350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 03wrx =]
350z

I always thought 350z were quick but slower then sti...
That is until earlier this morning, i see my neighbor washing his 350z outside his house. I can tell he did some stuff to his car, but I wasn't sure how much.
Just noticed the 19" rims and suspension... and FMIC??! After we got done catching up and talking about his car he lets me ride shotty, and Damn his car hauls ***.
He got a twin turbo kit for his car, said it costed him around $7,500
Insane acceleration and torque in a smooth the powerband... he said it dynoed about 44x rwhp.
Damn, my car seems so slow now. =[

Anyways, apparently he got hooked up by the lotus driver from this month's steet car magazine after they met at a dyno... and they are now going to be doing a section for his car within a few months. Random story but thought I'd share.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Cup
VIP Member

Car Info: fast
damn that's insane. any pictures of his car?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
4xx whp seems a bit high..
Old 05-28-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by yungjin
I always thought 350z were quick but slower then sti...
That is until earlier this morning, i see my neighbor washing his 350z outside his house. I can tell he did some stuff to his car, but I wasn't sure how much.
Just noticed the 19" rims and suspension... and FMIC??! After we got done catching up and talking about his car he lets me ride shotty, and Damn his car hauls ***.
He got a twin turbo kit for his car, said it costed him around $7,500
Insane acceleration and torque in a smooth the powerband... he said it dynoed about 44x rwhp.
Damn, my car seems so slow now. =[

Anyways, apparently he got hooked up by the lotus driver from this month's steet car magazine after they met at a dyno... and they are now going to be doing a section for his car within a few months. Random story but thought I'd share.
Is your neighbor's name Mike? Silver 350z?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
smog

$7500 in parts,...what about labor? What kind of a nightmare is he going to have to deal with when it comes time to smog this thing? A twin Turbo set up couldn't possibly come with CARB certification...could it?

I told myself that my next car is going to be something that comes totally stock with all the HP i'm ever going to crave....

That said, I'm looking at Nissans 2007 GTR or perhaps the Shelby Cobra GT500. Or whatever Subarus answer to these HP monsters is going to be. In any case, I'm done with worrying about getting tickets for modifications, or having to convert the car back to stock to get it smogged, or voiding warranties...ect....it's just an expensive PITA.

Last edited by Chrisnonstop; 05-28-2005 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2005, 02:48 PM

Car Info: N/A
I've personally seen a dyno chart for a $10,000 Greddy twin turbo setup on a 350 and it was pathetic. Nothing a Sti with a down pipe, exhaust and tune wouldn't eat for lunch.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:12 PM

His name is Bruce w/ a silver 350z touring model...

I asked him about the 10k greddy twin turbo setup but he told me that
ppl that run that, have blown thier engines.
He runs another twin turbo set up, but i forget the name >_>
His was 7,500 for everything, including piggyback engine management, and install.

gh0st shadow: Yeah 44x rwhp may seem high, but then again, i've driven my friends 05 sti pertty hard w/ turboback-- which was fast but nothing, I was uncomfortable with since i drive a wrx. The acceleration in the twin turbo z made me **** my pants >_>.

Besides a lil extra crome in his engine bay coming from fmic etc, it looks pertty damn stock.
Reason being the engine bay is so compact in the 350z, that the turbo's have to be squeezed in there, after pulling out the engine and transmission. even staring really hard I could barely could see one of the turbo's...a cop would never notice.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

what i am getting at is i dont think a stock motor would last at that power level for to long.. but i am no z expert.. Just that the other tiwn turbo kits i have seen werent anything near that power level..

THose arent the lowest compression motors, which means to get to that power level he is running more boost then other kits (or much larger turbos).

Who knows need more details, prob the owner just bsing or thinking that crank hp means whp...
Old 05-28-2005, 03:41 PM

From what I've been told, the greddy 350z turbo kit is a spinoff from the older 300zx kit; so it isn't all that great. My guess is your neighbor might be running the APS kit. A friend is running that kit and is putting down around 450whp also.

Originally Posted by yungjin
His name is Bruce w/ a silver 350z touring model...

I asked him about the 10k greddy twin turbo setup but he told me that
ppl that run that, have blown thier engines.
He runs another twin turbo set up, but i forget the name >_>
His was 7,500 for everything, including piggyback engine management, and install.

gh0st shadow: Yeah 44x rwhp may seem high, but then again, i've driven my friends 05 sti pertty hard w/ turboback-- which was fast but nothing, I was uncomfortable with since i drive a wrx. The acceleration in the twin turbo z made me **** my pants >_>.

Besides a lil extra crome in his engine bay coming from fmic etc, it looks pertty damn stock.
Reason being the engine bay is so compact in the 350z, that the turbo's have to be squeezed in there, after pulling out the engine and transmission. even staring really hard I could barely could see one of the turbo's...a cop would never notice.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

hmm interesting.. know the trims of the turbos or any details on the kit?

Doesnt sound that bad.. how are the stock motors handling that power?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:52 PM

hmm may be aps kit, not sure.
all i know is that the bov (that i assume came with the kit)
is a recirculating kind that makes the sounds "woot-woot-woot" sounds at lower rpms.

he uses 91 octane, but says he has to mix in some 100 to prevent detonation.
And, as far as I know his engine is stock.

Supposedly, the people from street car magazine(eh, not sure if thats the name)
are doing a power pages type section on his car with numbers, so we'll see...
he said around 520 crank hp.

Last edited by yungjin; 05-28-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
44x whp sounds about right for a 7,500 twi turbo kit, the greddy twin turbo kit goes for 5k so i'm guess he's got the more expansive power enterprise twin turbo kit bigger turbos >< , the z's still a bit heavy for my tastes.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Check out the Forced Induction forum on my350z.com

http://www.my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182

There are also some G35s with FI.

http://g35driver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24
Old 05-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Car Info: WW evo
LOL...I wish the Greddy TT kit will put down 4xx whp. APS kit alone is over 7k and installation is around 3k because the motor has to come out.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

decent numbers on some of those kits

Quick Reply: 350z