Another United Auto Workers "Victory"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Another United Auto Workers "Victory"

Not sure how many are following the UAW vs Chrysler contact situation (and obviously the barely avoided strike), it looks like is has been resolved.

I am definitely looking forward to the increase in UAW productivity and quality equal to the increase in wages and benefits without impacting non-union workers or the price of cars. /Sarcasm

UAW Rallying Support for Fiat Chrysler Contract with Promise of Higher Wages - WSJ

The tentative agreement, which is expected to be presented to local UAW officials on Friday and put to a union vote later, would raise the maximum pay of newer hires to $29 an hour, similar to the top rate for veteran workers, according to people familiar with the deal...

...Union approval would empower UAW President Dennis Williams to push for a similar deal with Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. , which are both operating under contract extensions...

...Analysts estimated the previous deal, which capped entry-level worker pay at about $25 an hour, would have increased the company’s hourly labor costs by at least 10%, or about $500 million, in the first year of the contract, bringing them closer to $54 an hour. With a higher cap, the labor bill will likely be higher without any other cost concessions."

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Damn...I can sit on an assembly line and build ****ty cars!!! Where are they hiring?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Dude that's only ~ $60K/year
they ain't getting rich. If we want cars to be built in this country, we have to pay people enough to show up for work

For point of reference, in 2013 FCA's CFO made over $2-million/year or $1000/hour
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
they ain't getting rich. If we want cars to be built in this country, we have to pay people enough to show up for work

For point of reference, in 2013 FCA's CFO made over $2-million/year or $1000/hour
First of all, I have just as many issues with C-Level structure as with labor unions'. More than one piece of the puzzle is broken in the current system. But that's a different conversation and to stay on topic...

...Dude, that's only $60k your FIRST year as inexperienced labor with full job security and raises regardless of performance or accountability. What's it gonna be after 10 years in the system without a change in tasks? There is a big difference between paying to just show up and paying to actually perform and provided increased value with increased pay (this goes for CEOs just as well). ****, kids with 4 year accounting degrees and CPA degrees are not seeing $60k out of school...and in that profession one needs to maintain between 30-80 hours of annual continuing education to stay relevant.

And since there is no free lunch, where is this $500M of increased labor cost in the FIRST year alone going be recouped? Increase in vehicles MSRPs or stagnation/cutting of non-union labor wages/benefits? Ford F150s are already seeing $70k price tags. What's next? $40k base Chrysler 300?

I am absolutely all for having American made local stuff...not too sure keeping this process up is part of the solution.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-09-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

1) 60k a year where these factories are is easily a living salary. This is not bay area cost of living.

2) these are entry level jobs, folks who need no skill, or schooling, and will be taught on the job. It only goes up from there.

3) There are MANY foreign auto makers who pay their workers well, who love making quality cars right here in the USA, and are not union.

UAW is what makes the big 3 suck, not anything else. So many other car makes are fine in the USA without a union.

Average UAW pay is $55 or so an hour with benefits.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Damn skippy! And a $54 top step???? Hell a nurse who saves lives doesn't make that much...cops don't make that much...
Again... And to reiterate Lx....these are entry level jobs...

Show me you have skills and responsibility and then you will be worth more...but your first day at your first job...pressing buttons or flipping burgers...you make minimum wage...

And yes...the ceo is responsible for more than pushing a button...usually 1,000 more things responsible... Do I think they should make that much more??? Well it depends on the company and how successful he makes that company (and not just how much money it makes for the shareholders..) if the company is strong, has good infrastructure and material worth, makes good products or services and when it squanders money, it's done so in the way that makes its employees lives better.

Ok rant over

Btw, are these over paid jobs available locally? I want some easy money. I'm going to need it if I ever want to buy something at the rate inflation is continuing to skyrocket due to this "gimme I deserve more for nothing" times we live in...

Ok now rant over...
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
1) 60k a year where these factories are is easily a living salary. This is not bay area cost of living.
@Gagan...Thanks. Forgot that part in my rant LOL

@Lowend...Here is an approximate cost of living comparison between Detroit and San Francisco. $60k is roughly equivalent to $105k in the Bay. How many low skill entry level jobs pay that are in our area (that do not come with 60-100 hour work week grinds)?

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney
Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM

I agree that C-Level people have a lot more responsibility on their shoulders. For many task oriented workers it is hard to grasp the intrinsic value of strategic leadership. If one thinks that job is cake, go read a copy of Harvard Business Review. That said, CEO pay as compared to average worker and its link to actual performance has also gotten out of hand. I have just as much issues with them getting multi million Golden Parachutes for "trying new directions" without any results.

And here is food for thought, look into the union management pay structure and benefits...and see how much it is (dis)aligned with interests of a general worker or the companies they serve (not just UAW). I guess I should have qualified that I have nothing again concept of unions or wanting people to have stable or secured jobs...it is HOW those concept has been implemented and morphed into over time is what drives me nuts.

/Rant

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:13 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
They went from $25 to $29 /hour and the last raise was 8 years ago
Plug $25 into the handy dandy CPI inflation calculator
CPI Inflation Calculator

And you get $28.75
So adjusted for inflation, these guys just got a $0.25/hour raise
Old 10-10-2015, 02:48 PM

They went from $25 to $29 /hour and the last raise was 8 years ago
Plug $25 into the handy dandy CPI inflation calculator
CPI Inflation Calculator

And you get $28.75
So adjusted for inflation, these guys just got a $0.25/hour raise
Missing the big picture are we lad?

You mean they had protected employment and benefits during the 8 years of economic depression, sub standard quality, crappy sales outside SUVs and trucks, tax payer funded bankruptcies and tens of billions in government bailout money? Regardless that they directly contributed to that situation to begin with? And now that the things have turned out, they have forgotten history and returned to their business as usual practices. If this was truly a solution why are other car manufacturers are doing just fine if not better making cars here?

Anyway, you have your views and I have mine. I highly doubt online political/economic discussions ever make people think differently regarding their preexisting opinions, but it felt good to rant regardless

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-10-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM

^^^^true...that and they were still paid $25 hr for an entry level unskilled job....
Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 PM

^^^ LOL yup obviously

On a different note, did you know that a new Chevy Tahoe for easily go into the $80k+ MSRP range if one are not easy on the options?!
Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM

Yes...I know that all too well (as I look out in the driveway)
Old 10-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Was going to type out a long rant but, its easier if I just say...

I put unions on the same level as terrorists, illegal ailens, and rapists.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:21 PM

You hate everybody

Quick Reply: Another United Auto Workers "Victory"