Videos Share your video finds and personal videos. No pRon or NWS videos, please.

STi vs. ML AMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 05:57 PM

thats a 05 wrx ... you can tell by the stero and the gauges -_- and the emergency button :]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by warwagon
I know this must be in Europe but look how fast the other cars are going buy as they pass buy.
the other cars could be doing 100+ mph as well, u never know.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
Lame! if it was an ML55 beating a WRX on a road course or something, then I'd be impressed
Old 05-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 05' OBP/Gold STi
Those cars were not going as fast as speedo said. follow the lines and the poles as they pass by then watch any 1/4 mile street race The difference would then be clear those 1/4 cars are traveling much faster than those cars were . Those cars by my calculations were doing 85 to 90 MPH. And yes I am certified by the NYPD to calculate speed !
Really? I'd HATE to have you estimate my speed. Or do I mean guess my speed. Visual estimation is just a nice fancy little way for saying guess, cause thats all you idiots do.

Stick to the radar you guys barely use correctly.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 PM

I know this must be in Europe but look how fast the other cars are going buy as they pass buy. I may be getting old but I know when I"m doing 110MPH chasing some fool with the lights flashing the other cars seem to go buy much faster. I'm not saying that The MB would not walk that WRX but the speed is suspected.Compare to any other street race, for exp the one that has the S4 smoking the BMW going in and out of traffic. Alot of guys post all kinds of top speed videos that are all bogus
Keep in mind that a footage recorded from inside a car, traveling at high speeds, may look like it is going very slow. I know this for a fact, because I used to install cameras inside race cars and I have to somewhat speed up the footage a little during editing.

When you are actually inside a vehicle, it might seems like it is going very fast but the camera might show otherwise. That is why, when they show high speed chases on TV (with the exception of live footage), they always speed up the footage a little just to make it interesting.

IMO, the STi and the Benz are excess of 120 mph. If you look closely, when the camera pans to the passenger rearview mirror, they actually pass a vehicle and watch how fast it actually went by.

I might be wrong but I don't think they are doing 85-90 mph.

Cheers.

Last edited by cyyeo; 05-06-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 AM

To STI Mark. for your information when your stupid *** is in court and the Officer Is sworn to testifys that your speed was calculated using a proven mathematical formula tell him he was guessing. I guess your stupid *** never went to court for a speeding ticket since you never drove faster than 60MPH. So keep your opinions to your self *******...... Any problems PM me.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:19 AM

To Cyyeo I see your point . I was Calculating using real time. I maybe wrong but that WRX look like the speedo was pinned. That would mean 135MPH-140MPH. That was not 135-145.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Car Info: POS
warwagon.

You can not determine a vehicles speed just by looking at it. Yes, if you were using a mathematical formula, i.e. time over distance=speed. But what are you keeping time with? I hope you don't get on the stand and claim; "I counted 5 seconds in my head and we had driven x miles so he was going x miles an hour". That will not stand up in any court. Hell, you probably couldn't even get a conviction using a stop watch. Next, you need to know the distance between two points which is hard to judge by looks alone. Distances can tricky to determine by eyesight and even trying to use landmarks, to use as reference points, that a speeding car is passing would be difficult at best. You can't possibly know the exact moment that a car went past a landmark/reference point, i.e. a mile marker, unless you were viewing from the side.

Now a person can determine that a car is speeding, not it's exact speed, by judging how fast it's passing traffic. But again that's relative to the other vehicles speed, i.e. I might look like I’m flying doing 75mph past traffic doing 45mph, but I might not be speeding. You could not tell me I was doing 85 in a 75 just by looking at my car alone or even comparing it to other cars. You could only say I was going faster and that's it.

You need Time and Distance to get speed unless using some type of speed detection equipment.

for your information when your stupid *** is in court and the Officer Is sworn to testifys that your speed was calculated using a proven mathematical formula tell him he was guessing.
That's great he can testify that I went past two points in x amount of time, but unless you have some solid proof, i.e. video tape, it's still his word against mine. You have the burden of proof, not me, and "I counted or timed it by my watch" will not cut it.

