Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

-1 for RallySportDirect

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
-1 for RallySportDirect

Well I hate to do this, because RSD seems like a pretty reputable vendor, but I ordered a Prodrive y-pipe from them on sale for $73. The part came in a reasonable amount of time, but I was not able to get it on the car right away because I was busy and didn't want to fight with the intercooler. I waited about a week before I finally tried to put it on, but it fit horribly! In order to get on both parts of the intercooler, the pipe was bent horribly and would not have flowed very well.

The next day I used RallySportDirect.com's online contact form to ask for a return number. I didn't get a response for a while and after about a week or a little more had passed, I decided to email them directly. I got a response pretty quickly with this method. Oh but what'd ya know....it was now passed the 15 day return policy! And some how that first communication through there online form never made it through to them. Strange.

Here is where I started to get pretty mad with the situation. I bought this part from them, and its not that I just changed my mind about it, but the part is actually flawed in its fitment. A good retailer would take this back from the customer and then deal with Prodrive or their distributor to recoup there losses on the sale.

Dan Gordon of RSD said he would however help me open a warranty claim with Prodrive if I wished to do so. I emailed him back saying that yes, I would like to open a warranty claim.

A week and a half later still no response. Hmm, trouble with the email system perhaps? Maybe this accounts for the lost initial return request?

All in all, I doubt I'll be doing business with/recommending RallySportDirect.com in the future.

Support your local/localist vendor.
(Dan, if you read this review, I would also like to note that a 25% restocking fee is absolutely ridiculous. 5%-10% is annoying but understandable. Had I read that you had a 25% restocking fee before I ordered, I would not have ordered)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
VIP Member

Oh yeah, RSD has also had plenty of time to fix the situation, with me receiving an initial response from Dan on 3/11 and my very first return request being placed somewhere between 2/28 and 3/2, with a second request on 3/10. In that amount of time I'd expect at least some headway being made in the situation.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i suspect the real reason why he is doing this is because he is going to have to eat it. prodrive USA is gone. prodrive UK is the one you have to deal with.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Situations like the one you're in suck, for both the customer & the vendor.

Some critiquing:

Call the vendor immediately after discovering a problem. Do not email/AIM, wait a week, then email again.

Restocking Fees, while annoying, are needed to keep "fence sitters" from wasting time.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Situations like the one you're in suck, for both the customer & the vendor.

Some critiquing:

Call the vendor immediately after discovering a problem. Do not email/AIM, wait a week, then email again.

Restocking Fees, while annoying, are needed to keep "fence sitters" from wasting time.
oh, I completely understand the point of restocking fees, they just usually aren't as high as 25%

Originally Posted by sigma pi
i suspect the real reason why he is doing this is because he is going to have to eat it. prodrive USA is gone. prodrive UK is the one you have to deal with.
If he is continuing to carry Prodrive products it means he has a reliable source for it, meaning he has someone to deal with about being given crappy parts

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 03-28-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Yo, did you order it on your credit card? If so, call your credit card company and tell them that you ordered a product from said merchant, the merchandise is damaged and you would like to dispute the charge. Explain it JUST like that, dont give them any additional information, unless they ask for more details. Phone CSR's hate listening to long winded explanations, just tell them what you want done (politely of course!!) and then see what they say.

If you didnt order it on a credit card, consider this a learning experience, ALWAYS buy stuff on a CC, you would be surprised how much flexibility CC's give you, like insurance, etc.

Sorry you had a bad experience, Ive only ordered one product from them and had no issues.

Good luck!