another oil filter question LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Car Info: AW STI 05
another oil filter question LOL

so as we all know the OEM filter form subaru is typically the best to use but if any one could help me out on another oil filter thats also good that i can pick up at my local parts store would help alot thanks car is a 05 STI
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Yet to witness an oil filter failing as a cause of engine breakdown on any cars I've ever worked on. Buy whatevers on sale.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Define your definition of "best". If you mean that the current USDM blue (rebranded fram oil filter) is the best because of its bypass spring operating at the appropriate pressure when met, then yea it can be the "best" or "more reliable" than other competitor oil filters.

Other than that, it has the same number of pleats and same construction as its fellow fram counterparts.

Oil filters are often overlooked into. If you do regular oil changes and keep to your maintenance schedule ( 3000-3500 miles in between changes, no matter what oil you use) then that will make the biggest difference to your engine.

There have been many many many talks and tests on oil forums and such, but its just the same thing over and over again. Aside from gutting various filters apart and visually comparing the physical components, there needs to be tests on the individual parts in there such as the bypass springs and what psi they are rated for. But very very few have done that tests, most have just used a pair of snips to cut open filters and make their judgement from there.

USDM oil filters were changed to the blue filters because the previous black filters did not register consistently to the appropriate psi spring rate that was needed for our engines, it opened a few psi earlier.

Bottom line, even though aftermarket store bought off the shelf filters may vary in their bypass spring rate, I haven't heard issues come up with users using them through long term periods. As long as you change it out consistently and periodically, that will make the most difference and deter any product failure. With that said, I still use the black oem filters, mobile 1 filters, bosch etc. Just make sure that the size of the filter is not noticeably larger than the stock size. Pick a filter and go with it, and don't sweat it. Just don't forget to do your oil change!!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Napa Golds? WIX are the same.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Car Info: AW STI 05
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Define your definition of "best". If you mean that the current USDM blue (rebranded fram oil filter) is the best because of its bypass spring operating at the appropriate pressure when met, then yea it can be the "best" or "more reliable" than other competitor oil filters.

Other than that, it has the same number of pleats and same construction as its fellow fram counterparts.

Oil filters are often overlooked into. If you do regular oil changes and keep to your maintenance schedule ( 3000-3500 miles in between changes, no matter what oil you use) then that will make the biggest difference to your engine.

There have been many many many talks and tests on oil forums and such, but its just the same thing over and over again. Aside from gutting various filters apart and visually comparing the physical components, there needs to be tests on the individual parts in there such as the bypass springs and what psi they are rated for. But very very few have done that tests, most have just used a pair of snips to cut open filters and make their judgement from there.

USDM oil filters were changed to the blue filters because the previous black filters did not register consistently to the appropriate psi spring rate that was needed for our engines, it opened a few psi earlier.

Bottom line, even though aftermarket store bought off the shelf filters may vary in their bypass spring rate, I haven't heard issues come up with users using them through long term periods. As long as you change it out consistently and periodically, that will make the most difference and deter any product failure. With that said, I still use the black oem filters, mobile 1 filters, bosch etc. Just make sure that the size of the filter is not noticeably larger than the stock size. Pick a filter and go with it, and don't sweat it. Just don't forget to do your oil change!!

Damn PHo SHizzle you da man..LOL this all makes since to me thank you very much for clearing up a lot of questions i had
Old 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I've been using Mobile 1 filters (M110 to be exact) for about 7 years now, never had a problem. Oil never gets to the point where its black when I drain it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I've been using Mobile 1 filters (M110 to be exact) for about 7 years now, never had a problem. Oil never gets to the point where its black when I drain it.
That's always good.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I've always had good luck with Wix... very well constructed in general.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I have heard good things about wix as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
It comes down to personal preference. I myself won't use anything but mobil 1 filters on all my cars, this includes the turbo 4runner, and it sees very heavy, very extreme abuseive use. The only time I ran a wix filter, was after a emergency oil change on the trail (poped the oil cooler line on a rock). I did note lower oil presure the rest of the trip, but this could also be because I was forced to use cheep oil and not the mobil 1 10-40 it normaly runs.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
OE blues here. Got a hook up on crush washers from a very knowledgeable friend and fellow i-clubber. I should have enough for 20 more changes if Heedz does not bum them all :P
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I use purolator pure ones because they're easy to find and cheap.

However, I've been contemplating WIX and Napa Gold (rebranded WIX).
Wix: 57712
NAPA Gold: 7712

Both of these have the 23 PSI bypass valve in them that Subaru states is needed for their oil filters. Also, as previously stated, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you do regular oil change intervals.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 AM

Car Info: wrx02
I use whatever that's on sale with synthetic oil. I used mobile 1, K&N, Fram, bosch, and oem. They all did the job. No problem with my 10yrs+ old ej20.

I recently bought castro syntec + mobile 1 oil filter sale from autozone.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
been getting good deal on denso ones haha
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I worked for a tire/lube shop and I now work for a parts delivery company...

Most shops I deliver to (peninsula) use protec or ac delco filters, which I found to leak a lot from the main seal, the flat rubber gasket I suspect to be the cause, but that's just my guess

Protec filters are listed as the same product as wix, but wix are better quality IMO and don't leak as much

I've used many filters and have seen many places use different filters, and I usually buy oem filters from a dealership or buy filters from local vendors..

As long as its changed on time and you keep an eye on oil levels, it shouldn't matter, unless you don't like to leak oil onto your parking spot

Last edited by slugrx; 12-16-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: another oil filter question LOL