Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

More info on TMICs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
More info on TMICs

I've been searching around different forums trying to find more info on TMICs for my '02 WRX. Though what I haven't found is a lot of personal experiences.

My first objective is to find how much better a splitter is. People say that aftermarket splitters are better than the stock WRX's which is not hard to believe. Anyone with an aftermarket splitter care to take pictures of their intercooler? Just to see how much better of a spread there is?

My second objective is to find a good TMIC that is easy to install while not having to mod the splitter too much and have a good seal while not spending thousands of dollars. So far, I've seen that the TXS, APS, and VISHNU are good especially the APS and VISHNU since it seems they make their own splitters?

Third, right now I am making ~ 250 awhp on a VF-35, is it even worth me spending this much more on a TMIC, how much more power can be pulled out of a 35?

Fourth, with the heatsoak problems I've read about, should I consider thermal coating my turbo housing? (approx 75-100 from swaintech)

Once again, I have searched multiple forums and am looking for more personal experience that theory since I've seen plenty of theory, yet almost no examples or proof of increased performance. Also, incase anyone is going to tell me to do the basic mods, I already have a UP, DP, VF-35, planning to PnP and coat my stock headers, and the basic supporting mods.

-Jeff
Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I've been searching around different forums trying to find more info on TMICs for my '02 WRX. Though what I haven't found is a lot of personal experiences.
For air splitters...

-jdm spec c v7
-STi
-APS
-modded stocker

I have the TurboXS TMIC and Im in the process of hacking up my splitter. I might end up ditching this project in favor of the spec c. From all my research you will have to mod almost any splitter as fitment is not 100% for any one ic. I think its 18x7 and supposedly all you have to trim on the spec c is approx 1/2 inch of rubber to make a good seal.
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
is it even worth me spending this much more on a TMIC...
I'd say yes...if you dont mind spending the money. IMO the bigger ic on the stock turbo was a great upgrade, it spools damn fast and holds boost well. It will only help make more power with a bigger turbo
Old 05-22-2006, 12:21 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
moved the thread to get more techies to help you out
Old 05-27-2006, 05:51 PM

Car Info: Graphite Bugeye
I have a TXS TMIC with a modded APS splitter. I have a vf34 setup with all the bells and whistles and the TMIC definately made a difference on the setup. Both in power and spool. Regarding the splitter, I'm not sure how much difference it really made, I'm sure it had some effect, but the perceived psychological effect is definately greater. So I'd say go with the a TXS TMIC (good price and efficiency) and mod your stock splitter. Oh and I also ceramic coated and pnp'd my vf34, but I found that a heatshield (got the gruppe-s one) was enough to prevent heat soaking after the ceramic coating. Those are my 2 cents. Good luck

Last edited by speedybullets; 05-27-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 AM

Car Info: STI
I have a sti intercooler and vf39 for sale if anybody's interested.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 AM

I have the jdm sti tmic, which is a little bigger than the stock USDM sti ones. I would say the stock wrx splitter is small in the opening therefore allowing less airflow. I have a a/m splitter so it's much better. It goes with the STi hoodscoop also. the larger sti tmic definitly make a differences on my stock turbo in terms of spool.