Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Review: Best Bang for the Buck from Buschur Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
spt

Car Info: Proj STI, Evo, JDM 180sx Time Attack, & A3
Review: Best Bang for the Buck from Buschur Racing

CLICK HERE TO READ
Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM

Car Info: asd
asda

Last edited by rmatt8748; 12-24-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Exhaust and intake with no tuning?

I thought that was bad juju for the ecu and motor
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
spt

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Exhaust and intake with no tuning?

I thought that was bad juju for the ecu and motor
I ran a datalog for each run to make sure there was no knock or anything else out of the norm. Getting a specific tune for this setup would be the best way to go just to make sure everything is working correctly.

This review was more about how much the part themselves helped to make power without the aid of a tune. With a retune I would expect to see bigger #'s.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by spt
I ran a datalog for each run to make sure there was no knock or anything else out of the norm. Getting a specific tune for this setup would be the best way to go just to make sure everything is working correctly.

This review was more about how much the part themselves helped to make power without the aid of a tune. With a retune I would expect to see bigger #'s.
honestly.. I don't think you will see a whole lot of difference with a tune.

on the 05s when we would tune them, you could throw on a Injen cold-air intake and exhaust, and it would lean the car out enough from stock that it was almost making the perfect amount of power for the mods. After a tune, we could only squeeze a bit more out of the car.

out of the box, the 05's ran very fat on the stock map, these mods would lean it out enough to muster a lot of power for just bolting on a few items. I have a feeling that the 06 and 07 were in the same boat.

I believe beyond this step is when tuning is mandatory to achieve the full potential out of the add-ons.

very nice writeup btw

Last edited by Max Xevious; 03-25-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
spt

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
honestly.. I don't think you will see a whole lot of difference with a tune.

on the 05s when we would tune them, you could throw on a Injen cold-air intake and exhaust, and it would lean the car out enough from stock that it was almost making the perfect amount of power for the mods. After a tune, we could only squeeze a bit more out of the car.

out of the box, the 05's ran very fat on the stock map, these mods would lean it out enough to muster a lot of power for just bolting on a few items. I have a feeling that the 06 and 07 were in the same boat.

I believe beyond this step is when tuning is mandatory to achieve the full potential out of the add-ons.

very nice writeup btw
I disagree about the power gains. I think you would see much more torque and some additional hp from the setup. But the only way I can say for sure is to get it retuned and put it back on the same dyno (basically show some proof). Stay tuned for the article.

Also thanks for the article compliment. :RockOn - not mine:
Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by spt
I disagree about the power gains. I think you would see much more torque and some additional hp from the setup. But the only way I can say for sure is to get it retuned and put it back on the same dyno (basically show some proof). Stay tuned for the article.

Also thanks for the article compliment. :RockOn - not mine:
I would like to see that as I only have the experience on the 05 retunes with the mods. I would like to know if Subaru changed anything from the behavior we had with that model year compared to the 06 and 07.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
spt

One thing I will mention is getting a new fuel pump to do the retune is ideal. I will probably drop one in to do it. Now on the 05 do you see the lean conditions with a upgraded fuel pump or just a stock unit?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by spt
One thing I will mention is getting a new fuel pump to do the retune is ideal. I will probably drop one in to do it. Now on the 05 do you see the lean conditions with a upgraded fuel pump or just a stock unit?
I would not call it a lean condition, just that the car will run leaner then it was from stock. The stock 05 would run pig rich and very VERY low AFR's. When the cold-air and exhaust was installed, it would lean out the stock map enough to put the AFR's into the range we would like to see.

we tried a Walbro 255 with the stock turbo, but did not see much of a performance difference. The stock injectors were the limiting factor more then the pump was. I am not sure of the 05 injectors are the same as the 06 and 07 and could possibly be a roadblock.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
Based on my experience with the car and knowing how the tune sits now, I am very confident it will make a significant improvement. Will be great to document it thoughh
Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM
spt

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I would not call it a lean condition, just that the car will run leaner then it was from stock. The stock 05 would run pig rich and very VERY low AFR's. When the cold-air and exhaust was installed, it would lean out the stock map enough to put the AFR's into the range we would like to see.

we tried a Walbro 255 with the stock turbo, but did not see much of a performance difference. The stock injectors were the limiting factor more then the pump was. I am not sure of the 05 injectors are the same as the 06 and 07 and could possibly be a roadblock.
Okay cool. I agree the stock injectors will be the limiting factor. From my understanding the injector size (535cc) is the same between the 2 years but I could be wrong.

I just want to make sure that if I do use a new fuel pump (255l) and stock injectors and make larger power #'s no one will question it. Dropping in a new fuel pump is fairly cheap and a easy install. I want to do all of this in steps.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
non-resonated straight through design, that exhaust must wake up the dead
Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
spt

Originally Posted by chubs22
non-resonated straight through design, that exhaust must wake up the dead

It is loud but Buschur does have other versions that are more quiet. I went with this exhaust because I wanted something more aggressive when the car is on track.

Here's a video to give you an idea of how loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmjeocBkrM
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Sure does sound nice!