3k mile tune up recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by razorlab
what, hire a midget? Or are you talking about ramps? Or ghetto drive-half-the-car-up-the-curb?
I think he means the flat floor in a garage with a fumoto valve method
Old 08-09-2004, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
No fumoto valve necessary. Long arms optional.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Nope I never change my filter, I replaced it with a dixie cup. lol

I just reach up there and unscrew it. Maybe '04's have a monstrous splashguard.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Nope I never change my filter, I replaced it with a dixie cup. lol

I just reach up there and unscrew it. Maybe '04's have a monstrous splashguard.
actually, yea they do.

You can't change the oil w/o takin it off...
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Sucks dude...sorry about my tone up there^^, just looking out for the new guys that are being careful/thorough and asking questions.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Bleh its just 6 bolts and 4 pop rivets =P
Old 08-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
IMHO, if you don't know that you have to jack up the car to change your oil then you shouldn't be changing your oil.
well razorlab, my old lexus es250 had enough clearance that i could slide under the car and unscrew the bolt to train the oil. since this is my first wrx, and my first time doin maintenence, i've never been under the car, and i dont know what i need to remove to get to where i need to drain the oil. but maybe i shouldnt change my own oil. help is always nice. =)

and i was lookin at getting a fumoto valve because my friend says it makes it easy to check the oil conditions. yes i am a noob, and i dont know much, but thats why im lookin to you pros for help. anyone wanna voluteer a bit of their time and give me a hand and teach a noob a lesson when the time comes to do the deed? i think i have some beer somewhere in the pantry. =P

oh, and one more thing, oil filters doesnt matter what brand right? today at kragen i was looking and they have like 4 different "levels" of filters for the 04 wrx. any suggestions? or should i order an OEM replacement filter? dang im such a noob. sorry guys

Last edited by thebing; 08-09-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:38 PM

razorlab/bryan:

Thanks for your information. And no worries, Mondays kick my butt too. No harm done. And yeah I've got an 04, so it sounds like i'll have fun wrestling that shield off.

I'm gonna get annoying and ask a few more questions, so bear with me guys. I think I read somewhere before where someone got a 3 pack of OEM filters for a decent price on a website? Does that ring a bell with anyone? And also the crush washers, only the dealer has them or I can order them with me OEM filters online somewhere?

Also, when you guys talk about jacking up the car, you don't mean with the spare tire jack right? My uncle's got one of those auto shop car jacks, but I'd hafta trek out to SF to use it.

But thanks to all you guys who have contributed to the information. Keep it coming if theres anything else this noob needs to know. I think i might order one of those fumoto valves because I've only heard good things about them. Does anyone have a particular Dino oil brand/rating they swear by?

Thanks in advance!
brandon

Sorry , you caught me on a bad monday.

Anyways. If you are worried about warranty issues with changing your own oil, I suggest staying with the Subaru OEM filter just in case. That's what I use. Also, get some crush washers when you get the filter at the dealer. They are expensive, but again, the dealer would replace them with an oil change too so...

If you have an 04 and I think you do... You have to take off the plastic undertray to get access to the oil filter. It's kind of a pain in the *** the first time you do it. Something like 4 screws and 4 plastic pop-screws. Sounds easy but everything is a tad more difficult when you are on your back under the car with only 2" of clearance between you and the car. You can do what I did, cut the area out that is by the filter, then you don't have to take out the tray to change your filter everytime you change oil. Or, you can just take the thing off and leave it off like some people do, or just take it off everytime you change the oil.

As far as getting under the car, you can do it the traditional way... jack the car up using the jack point that is located in the middle front bottom of the car by the oil pan, make sure you don't use the oil pan to jack your car up! The jack point is a black metal plate with 4 bolts, 2 of which are bolted to the back of the plastic undetray that you need to take off to get to the filter. After you have jack the front of the car up, (remember to jack it up high enough so you can get under the car, also remember to put something behind your back wheels!) Place a jack stand under the side front jack points of the car (under the sideskirts) on each side, then lower the car with the jack onto the jack stands and take the jack out. Then get under the car and get messy!

If you want added insurance, when you take the jack out from the front of the car, put it on one side of the car by one of the jack stands. That way, in the rare event of one of the jack stands falling , the jack will be there to save your ****.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Have fun. The first time is always the hardest.

:bryan
Old 08-10-2004, 11:27 AM

wow those oil filters online cost an arm and a leg. its 10 bucks just for shipping. i feel like im better of getting reamed at the dealership for an oil filter. and is there anyone in the 925 area who has a car jack i can borrow? i guess tonite i'll try to get under the car and see if my fat self can fit without jacking it up.

and does anyone have a particular oil and viscosity they prefer or feel works better for our cars?

Quick Reply: 3k mile tune up recommendation