Videos Share your video finds and personal videos. No pRon or NWS videos, please.

Prodrive P2

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Prodrive P2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdQl...=prodrive%20p2
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Nice Anti Lag Is Awesome.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
wow thats an amazing piece of machinery.......i want one

E
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM

Car Info: Vishnu up-pipe, 5/64" mod
Isnt anti-lag not good for your motor? I know its a prototype but still why would they put it on the P2. I know it makes the turbo spool quicker, but its kinda a cheat. But I would still like to have it on my car.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
damn I would love to have one or just to drive one.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Too bad the car won't be produced.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Bugeye & Kawasaki Z1000
pure orgams

this car would give the Evo X a run for its money.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Thumbs up

WOW! Definetely Droolworthy.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 PM

Car Info: wrx
Thumbs up

wow......speachless...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:13 AM

Me Want!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 AM

Car Info: 04' WRX Silver Scooby
Thumbs up

Dear Santa.......

Amen....

Shalom....

Hommmmmmm.....

Whatever it takes, please someone get them to make that car...

174mph, Dif and anti-lag (like I really know what that means...), 0-60 3.8 seconds...(I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS....)

that's one bad mother F#&*er...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 AM

Car Info: 2005 Cobb Stage2 STi
Originally Posted by flipmode
pure orgams

this car would give the Evo X a run for its money.
A run for it's money?? Talk about the understatement of the f*cking century. This car would consume the Evo X.

If for nothing else though, I want one for the sound the wastegate makes with the anti-lag system! Words can't describe how incredible that sound is.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB STi
Anti-lag is basically an induced backfiring system. By making the engine run rich in fuel, the uncombusted fuel is pushed through the exhaust valves and into the headers (this is where is all happens), since the headers are glowing red hot, the fuel will ignite which in turn creates more exhaust gas to spin the turbos (this is where the back-fire comes from). However, this is not on all the time, only during cornering and such when you have to let go of the throttle and re-apply again. Ofcourse, all of this is controlled by a computer with a lot of sensors so it will know exactly when to let the engine run rich. It's a very impressive system but it's very destructive to the headers and the valves.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 2005 Cobb Stage2 STi
Originally Posted by gte123v

Anti-lag is basically an induced backfiring system. By making the engine run rich in fuel, the uncombusted fuel is pushed through the exhaust valves and into the headers (this is where is all happens), since the headers are glowing red hot, the fuel will ignite which in turn creates more exhaust gas to spin the turbos (this is where the back-fire comes from). However, this is not on all the time, only during cornering and such when you have to let go of the throttle and re-apply again. Ofcourse, all of this is controlled by a computer with a lot of sensors so it will know exactly when to let the engine run rich. It's a very impressive system but it's very destructive to the headers and the valves.
Not entirely. The system on the P2 is actually a little more complicated than that. It doesn't make the engine run richer than it normally would, it actually accomplishes the exhaust gas combustion with a nifty little trick:

Originally Posted by Prodrive (via subdriven.com)

Turbo-charged engines tend to run with a rich fuel mixture and, as a result, some of this fuel remains unburnt and ends up in the exhaust. At low engine speeds, when turbo-lag is experienced, the anti-lag system can introduce ambient air into the red hot exhaust manifold causing this fuel to spontaneously combust. This increases the manifold pressure, spinning the turbo back onto boost.
Traditionally, anti-lag systems have been destructive to the headers and valves, and I would bet this system, in its current state, probably still is. However, Prodrive has been working towards implementing this system in production road vehicles; and one would think eliminating the damage it causes would be job one.

Originally Posted by Prodrive (via subdriven.com)

"Unfortunately, transferring the system to a road car was not as straightforward as it might seem," said Prodrive powertrain engineer, David Hemming. "In a World Rally Car, our drivers are either fully on or off the accelerator and not concerned about how smooth the power delivery is. For motorists this is definitely not the case and an unmodified system would provide an unacceptable driving experience."

Prodrive spent six months developing the system on an engine on a transient engine dynamometer at its Milton Keynes test facility. During this time engineers managed to achieve closed-loop control of the turbo boost and make it work in a road car application. The system is so refined that it can control the turbo speed to within one per cent at almost any engine revs.

"The system is not ready for production yet, but it has shown great potential. It will make P2 far more flexible to drive as without the turbo-lag you don’t have to drop down a gear to get the acceleration you want," said Hemming.

As well as enhancing the performance of turbo-charged cars, in the longer term it could provide a solution to the downsizing of engines in cars and so help improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

"With an anti-lag system, you could in theory replace a normally aspirated, two litre engine with a turbo-charged one litre engine. This would typically reduce fuel consumption by about 25 per cent without any loss in performance," said Hemming.

Prodrive is already talking to a vehicle manufacturer about the application of this system.
Who wants to bet that vehicle manufacturer is Fuji Heavy Industries?

Last edited by Menik; 06-06-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Sweet!!

Quick Reply: Prodrive P2