Another United Auto Workers "Victory"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Without hanging myself w work, I'll say we're non-union and I have no real big complaints to speak of.

Coming from where I was at, all I gotta say in regards to the Unions is this...

"Way to **** up NUMMI and stagnate an entire area of workers.".

If that won't suffice then let's look at how I was treated as a Union Member while at Autowest.

As much as I'd like to see Sergio fix all of Chrysler's problems, some of this is beyond him and honestly I hope he kicks the Union to the curb and the other 2 domestics do the same.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:25 PM

Car Info: DGM STI
Yep. Get rid of them so they can go this route:
Subaru?s secret: Marginalized foreign workers power an export boom
(.. and line executive pockets with tens of millions in bonus money.)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Slide
You hate everybody
Nope not everyone. Just religious freaks, unions, LEO, criminals, truck drivers, and liberals/eco freaks.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Well this escalated quickly

Originally Posted by El Wray
Yep. Get rid of them so they can go this route:
Subaru?s secret: Marginalized foreign workers power an export boom
(.. and line executive pockets with tens of millions in bonus money.)
Nice job reading nothing but the article headline So I am guessing you will now be trading your STi than in exchange for something more socially conscious? Toyota Prius perhaps?

Originally Posted by Overbear
Was going to type out a long rant but, its easier if I just say...

I put unions on the same level as terrorists, illegal ailens, and rapists.
Wait, you mean malicious extortion and fear mongering is bad?! *GASP*

And they are not illegal immigrants! They are undocumented residents with hardship struggles. We should be considerate to their plight! /Sarcasm

Nope not everyone. Just religious freaks, unions, LEO, criminals, truck drivers, and liberals/eco freaks.
Hmmmmm Yes. Yes. Not going there Yes. Seriously? Yes.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
You mean they had protected employment and benefits during the 8 years of economic depression, sub standard quality, crappy sales outside SUVs and trucks, tax payer funded bankruptcies and tens of billions in government bailout money? Regardless that they directly contributed to that situation to begin with? And now that the things have turned out, they have forgotten history and returned to their business as usual practices. If this was truly a solution why are other car manufacturers are doing just fine if not better making cars here?

Nice job reading nothing but the article headline So I am guessing you will now be trading your STi than in exchange for something more socially conscious? Toyota Prius perhaps?
Keeping the STI, adding an eGolf to the fleet. (Probably a socially conscious conundrum there, but that's another matter.) Yes, I read the article. The bottom line is the first thing executives will do after gutting unions is **** over the worker bees to drive up stock for a couple of points and pad their bonuses.

You think The Big Three has mostly ****ty cars, bankruptcies, bailouts, poor sales because of the assembly line? False. They have ****ty cars because all of the concept, design, source fabrication, interior material decisions get made from the top down. Idiots were green lighting Excursions and Hummers in the middle of a skyrocketing fuel prices, waiving off ignition switches to save a few cents per unit. They put off eco-friendly cars years because they thought adoption rate would be slower. Sure assembly affects quality. The rest of the things I mentioned affect it much more. None of those involved in making larger business decisions are union workers. Cutting costs may increase profit (read: shareholder value) but will do nothing to magically make them not produce crappy cars.

Union pensions might be an issue. Unions as a whole are not.

Last edited by El Wray; 10-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Slide
^^^^true...that and they were still paid $25 hr for an entry level unskilled job....
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
^^^ LOL yup obviously

On a different note, did you know that a new Chevy Tahoe for easily go into the $80k+ MSRP range if one are not easy on the options?!
You're forgetting the additional $20/hr in benefits (Medical/Dental/Vacation/Sick)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The bottom line is the first thing executives will do after gutting unions is **** over the worker bees to drive up stock for a couple of points and pad their bonuses.

You think The Big Three has mostly ****ty cars, bankruptcies, bailouts, poor sales because of the assembly line? False. They have ****ty cars because all of the concept, design, source fabrication, interior material decisions get made from the top down. Idiots were green lighting Excursions and Hummers in the middle of a skyrocketing fuel prices, waiving off ignition switches to save a few cents per unit. They put off eco-friendly cars years because they thought adoption rate would be slower. Sure assembly affects quality. The rest of the things I mentioned affect it much more. None of those involved in making larger business decisions are union workers. Cutting costs may increase profit (read: shareholder value) but will do nothing to magically make them not produce crappy cars.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Keeping the STI, adding an eGolf to the fleet. (Probably a socially conscious conundrum there, but that's another matter.) Yes, I read the article. The bottom line is the first thing executives will do after gutting unions is **** over the worker bees to drive up stock for a couple of points and pad their bonuses.

Regarding the article. United States and Japan economic, business and political environments cannot be more different. You cannot use US ruler to measure everyone else's stuff. It is not a 1 to 1 comparison. I am not saying I am defending everything in the article, but it is not as simple as you make it seem. But I guess everyone has overriding prejudices and will only focus or deduce results that support them.

Regarding unions. Again, you are not seeing the bigger picture. I agree with you regarding the concept, design and fabrication BUT probably not for the same reasons as you.

How much money and flexibility do you think was left over for those things after all of their labor costs contract obligations? How receptive or flexible were the union bosses to complete assembly line changes, retooling and education? Etc etc etc. Unions are in the habit of doing the most short sighted conservative self serving thing, not the most long term progressive value adding thing. "Reform" and "Union" cannot coexist in their current modern day versions. It is simple as that.

Also, the first thing I stated is that this should not be inferred as defending management as there are separate issues there (as well as the government). No one is innocent. But to each their own Kool Aid I guess.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-12-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Old School

2 of 3 companies were going to fail and it wasn't just low sales. They are on the hook for crazy pensions, and labor costs.

So many other companies can produce here and the workers HERE, in the USA, are pretty damn happy.

In terms of Japan: That guy isn't a slave.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Old School

And Ford being forward thinking redid their production, labor and structures. This enabled them to NOT have to turn to the public to stay a float.

In the end Chrysler could even survive without selling to yet another European giant. UAW is most definitely an issue here. and a growing one, because these obligations only grow, never get reduced.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
2 of 3 companies were going to fail and it wasn't just low sales. They are on the hook for crazy pensions, and labor costs.

So many other companies can produce here and the workers HERE, in the USA, are pretty damn happy.

In terms of Japan: That guy isn't a slave.
For ****s and giggles, I have been trying to find articles and technical literature on UAW pension funding requirements. I think typically there is a partial funding formula/requirement, but I swear UAW has something crazy like 100% funding into the future. But I might be dead wrong and thinking of something else on this one...so not gonna go on record with this one

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
And Ford being forward thinking redid their production, labor and structures. This enabled them to NOT have to turn to the public to stay a float.

In the end Chrysler could even survive without selling to yet another European giant. UAW is most definitely an issue here. and a growing one, because these obligations only grow, never get reduced.
Yup.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
I work a biopharmaceutical company where the operators in manufacturing and the facilities personnel are union. After what I've seen and heard, I'm not a fan of unions.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)

Lovely attitude. You sure that works for you?

Last edited by TheFozz; 10-13-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:34 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by TheFozz
Lovely attitude. You sure that works for you?
46 years and counting

but as I have always said, my views are my own and I don't expect others to live by them.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:04 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Should have let the car companies go bankrupt/closed, that would have busted up UAW real quick

Quick Reply: Another United Auto Workers "Victory"