Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
there's a canon xsi out now...
Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by glider
Taking shots in dim light means a "fast" lens, i.e. low f-stop number (think f/2.8 for a zoom). You need a wide aperture to grab a lot of light, since capturing moving subjects crisply dictates a higher shutter. Image stabilization won't help with a moving subject. Alas, faster lenses are heavier -- more glass for a bigger aperture -- and more expensive than their slower cousins. Having said that, if you're mostly taking daytime outdoor shots you can get away without an enormously fast lens, especially in California in the summer where light is plentiful.

For night shots, don't worry so much about the speed of the lens. For marginal conditions -- think well lit car parks at dusk -- image stabilization combined with higher ISO (think 800) will let you get some good handheld shots down to shutter speeds about 1/15 of a second. For "real" night shots you'll be on a tripod with a multi-second exposure anyway (even IS won't let you do that handheld) and the speed of the lens isn't terribly important. Here's a gallery all shot as long exposures, some on a Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6, others on the 70-200mm f/4l.

even though that is true it is not what i would recommend. shooting at 2.8 will give you a very shallow dept of field. that means your forcusing will not show the whole image. i am one that shoots objects and people with my 2.8 lens at f/4 so i get my desired image. when i shoot outdoors and scenic i tend to close the lens at f/22-64 depending on what lens i am using.

shooting at high ISO is not very desireable because of grain. i pretty much shoot at 50 ISO or max of 160. i never shoot 400 or 800. that's why i always use a solid tripod.

one more thing to keep in mind when shooting in digital cameras.. if you're shooting at a slow shutter speeds that require a tripod, then you are wearing out your sensor. they do get hot if you're shooting something for over 30 seconds. that is another reason i love shooting film with all manual cameras.

Last edited by MyNikonLens; 02-20-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM

hehe, I hate that...I say high iso, but what I really mean is high quality (lowiso), almost like high gearing...
Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
damn it! I just came back on a service and took some before and after pics... But I didn't realized I screwed up the before pics. I had a preset WB from last night so the pics are super blue. Is this something I can fix using PS (Hugo)? I hope so, I can't work on them until later tonight...

Leo
Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DetailAddict
damn it! I just came back on a service and took some before and after pics... But I didn't realized I screwed up the before pics. I had a preset WB from last night so the pics are super blue. Is this something I can fix using PS (Hugo)? I hope so, I can't work on them until later tonight...

Leo
post them or email them to me and I'll see what I can do. I'm at work and I have PS here...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by DetailAddict

Leo
you shot them raw or jpeg only? even jpeg only you can still in some ways fix it.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

dude, PM me your email addy and I'll forward them to you... Thanks man! But I also want to learn so please do post the solution for me. Thanks!
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
post them or email them to me and I'll see what I can do. I'm at work and I have PS here...
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
you shot them raw or jpeg only? even jpeg only you can still in some ways fix it.
Come on JZ, you should know me by now, I don't know how to work with raw files! I shot them in jpeg only. Hopefully Hugo can help me out with it...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 PM

what colour car is it?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor

green... but this was a headlight restoration job, so main focus was on the headlights.

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
what colour car is it?
sorry for the randomness, but my banner is up!
Attached Thumbnails Bay Area Photographers-untitled.jpg  
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM

shot me an email.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM

subyn00by at gmail dot com
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
even though that is true it is not what i would recommend. shooting at 2.8 will give you a very shallow dept of field. that means your forcusing will not show the whole image. i am one that shoots objects and people with my 2.8 lens at f/4 so i get my desired image. when i shoot outdoors and scenic i tend to close the lens at f/22-64 depending on what lens i am using.

shooting at high ISO is not very desireable because of grain. i pretty much shoot at 50 ISO or max of 160. i never shoot 400 or 800. that's why i always use a solid tripod.

one more thing to keep in mind when shooting in digital cameras.. if you're shooting at a slow shutter speeds that require a tripod, then you are wearing out your sensor. they do get hot if you're shooting something for over 30 seconds. that is another reason i love shooting film with all manual cameras.
Ah, good point -- depth of field is a tradeoff with aperture, more of one being less of the other. Low ISO is why I was suggesting the tripod and multi-second exposure for real night shots. I think most of us (hobby shooters) will end up turning over our cameras for other reasons -- yay, new stuff! -- before we wear out the sensor/shutter assembly, though.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM

there are times when you gotta shoot wide open. btw, f/22 isn't the sharpest on lenses. most lenses have a sweet spot from about f/5.6 to 11. once pass 11 you'll start going the other way.

like i said, there are times when you can't do either, low ISO or tripod. i've shot 3200 push 1 wide open at f/1.2 1/30. it's no longer fun when you start worrying about grain but then i enjoy the grainy look of 3200...don't need to use a grain finder in the darkroom.

but on film once you get to multi-second exposures you'll have to deal with reciprocity failures.

Last edited by JZ oo7; 02-20-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor

here are some resized versions... the first one is the super blue one and the second one is too dark. but that one I know how to adjust using level. really just need help on the 'super blue'...
Attached Thumbnails Bay Area Photographers-dsc_0026.jpg   Bay Area Photographers-dsc_0042.jpg  
Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

btw, emails are out.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers