another oil filter question LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
another reason for the smaller oil filter design was ground clearance

apparently Subaru had to repair some customers engines after the filter had been damage by road debris

ive been using fram ph3593a (installed dry) since my warranty ran out and the car is at 180k

started using rotella 5w40 synthetic and had numerous oil tests done by blackstone which all come back clean with a recommendation to run 5k+ between oil changes

and thats my contributions... tho i dont know what to make of this relief valve business and might have to rethink my choices

Name:  image-1_zpseec5b151.png
Views: 290
Size:  382.3 KB

Last edited by zumnwrx; 12-20-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I'm currently rocking a K&N filter with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Not pleased with my results though. I seem to be loosing oil during hard driving (Auto-X) .

I got the K&N because of the wrench off hex which is convenient. But if it's the reason why my oil is going missing, it's no good.

The next change will most likely be an OEM filter with more Mobil 1 oil. (60k service so it's sorta out of my hands.) If I'm still noticing issues, I'm going to try some Rotella.

Which M1 are you using? Usually, M1 is okay with N/A subaru motors. It gets such a bad reputation from shearing on turbo cars that it just becomes everyone hates M1. From what I've been seeing, however, M1 0w-30 is actually faring pretty well on the turbo motors, so if you're losing oil from hard driving, maybe try this out?

Originally Posted by 04GG
My personal guess is you're losing oil because it is Mobil1 I used it at first on the WRX and it went through it like nobody's business. Won't be using it again on this car. I didn't like the Rotella either, but at least it lasted.
Again, M1 shears on turbo cars, not so much on N/A cars. If you haven't liked M1 and RT6, look into German Castrol 0w-30. Found at any AutoZone, it's the black bottle, the only 0w-30 available by Castrol (I believe) and on the back, says made in Germany.

Just a quick comparison on M1 vs Rotella T6
Name:  WidmanM1ampRT6_zps55260566.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  114.8 KB
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by Gancherov
Also, get a Fumoto oil drain valve and don't get dirty changing your oil:
http://www.scoobymods.com/mods/impre...drainvalve.php
I have one of these too and LOVE it.

And the big deal is not so much how you can easy drain with no tools, it's more about how you can control the speed of the flow by slowing opening the valve. This totally eliminates the "splash" when you spin the oil plug off.

Lastly, I used to be worried about the fumoto accidentally opening, but when you play with one in person you realize why no one complains about it accidentally opening. In order for something in the road to accidentally open it (without damaging everything else causing all kinds of other damage), it would have to be a "Timo stick up the *** moment".
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Again, M1 shears on turbo cars, not so much on N/A cars. If you haven't liked M1 and RT6, look into German Castrol 0w-30. Found at any AutoZone, it's the black bottle, the only 0w-30 available by Castrol (I believe) and on the back, says made in Germany.
That's what most have said, the German stuff is apparently the original formula that we no longer have here. I used M1 for years on my N/A cars with no issues, so I figured it would be OK in the WRX, but it isn't. I am actually using this right now and it works great:

I buy it by the case and it comes out to about $7/qt.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
^^^^I like all the useful data above. Thank you for offering and including insightful intellect i-club.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by 04GG
My personal guess is you're losing oil because it is Mobil1 I used it at first on the WRX and it went through it like nobody's business. Won't be using it again on this car. I didn't like the Rotella either, but at least it lasted.
Yeah

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
You need to use some thicker oil for California boy..............
I think thicker might be the solution too.

Also, get a Fumoto oil drain valve and don't get dirty changing your oil:
http://www.scoobymods.com/mods/impre...drainvalve.php
I also have one of these. Good stuff.

Which M1 are you using? Usually, M1 is okay with N/A subaru motors. It gets such a bad reputation from shearing on turbo cars that it just becomes everyone hates M1. From what I've been seeing, however, M1 0w-30 is actually faring pretty well on the turbo motors, so if you're losing oil from hard driving, maybe try this out?
Either 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on what's in stock at Costco.

I think a 5w-40 anything might be a good call for my car.

I had a similar situation with the PedoVan. I normally ran 5w-30 and it would go through half a quart with one tank of gas. Randomly decided to throw in some 10w-40. No more oil consumption and everything ran so much better. But that was a 14 year old Ford V6.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
So, it took me a little while to upload these, but here are the pictures of the two filters side by side.

You can see how much larger the filter is pretty clearly. It will hold a little bit more fluid and theoretically has a larger surface area of filter media than the smaller one. Haven't cut both open to prove the latter, but the extra volume is enough for me.

