2002 Forester engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Forester 2.5S
2002 Forester engine swap

Hey All,

This post is for my brother, he owns a 2002 Forester 2.5S. A couple weeks ago his timing belt frayed off while driving and, well, ruined the engine.

He doesn't exactly have that much money right now, being a vet and going to school in Livermore but I was hoping someone could give some advice on this.

One of the cheaper options he thought of is getting a used engine for $1k-$2k and then bringing it to a shop and getting the old taken out and the new one put in. The car was given to him by our Aunt who was notorious for killing cars and this one finally broke.

Does anyone have recommendations on what engine to swap in? As well as any shops in the east bay area that are reliable? (we are in Livermore in an Apt complex at the moment). He was a diesel mechanic in the marine corp for a little over 8 years, but we don't have the space or equipment to attempt the swap ourselves. Or if anyone has the equipment and/or time to help us, I'm sure we could come up with something that would benefit you.

If anyone has any different ideas on what we can do (i.e. sell it for junk, buy a used xyz), please let me know too. He isn't set on any one idea yet, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Talk to Mert over at RBMS AutoCare. You might be surprised how inexpensive one can do a NA motor replacement like that.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
If you're going with a used motor, have the install shop get it for you. That way if it has a problem, it's their problem
Old 04-09-2016, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll give RBMS a call on Monday and see what he can do.

I'll ask them to check which engines they would be able to get for the car too. One shop I talked to already said that if they supply the motor, they'll put a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on it. Sounds decent to me, but I hope the engine isn't that expensive.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I am going to go the opposite direction and say that you should just put that money towards a newer/different car. I do not think the cost vs benefit will be worth it since the former will probably be greater than the vehicle's market value (KBB estimated excellent condition private party value at ~$3,100 and fair condition at ~$2,100).

- Most reputable Subaru shops will charge you $1,500-1,800 just to pull and reinstall the engine without anything else.
- Used engine can run you $1,000-2,500 (this can vary wildly based on source, condition, mileage, included parts, shop mark up, etc)
- Usually for shop to provide a warranty you will need to do service items like belts, pumps, tensioners, plugs, etc (which you absolutely should do regardless while the engine is out)...this can be another $500-600.
- If it is a manual, typically a clutch and/or flywheel service is also recommended as most shops will only charge you parts in this case...but again this can be another $500-600.

So now you are looking at $3,000-3,500-ish on the low end to get the car back on the road...$5,000+ on the high end? And this would be just for the engine without fixing any other problems that you might encounters with a 15 year old car that's been beaten on?

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-10-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 AM

Car Info: a blue car.
^^^I agree.

Unless your brother has a strong emotional tie with that particular Forester, getting a new engine is not the way to go at all.

For the money LxJLthr, you can buy another 2002 Forester 2.5S.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I did finally get one quote, from RBMS. It would cost around $5600 if we have the engine supplied from him (it looks like he would just replace the shortblock, reuse the cylinders but have them machined first).

We are looking into used Subaru's for about that same price range and in the same year range (98-03). Initial finds had a great mix, but there were a few tossed in there that looked promising. If we get in the same year model type, we would be able to salvage a lot off the broken one( leather seats) before we either piece out the rest, or call it in for junk. (definitely replace the timing belt on this new one asap)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM

^^^ Sucks, but sounds about right for a top notch shop.

And one other thing that did not get asked...how do you know that the engine is toast? Subaru are non-interference engines, so in cases such as this there is a lot lower chance of things not shrapnel-ing against each other on the inside.

Have you tried doing a compression and leakdown test? Or just replacing the belt(s) to check if you dodged a missile? Good luck regardless.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tatsugen
Thanks for all the replies. I did finally get one quote, from RBMS. It would cost around $5600 if we have the engine supplied from him (it looks like he would just replace the shortblock, reuse the cylinders but have them machined first).

We are looking into used Subaru's for about that same price range and in the same year range (98-03). Initial finds had a great mix, but there were a few tossed in there that looked promising. If we get in the same year model type, we would be able to salvage a lot off the broken one( leather seats) before we either piece out the rest, or call it in for junk. (definitely replace the timing belt on this new one asap)
Originally Posted by Overbear
Talk to Mert over at RBMS AutoCare. You might be surprised how inexpensive one can do a NA motor replacement like that.
...I am a little jelly you are able to consider a $5,600 job "inexpensive". No wonder you can change your oil every 500 miles and brake pads every 6 months (or whatever you consider as "preventative" maintenance) You are my inspiration...one day I will get there
Old 04-15-2016, 12:49 PM

When we plugged in my OBD2 reader it came up with a P0340 Error (Cam Shaft Position Sensor Error). We had it towed to a nearby shop (R&C Auto Service in Pleasonton) and left it with them for a couple days. They got back to us saying that it was broken, but as to what exact tests they did other than notice that the timing belt was damaged (and the shroud), I don't know. The car wasn't on the highway, probably going about 40 mph when it just shut off on him.

I don't know enough about this car (bro's is a 02 subaru forester, I own an 02 mini and a 69 mini, no sensors in that one), would we have to replace the camshaft sensor or can we reset it? A quick google search is saying that we'd need to replace it. Or clean it. We haven't tried replacing the belt. We can turn over the engine and it doesn't make any bad noises, just doesn't start. Read somewhere that Subarus turn off the fuel pump and spark plugs when that error code pops up.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
...I am a little jelly you are able to consider a $5,600 job "inexpensive". No wonder you can change your oil every 500 miles and brake pads every 6 months (or whatever you consider as "preventative" maintenance) You are my inspiration...one day I will get there
Meh, put it on credit like I did then pay it off over 2 years.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Meh, put it on credit like I did then pay it off over 2 years.
...with an 13-29% compounded APR...which can bring the total with interest closer to $10k? Nice. One day...one day...
Old 04-15-2016, 03:56 PM

...with an 13-29% compounded APR...which can bring the total with interest closer to $10k? Nice. One day...one day...
That would be 10k points! Enough for a $100 Amazon gift card! Totally worth it.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM

??? I don't know about you, but I got a 3.1% home equity line of credit
Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Hey All,

Thanks for all the help you posted. We went out to take a look at a few cars in Sacramento. The first one we looked at (and was planning to pass) was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. We didn't pass it.

So. Anyone need any parts from a 2002 Subaru Forester?

Quick Reply: 2002 Forester engine swap