Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

BOV Dispute

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
BOV Dispute

Okay, heres my dilema. I have been hearing that BOVs that do not recirculate hurt your car. I heard that it doesnt recirculate so it confuses the ECU and can inturn mess things up. Can someone that actually knows their stuff and can give me a legit and detailed explanation of what the true story is i would greatly appreciate it. I was looking into getting a HKS SSQV but ran into a really good deal for a SARD R2D2. So i just want to make sure all and the SARD wont hurt my car because it doesnt recirculate like the HKS.

Thanks

Will
Old 02-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
ive got a turbo xs myself and have been concerned as well cuz ive been hearing mixed stuff too...so if whoever has the kno cud let me in on it too that wud b great...
Old 02-06-2006, 01:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
this song has been on repeat since the 02 WRXs were released...

An atmospheric BOV such as the TurboXS vents air out that was intended to actually be plumbed back to the intake... thus the computer "thinks" the air is present, even though its been blown off... at this time fuel is delivered for the "intended" amount of air... thus creating a mixture that is too RICH in fuel.. Some companies that market their BOVs will overcome this FAQ by referring to it as a purposeful "cooling" moment for the engine... Truth is, you run rich... sometimes shoot flames... Pop! Experience rough idling and sometimes "premature" engine shut off... Oh and make sure you wipe off the black soot from your rear bumper as that accumulates as well...

50/50 BOVS, or adjustable valves, generally have a tensioner which allows you to preset when it will plumb back to intake and at what point it will "blow off"... These generally work by having 2 openings one after another... there is a piston inside covering these openings... if you are boosting low levels... it will only push the piston far enough to reveal the first opening, thus plumbing that air BACK to the intake... IF you are under high boost, say past 3000 rpm, the piston will be under enough pressure to reveal BOTH openings, which vents partially back to intake, and the second opening goes to atomsphere... These 50/50, hybrid, or adjustable valves have proven to be a better noise making decision, if you MUST have a BOV... WORX is a good quality piece with minimal issues... The downside to adjustable valves is that you have to know what youre doing... if its too tight, you will create compressor surge... which means youre not allowing it to vent and there is air pressure moving back AGAINST your turbo fan blades... not pretty... Too loose and well... you may experience leakages and the sort...

And if my explanation for BOVs didnt satisfy you, feel free to search... there at least a new BOV thread every couple days... youll be sure to find one that meets your technical needs..

Oh btw, stock BOV is good for about 20 pounds of boost, no need to change it... Another option if you just want to hear the plumb back effect a bit more.. perform a "snorkelectomy" or a "snorkus delete", if you search those terms in this site, youll find a great deal of results. The cleanest way of going about this is by getting a GPMoto Intake Elbow Delete pipe... which essentially gets rid of the "snorkus" or air silencer from your passenger side fenderwell... people report hearing the spool up much better and even hearing the WOOSH of the BOV... also... there are no side effects to this mod...

Goodluck!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/show...9&postcount=24
Old 02-18-2006, 04:24 PM

bov question

oh boy! yet another bov question it's ok. after you do a search you will find out that with the stock turbo bov's are not needed. but the cool factory is why i got mine. i went with a GFB (Go Fast Bits) bov it's fully adjustable. you can run it 100% wid open or closed (stock). lol