Last edited by Gancherov; 01-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
lots of GREAT info on our Subaru filters here

Armand's Subaru Impreza Oil Filter Comparison
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
I am confident the Purolator filters have the proper Subaru bypass valve spec, but the Wix 51365 doesn't have a Subaru-spec bypass valve.

CORRECTION: Wix does have one

Wix filter (might not be the one Gancherov has), MEETS Subaru-spec
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=57712

Purolator filter, MEETS Subaru-spec
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...artnum=PL14460

Last edited by AWDfreak; 01-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

So, it took me a little while to upload these, but here are the pictures of the two filters side by side.

You can see how much larger the filter is pretty clearly. It will hold a little bit more fluid and theoretically has a larger surface area of filter media than the smaller one. Haven't cut both open to prove the latter, but the extra volume is enough for me.

IIRC, you're comparing a 2.0L filter (Purolator) to a 2.5L (Napa Gold). In general, the 2.5L filters are significantly smaller than the 2.0L filters. While both will work on the threads, that's just what the manufacturer states.

The PL14612 is the Purolator for the 2.5L if you want to compare apples to apples.

Also, as posted earlier, if you want the Napa Gold/Wix filter with the right bypass valve PSI, it's 7712/57712.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
lots of GREAT info on our Subaru filters here

Armand's Subaru Impreza Oil Filter Comparison
Yes, but only a comparison about the oil filters physical construction.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
IIRC, you're comparing a 2.0L filter (Purolator) to a 2.5L (Napa Gold). In general, the 2.5L filters are significantly smaller than the 2.0L filters. While both will work on the threads, that's just what the manufacturer states.

The PL14612 is the Purolator for the 2.5L if you want to compare apples to apples.

Also, as posted earlier, if you want the Napa Gold/Wix filter with the right bypass valve PSI, it's 7712/57712.
Which means what? Far as I can tell none of that is of any consequence. And I get to have more oil capacity.

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Yes, but only a comparison about the oil filters physical construction.
What more do you want?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Which means what? Far as I can tell none of that is of any consequence. And I get to have more oil capacity.
Don't get me wrong, there's no problem with you and your application using the PL14460, however, what you're comparing is completely irrelevant. Also, I know you like the bigger can size, and it seems that all you're looking for is can size, however, the PL14460 does not have an anti drain back valve. It's up to you to determine if this means anything to you.

Your picture is comparing apples to oranges. You're posting and comparing oil filters for different motors. The PL14460 does not fit on the 2.5L because it puts it too close to the exhaust manifold. You're saying the correct filter is better than an incorrect filter (for a 2.0L). This is pointless information and will only cause confusion for other people looking at this thread for information. The Napa Gold you chose is not even the correct filter for Subarus to use.

The bypass valve of the Napa Gold that you posted is rated 8-11 PSI. The required bypass valve PSI is ~23. If you're going to compare a Napa Gold filter, please at least use the one that is meant for our Subarus, as posted earlier 7712 (or WIX 57712).

To anyone reading this thread, I'd recommend looking at this thread:

(All Years) Subaru oil filter comparison - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM

What more do you want?
A physical comparison is one thing of its material make up. Another is how it works when put to use. Looking at it doesn't exactly tell you whether it works great or not. Plenty of people have done physical comparisons, since they do not have the proper equipment to test for functionality under usage.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, there's no problem with you and your application using the PL14460, however, what you're comparing is completely irrelevant. Also, I know you like the bigger can size, and it seems that all you're looking for is can size, however, the PL14460 does not have an anti drain back valve. It's up to you to determine if this means anything to you.

Your picture is comparing apples to oranges. You're posting and comparing oil filters for different motors. The PL14460 does not fit on the 2.5L because it puts it too close to the exhaust manifold. You're saying the correct filter is better than an incorrect filter (for a 2.0L). This is pointless information and will only cause confusion for other people looking at this thread for information. The Napa Gold you chose is not even the correct filter for Subarus to use.

The bypass valve of the Napa Gold that you posted is rated 8-11 PSI. The required bypass valve PSI is ~23. If you're going to compare a Napa Gold filter, please at least use the one that is meant for our Subarus, as posted earlier 7712 (or WIX 57712).

To anyone reading this thread, I'd recommend looking at this thread:

(All Years) Subaru oil filter comparison - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Correct, it needs to pull consistently at 22-23 psi range.

Quick Reply: another oil filter question LOL