. Always felt like there was some sort of compromise. With the PSS, for daily driving, it feels like there aren't any compromises. (At least not considering repeated laps.) Perfect blend of performance, low NVH, decent fuel economy, longevity.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

What I am saying is that you are not being very objective.

Pilot Super Sport is still a Max Summer tire while Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec is an Extreme Performance tire. Two drastically different categories, designs, and target markets. So you essentially compared a WRX and a 911. That does not help anyone with understanding characteristics of either product (especially once you start introducing other variables like all of your aftermarket parts).
I linked a list of NINE different tires and the ZIISS isn't even on it! Most of the tires listed are categorized lower than Max Performance Summer.

I don't understand how the aftermarket parts are variables. I've had multiple sets of wheels and tires on the car at every stage it was in.

Everything in the list, I prefer over the PSS. Including the RE92.