3k mile tune up recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
3k mile tune up recommendation

hey guys. comin up on my 3k mark on my wrx, just wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations on dealers i should take my car to who will take care of my car as well as offer good prices, so that my wallet is taken care of as well. I live in danville, so taking her down to santa cruz for service might be a bit far. anyone have good experiences with any of the suby dealers around here? i just want a good job done, so i can keep her under warranty. thanks for your guyses help!
Old 08-08-2004, 10:52 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
3k or 30k ?

3k is just an oil change
Old 08-08-2004, 10:53 PM

yeah 3k, 3 thousand miles. i really wanna keep my car running well and follow the warranty. shouldnt i bring it to the dealers to get it serviced so they can sign off my book and stuff?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:59 PM
more than meets the eye

just change the oil yourself or ask a fellow member to show you how. save some $$.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
oil change. buy your own mobile one and oem filter. if you can't do it yourself, take it anywhere that will work with customer provided oil, most places will.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 PM

so if i change it myself, does it keep the car under warranty? cuz the book that i got with my car, it has the box for who did the work. cuz i mean i can change the oil myself, i just dont have the oil filter wrench, and i dont really know where what is on the car yet.

Will changing the oil myself keep the car under warranty?

also, isnt it a bit soon for mobil 1 synthetic? i heard people say to wait a bit later before putting in synth. thanks for the help guys! more tips and advice please.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:13 PM
more than meets the eye

uh, yeah your warranty be FINE if you change the oil yourself.

i didn't run synthetic until i hit 10k.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally Posted by thebing
so if i change it myself, does it keep the car under warranty? cuz the book that i got with my car, it has the box for who did the work. cuz i mean i can change the oil myself, i just dont have the oil filter wrench, and i dont really know where what is on the car yet.

Will changing the oil myself keep the car under warranty?

also, isnt it a bit soon for mobil 1 synthetic? i heard people say to wait a bit later before putting in synth. thanks for the help guys! more tips and advice please.
Debateable about when to go to synthetic, do it whenever feels right for you

As far as the warranty goes, you can do the work yourself just keep your receipts for the oil and filter and write down in the book and/or my.subaru.com that it was self performed, note date and mileage.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 AM

i see, thanks for the tips guys. a few more questions before i start getting annoying and getting on your nerves. would i need to jack the car up to get under it to release the oil? also, how would i know when it "feels right" to put in synthetic? this is my first new car, and so i wanna do everything right. wheres a good place to buy oil filters because im gonna go out on a limb and assume if i go to the dealer, they'll ream me. and does anyone around danville have an oil filter wrench i can borrow?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
3K!!!!!! . . . . . What to do? . .change the, Press the gas and keep driving your car. . . . Its all good
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Originally Posted by razorlab
IMHO, if you don't know that you have to jack up the car to change your oil then you shouldn't be changing your oil.
If you dont know that it's super easy to change the oil on WRX's without jacking them at all, then you shouldn't be posting snotty *** things on a message board.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by endeavor
Easy if you are an anarexic dwarf

I've heard that before, but it would seem like it would be a real PITA... especially for a first-timer that doesn't know where everything is.
I'm pretty fat and i can fit under there fine, you shouldn't be completely under the car anyway when the oil starts comin out, all i need is for my head to be about under the bumper and i can reach everything.

I have never jacked up either my wrx nor my sti to change the oil. Might be a good idea for the first time though, so its easier to see everything.

If you're going to be down there anyway, you might wanna look in to one of these:
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Makes it so much easier to change oil, you will most definately never need to jack the car up again, unless you lower your car and can't even reach the valve afterwards.

Quick Reply: 3k mile tune up recommendation