Airbag safety questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Airbag safety questions

I'd wanna get some advice from you guys before I start messing with my stuff.

I've got some airbag issues. Both my airbags deployed ('97 OBS). I now have a '02 MOMO steering wheel, but the airbag plug was torn out. My buddy has one that i can take from him, same MOMO steering wheel with airbag.

Now, will the MOMO steering wheel function along with '97 passenger airbag that I may purchase soon? And do I need a new dash in order to install the airbag or does it only have to be removed and plugged in?

Or would you recommend I try to procure a '97 Steering wheel/airbag and corresponding passenger airbag?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Car Info: LGT Wagon
I've heard that one should only purchase replacement airbags from the dealer using the VIN because of potential compatibility issues between the bag and the controller. Say there might have been a midyear change in the airbag system. So I think you better stick with a 97 airbag and ditch the momo. There is no guarantee it will work with the airbag controller or it might blow your head off because there is something different between the 97 and 02 seating position or steering column.

I would rather have no airbags than have something that was jury rigged, presuming of course the seat belts are in good condition and work properly.

As far as replacing the passenger side bag, if there is a cut out in the dash for the airbag you should just be able replace the airbag.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Hey Giibo, you PMed me on RS25 a while back about it.

I've seen many people on RS25 with steering wheel swaps and they seem to work perfectly. I myself bought an 04-05 WRX MOMO wheel, but the plugs weren't compatible with my car. In addition, I had broken the plug on my old airbag when I was taking it off, so I was driving around with a faulty airbag for awhile (was not connected though). Found a seller with a 99-01 RS steering wheel/airbag and installed it. It (presumably) works till this day. No airbag light or anything.

I'm pretty sure the 02-03 MOMO wheel will be compatible with your 97 L, but not 100% sure. Some have had problems with the splines (those with 95's or older) not lining up, etc. Make sure you take precaution when installing it, meaning disconnect battery, drain the rest of the power, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM

The manufacturers spend millions of dollars designing and testing these things to make sure they go off when they are supposed to and they don't cause injury. Even then the early airbags where killing small women in low speed collisions. So these things shouldn't really be messed with BECAUSE YOU CAN BE KILLED. It's not like any other part of the car.

Just because the airbag light isn't on doesn't mean it will fire when it is supposed to. And so the only way you know if a swap worked would be if the airbag deployed when it was supposed to. Has anyone over at RS25 had a swapped airbag deploy?

You also don't know because of incompatibility between the airbag and the control module that the airbag wouldn't go off when it's not supposed to and cause an accident because you then lost control of the vehicle.

Also, anytime you have an airbag out or it is disconnected, you should short the pins on the airbag connector to prevent the possibility of static electricity from igniting the airbag. Also when you set an airbag down, set it bag side up so if it where to accidentally go off, the metal base won't be propelled into your face or body. Basically you are dealing with explosives and you can easily get hurt if it goes off.

If you have to have a momo steering wheel, get one without an airbag and wear your seat belt religiously. It's not worth dying over.

I am an engineer that used to work in a crash test facility. I'm not just some tin foil hat wearing guy on a forum that is paranoid about technology or airbags.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Touche. Very good info.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Another thing to point out... if your airbags deployed you'll also need to replace the airbag control module and have it activated. If you don't you won't have functioning airbags anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dSpec
Touche. Very good info.
Thanks! Sorry if I came off as *****y.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Another thing to point out... if your airbags deployed you'll also need to replace the airbag control module and have it activated. If you don't you won't have functioning airbags anyway.
Ok great to hear this. I found an undeployed 97 OBS airbags set with computer module for sale. I will proceed with purchase. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
This is one topic I wont touch. Too much can happen to make it go wrong when your life is on the line. Glad to see you are going the correct route
Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by Giibo
Ok great to hear this. I found an undeployed 97 OBS airbags set with computer module for sale. I will proceed with purchase. Thanks for the input guys.
Be careful with used airbag parts. Make sure and get everything checked out.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Any specific things to look for?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

This.

My dad bought an airbag module for his old '93 Probe. Installed it and worked for a few days before it went bad and threw an airbag light.