Hell, where I live a police officer has to follow a speeding car for a quarter mile if attempting to judge speed with no detection device. I almost got caught that way on a small back road at night. Was just cruising along at night and I happen to look up in rearview mirror and saw something funny. I tap my brakes and see the glare off a sheriff’s car following me with its lights turned off. I immediately let off the gas and slow down. She flips on her lights and says; "I was going kind of fast back there", but she wasn't following for a long enough distance and writes me up for failure to provide proof of insurance. This "following" technique has term, but I can’t remember at the moment.

Now let's go back to the station house and go cornhole us some drunks

Last edited by silentbob343; 05-10-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Red face

[QUOTE=silentbob343]warwagon.

You can not determine a vehicles speed just by looking at it. Yes, if you were using a mathematical formula, i.e. time over distance=speed.

You need Time and Distance to get speed unless using some type of speed detection equipment.

Yes you can and if you want I can send you a copy of my cirtificate by an indipendent labrotory that allows me to tesitfy for the last 10 years in the city of NY in traffic court.I've been tested every year for the last 10 years and the most I was ever off was 7.5 MPH. Or you can stop by your local Police department and ask a highway patrol fficer. I would have never imagined this much feed back for an observation. No problem.....If your ever in NY city area stay off the Clearview expressway Unless you want to test out your theory to see if I can't tell how fast your going Or just stop by to say hi.May be i'll help you beat a speeding ticket. Just bring the donuts.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
7.5MPH...so...the difference between...say...65 and 72.5? That's HUGE error. In fact, it's an 11.5% error. Which makes the data insignificant by any measure. I smell BS in your posts, warwagon. I don't even believe you're a cop.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Warwagon that is pretty good for the human eye, but it scares me that the court would blindly accept the word of a police officer with no scientific instrument to back up their claim, besides a class/seminar once a year.

I hope this practice isn't allowed in my state and if so I have some letter writing to get started on to my govt. officials. Don't misunderstand me; I'm not looking for ways out of tickets I just want a more reliable measure than human eye if I get pulled over and made to pay a large fine.

You could, for example, randomly pull people over and claim you visually observed them breaking the speed limit and based on what you said the court would see it as if you had tagged me with a laser or radar. I’m not saying you would ever do this, but there is the risk for officers to misuse this.

As MVWRX says that is the difference between speeding and being within the law. I do understand that is your worst “visual estimation”.

I hope you don't think I am being combative, but rather expressing a concern over the use of this technique.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by silentbob343
This "following" technique has term, but I can’t remember at the moment.

I believe it's called pacing
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 AM

To MVRX believe what you may,check my profile I'm probably old enough to be your daddy, If you know enyone in the NY metro area have them check me out at the next NHRA import event at Englishtown, I own a 2002 WRX silver wagon with a carbon fiber hood and front mount. My sons car is a 11 sec Black Honda CRX with 'DOWN BY LAW"on the side. Both cars will be there and I'll be there PM me. To Silent bob it's cool i don't think your being combative and it is a concern you should have,This is something that we train for extensively using different weather and road conditions, cars are tested with open exhaust and other types of exhaust systems. Not all highway patrol officers are certified to do so. The 7.5 disparity was on my third year of testing. Do your self a favor check with you local highway patrol ask them If I'm BSing or not . Then get back to me.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Car Info: Sline
lol, u were born the year my dad graduated from HS, just thought that was a funny observation. I just want you all to know I'm getting a kick out of this, keep it up.

Jack
Old 05-11-2005, 12:32 PM

TurnWRX
Yes that's it. Couldn't remember for life of me. Thank you

warwagon
I will contact my highway patrol not to see if you are BSing, but in the hopes that is not a method in use in my state.

Quick Reply: STi vs. ML AMG