New Tires - Best Spot to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
^ From what I've heard, it seems they tolerate heat pretty well but I'm not sure how well compared to RS3s. The RE71R seems to have decent grip cold as well.

At least in autox (at national events with fast and class winning drivers), the RE71R is making a lot of fans. They appear to be faster than the RS3. Grip levels between the RS3 v1 and v2 are about the same, it's just the v2 has a lower operating temperature and won't last as long as the v1. I only know a few that have run the AD08R, which is a great tire, but those people like the RE71R more.

Edit: There's going to be an SCCA solo national tour (autox) at Crows Landing this weekend. The surface is really aggressive and can eat up tires quickly, and it's supposed to hit low 90s. There will be a lot of people running the RE71R and there should be more info about how well the tire tolerates heat.

Last edited by G_Ride; 04-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by G_Ride
Edit: There's going to be an SCCA solo national tour (autox) at Crows Landing this weekend. The surface is really aggressive and can eat up tires quickly, and it's supposed to hit low 90s. There will be a lot of people running the RE71R and there should be more info about how well the tire tolerates heat.
Nice! Please let us know! If this tire is at least as good as RS3 (by means of dry grip and heat tolerance) but has stiffer side walls (like AD08) then it's a winner!

I AutoX with GG Lotus (I think we met there a few times). Don't mind not having all the grip for Run1 and Run2. But want the tire not to give up by Run 3 or 4 due to overheating (like Star Specs) and last without spraying. AD08 still required some spraying though.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by wwrx
Nice! Please let us know! If this tire is at least as good as RS3 (by means of dry grip and heat tolerance) but has stiffer side walls (like AD08) then it's a winner!

I AutoX with GG Lotus (I think we met there a few times). Don't mind not having all the grip for Run1 and Run2. But want the tire not to give up by Run 3 or 4 due to overheating (like Star Specs) and last without spraying. AD08 still required some spraying though.
So i havent been able to do much yet however just street driving and some slight backroading to get a feel for the tires.. they feel great! they grip everywhere and i cant wait to take them to buttonwillow possibly during May to test them out there. I cant say much else as i havent really driven that hard on them yet as i am still breaking them in
Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by wwrx

From what I heard from people from the SCCA National Tour at Crows Landing, heat tolerance seems to be pretty good. It's really hard to say how tolerant since you get 5 minutes between runs and the weather was probably didn't get above 90 degrees. Everyone still loved the tire and it's faster than the RS3.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Discount Tire Direct Coupon: Motor Wheels & Tires $100 off $400+ w/ Stackable Rebates + Free Shipping
and no tax

first buy from their ebay store, with $100 off 400+
discounttiredirect | eBay

then get stackable rebate from manufaturer
link to current rebates Current Promotions - Discount Tire Direct
Old 04-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Oshrizak, G-Ride, thanks for the info! I guess I know my next EP tire choice.