Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
2017 Impreza

2017 Subaru Impreza marks debut of Subaru Global Platform

Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:02 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
New tail arrangement looks a little Toyota-ish. Front revised, but still very similar. Side profile looks a little Mazda-ish. Feels like the freshening that it is. I like the door sculpting, but it is totally unnecessary.

Wagon back half looking a little Prius.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-23-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Weird. I can't say that I like much of anything about it.

the lower door sculpting is cool. Upper just seems unnecessary. Could have just left the first ridge and eliminated the lower one. I can't stand the way the front door handle is inside of the groove and the lower one is outside of it. Would look better if they moved the rear door handle into the pillar or something. Hid it.

The upper rear window spoiler on the hatch looks like an afterthought. They're trying to hide it too much. I'd prefer a more agressive one with the stupid shark fin hidden under or in it... like a notch or something.

Sedan doesn't look like a sedan. It looks like the mazdas... like a hatch. Like a sedan that wanted to pretend it was a hatch...

There's just a lot of angles that don't need to be there and don't match up.

Front end looks like it hangs pretty far out there too.

But for the most part todays subaru crowd isn't buying it for looks. Same reason they weren't buying civics and corolla's for looks. They're buying it for value, reliability and safety.

Curious what the WRX/STI will do and if they'll ever bring a real wagon back.

What's up with the crosstrek?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Both my younger brothers drive 4th generation Imprezas. They're already low to the ground at 5.7 inches off the ground. They do indeed scrape sometimes at some driveways.

The new 5th generation Impreza is lowered even further 0.4 inches to 5.3 inches of ground clearance. Great for handling and MPG, bad for driveways.

I noticed the lack of the mention of a manual transmission. The official press release makes no mention of a manual transmission.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease...t-2017-impreza

I contacted Subaru of America about this... They told me the earliest I'll get an answer is by the end of this week.

I do like what they've done. The styling is nicely evolutionary. The Sport trim level is no longer just sport in name, it now has a sport-tuned suspension and brake-based torque vectoring and a trim-exclusive rear spoiler. Android Auto has finally been integrated into the infotainment system. The FB20 engine FINALLY gets direct-injection. And most of all, the chassis has been stiffened more than 70% over the already-stiff 4th generation Impreza chassis (GJ/GP).

Last edited by AWDfreak; 03-23-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:50 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
So they should now be called the "Subaru 3" or "Subaru 6" instead of "Impreza"?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by AWDfreak
Both my younger brothers drive 4th generation Imprezas. They're already low to the ground at 5.7 inches off the ground. They do indeed scrape sometimes at some driveways.

The new 5th generation Impreza is lowered even further 0.4 inches to 5.3 inches of ground clearance. Great for handling and MPG, bad for driveways.

I noticed the lack of the mention of a manual transmission. The official press release makes no mention of a manual transmission.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease...t-2017-impreza

I contacted Subaru of America about this... They told me the earliest I'll get an answer is by the end of this week.

I do like what they've done. The styling is nicely evolutionary. The Sport trim level is no longer just sport in name, it now has a sport-tuned suspension and brake-based torque vectoring and a trim-exclusive rear spoiler. Android Auto has finally been integrated into the infotainment system. The FB20 engine FINALLY gets direct-injection. And most of all, the chassis has been stiffened more than 70% over the already-stiff 4th generation Impreza chassis (GJ/GP).
I like the upgrades... don't like the look. I'll have to see more photos... as per the usual... everything changes when you start putting wheels and what not on things. I don't care for stock bugeyes either... but I love them with a few upgrades. LOL!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
Someone pointed this out to me:

Getting there?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
It's as bland as unsweetened oatmeal.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I like the black wing. Nice touch from an OEM. Will have to wait and see how these look in person. The XV didn't really look good in pics, but looks good in person IMO.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-24-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Crosstrek concept, but all the current design language is there. Tails, skirts, door scuplt, that weird extra bump by the headlight, etc...

Last edited by 04GG; 03-24-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 2020 STI
looks meh to me
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM
General Pimpin'

They're swooshing everything back so much it just looks like ***.

The only thing I like about that concept for the CX is the tinted windows.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
I think Subaru needs to chill with the swept wheels. I think wheels that look fine only on one side only to look stupid on the other side need to stop being made.

2013-2015 XV Crosstrek wheel
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/crosst...yas-alloy1.jpg

2016-???? XV Crosstrek wheel
http://subaru-new-site.s3.amazonaws....n_wheels_0.jpg

As for the 2016 Subaru XV Concept, I don't mind the look at all but I want my 6-speed manual... a dual-range manual transmission would be nice but nobody in the Bay Area except me would buy that.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
General Pimpin'

I'd buy it.... LOL!

And yes... 6spd everything. There is absolutely no reason not to offer a quality 6spd in most of the line.

My wife has a 2015 forester with a 6spd. WAY better vehicle that the 2011 rubber band auto we had. Screw that thing. Even my wife hated it.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!

I have said this before and I will say it again...every mass production manufacturer (so excluding niche companies like Lotus, Ferrari, etc) currently only cares about selling as many cars as possible and make as much money as possible...this is accomplished by appealing to the broadest possible base of consumers possible...they don't care about anything remotely geared towards the average "enthusiast". And as awesome as cars such as GT350R and Hellcats are, very few people can afford $100-125,000 "halo" cars.

...which results in producing models as generic and bland and cost efficient as possible in order to avoid alienate anyone. Most Americans have become too fat, lazy, ignorant, stupid, oblivious, whatever evidenced by the fact that every new model advertises easy of Face-Tubing and WiFi-ing while driving instead of...you know...actually anything to do with ***ing driving?!?!

I have acquaintances in insurance world that are saying people already using excuses of "my car did not tell me there was another car in the blind spot"...or..."my auto-brakes did not work!" as excuses why they are not at fault in an accident.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 03-28-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Impreza