Starter Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Exclamation Starter Help!

Hey guys. I'm looking for some help figuring out what's going on with my starting system.. I didn't see any similar issues in the Search. I found other with the same problem on Google, but none posted the solution. Read on for details..

The issue is every so often I'll hear the starter click, but it won't turnover. It'll eventually start after a few tries. It is very intermittent.

Background:
The issue started last summer and has progressively gotten worse. At first, it seemed like it would only do it when the car was hot. Over time, it seemed to take more tries to get the car started, but it would always end up starting.

I figured the starter was going out, so I replaced it a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed fine, until yesterday. I tried go to out for lunch, and I had the same issue. I kept trying to crank it over, until the you didn't hear the starter solenoid engage anymore. I think it might be from the relay under the dash heating up.. I ended up leaving it since I had to get back to work. Got off work and it started right up.

I got home and duplicated the issue after a few tries, so I checked the following:
battery connections: tight and clean.
battery voltage: good. I even had a jumper hooked up, but it would still do the same thing.
starter relay: I'm assuming it's okay. I swapped it with my horn relay and still same issue.

Looking for any suggestions on where to look next or if anyone has solved this issue. I have a cheap volt/amp meter from Harbor Freight. I was going to check the wiring from the battery to the starter.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Check for voltage drops. Without a DVOM you're guessing. Sometimes there is corrosion in wires under the insulation.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Check for voltage drops. Without a DVOM you're guessing. Sometimes there is corrosion in wires under the insulation.
I have a DVOM. I'll do that when I get home.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza LS, 05 WRX Wagon, 98 Impreza Wagon
I had a similar problem in my Acura. Turns out it was the main relay under the dash that controlled the fuel pump. Starter engaged but no fuel. The solder joints inside the relay were the culprit. When the temperature inside the vehicle warmed up during the day, the connections would expand and cause an open. Upon cooling later in the day the solder joints would contract and regain a good connection again. Swapped out the relay and good to go.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM

I think you're talking about the PGM/FI relay and yea those are always fun to diagnose in Hondas. Everytime I've seen a bad one its had intermittent or no start. Starter solenoid would never click.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza LS, 05 WRX Wagon, 98 Impreza Wagon
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
I think you're talking about the PGM/FI relay and yea those are always fun to diagnose in Hondas. Everytime I've seen a bad one its had intermittent or no start. Starter solenoid would never click.
Mine would act similar to OP's as starter would try to turn over the car but since no fuel the car wouldn't start. This was on a 91 Acura. Bought a relay for ~$60 and no probs every since.

Since OP's starter was replaced I would try and troubleshoot relays or the fuel pump. My bet though is on a relay. They're a common failure point. Replace -don't bother trying to open it up and repair the solder joints.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rufino O
I had a similar problem in my Acura. Turns out it was the main relay under the dash that controlled the fuel pump. Starter engaged but no fuel. The solder joints inside the relay were the culprit. When the temperature inside the vehicle warmed up during the day, the connections would expand and cause an open. Upon cooling later in the day the solder joints would contract and regain a good connection again. Swapped out the relay and good to go.
I hear the fuel pump prime when the ignition is turn on. The issue is with getting the starter to engage. All you hear is the starter solenoid "click" sometimes. If the starter turns over, the car starts up every time.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM

Bump. This has got me stumped. The only problem I'm ending up at is a bad starter (solenoid).

I did voltage drop test on all wires to and from the starter. Nothing more than 0.1v. The problems seems to be more prevalent when the car was hot, so I heated up the starter and wires with dryer and it cranked over. I tried a new battery and the no crank still happens.

Any suggetsions on what else to check?? If I can't fix it by the end of the week I'll probably just trade it in. Does anyone here work in sales?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

I would replace that starter one more time. Its possible that you got a bad one off the shelf. Take it back under warranty and tell them that sometimes it won't engage.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by MarvZz
Any suggetsions on what else to check?? If I can't fix it by the end of the week I'll probably just trade it in. Does anyone here work in sales?
Why not just take it to a local Suby shop and get it diagnosed?

AA/GST/FW/RBMS etc..will all help you in quick order
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
why not just replace the starter if you determined it is not a electrical input issue.

I believe GST had a couple for sale and they're easily swapped out.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM

I'm going to replace the starter. I just felt that the chances of getting a bad starter were pretty slim. I hope this fixes it. Wish me luck.