i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Wheel & Tire (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/)
-   -   Advans or Rotas...? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/advans-rotas-38895/)

NewShockerGuy 11-19-2003 11:26 PM

Advans or Rotas...?

1 Attachment(s)
The only wheels that I want are Advan RC II's in Gold, 17.5 inch.

I love these wheels sooooo much when I saw them, my problem is I see that Rota has ones that look excatly the same, I belive they are called Action. They look identical actually... besides the fact that on one spoke advans say "Advan RC II" where as the rota says nothing...

My question is what makes one better than the other? Is one lighter or stronger? I did notice that the price tag is going to set my back about $1600 for the Advans and only $700 for the Rotas... but are the rotas cheap imations?

See pics.

Thanks,

-Nigel

NewShockerGuy 11-19-2003 11:28 PM

Advan RC II

1 Attachment(s)
Advan:

-Nigel

EsoterikWRX 11-19-2003 11:32 PM

w/o getting into the merits of their respective makers, ask youself if having authentic parts on you car make a difference [i]to you[/i] & there's your answer.

hokusai 11-20-2003 02:26 PM

I have Rota's and i think they are great. I mean, i would want the Advans but i can't affor them. If you can afford them, then get them. If you buy rotas, you can spend the money you "saved" to buy other mods or the tires.

eluminex 11-21-2003 12:28 PM

If you kerb the Rotas or they are stolen ou won't be so pissed.

bone324 11-21-2003 04:27 PM

If you looked at both wheels in person, you would definitely notice a difference. The finish on Rota wheels is not nearly as attractive or durable as most high-end wheels (such as Advan). The Advans are probably forged. Therefore they most likely weigh less and are stronger than Rotas. All of this is personal preference though.

Imprezer 11-21-2003 05:31 PM

Both wheels will get you from point A to point B.

One is real JDM wheel, and one is a knock-off.

You decide.

NewShockerGuy 11-21-2003 11:33 PM

Thanks guys, sort of what I had thought... Made up my mind :-)

At gruppe-s he has the following for Advan:

Size: Hole: PCD: Offset

17x7.5: 5 : 114.3 50/45
17x7.5: 5 : 100 48/35

What does this all mean (mainly the PCD and offset?) and which do I get for a wrx?

Thanks,
-Nigel

hashiriya 11-22-2003 02:56 PM

You have to take into account wheel durability too though....

Potholes will break cheaper wheels like Motegis and such, there's a reason why forged Volks and Works cost $2000/set, cause they're strong. Nothing is curb-rash resistant though, so sometimes it is a better idea to go with the cheaper wheels, it's all a matter of what the roads are like in your area. I almost bought Rota Subzeros for my Prelude (RIP) before I found a killer deal on some Work Emotions.

bone324 11-22-2003 03:55 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NewShockerGuy [/i]
[B]Thanks guys, sort of what I had thought... Made up my mind :-)

At gruppe-s he has the following for Advan:

Size: Hole: PCD: Offset

17x7.5: 5 : 114.3 50/45
17x7.5: 5 : 100 48/35

What does this all mean (mainly the PCD and offset?) and which do I get for a wrx?

Thanks,
-Nigel [/B][/quote]

PCD is the distance between holes, Subarus are 100. Offset is the distance of the mounting surface from the center of the wheel. You need the 48mm offset for a 17x7.5" wheel.

NewShockerGuy 11-23-2003 06:39 PM

Thanks again for the replies! I love it.

I'm in PA, so there are flat parts, lots of potholes...etc sort of normal I guess, has a bit of everything...

What does forged mean? I thought all wheels were made the same, cut from a big round chunck of metal... I believe I saw that on a hot rod show... they stuck a round piece of metal on a CNC machine and it made the wheel...

Thanks again :-)

-Nigel

EsoterikWRX 11-23-2003 07:37 PM

If memory serves, a 'billet' wheel is made like that. But there is 'casting' which is how most alloy wheels are made & forging. To oversimplyfy, casting involves pouring the alloy into a mold, versus 'forging' which is more like forcing the alloy into a mold at very hight pressures. If someone doesn't beat me to it, i'll look up a site w/ better definitions.

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/construc.htm[/url]

TireRack's tech center kicks @$$!