Videos Share your video finds and personal videos. No pRon or NWS videos, please.

A Couple of Videos (MARK's STi and a rally vid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 AM

Awesome car, but making 650 hp at the fly, and then only 46x at the wheels would **** me off, even though I understand the parasitic loss caused by AWD.

With 650 hp I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't crack into the 10s in an AWD car.

Most definitely an awesome STi though. I'd be happy to have it sitting in my driveway!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Sweet clips,,,
Old 07-26-2006, 09:07 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Awesome car, but making 650 hp at the fly, and then only 46x at the wheels would **** me off, even though I understand the parasitic loss caused by AWD.
You must not be familiar with the Gruppe-S heartbreaker dyno...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
You must not be familiar with the Gruppe-S heartbreaker dyno...
Ummmm, can't say that I am. Care to explain?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM

that freakin dyno breaks hearts up and down the block...people see anywhere from 25-100hp difference from other dynos. (= It's pretty funny...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 PM

that freakin dyno breaks hearts up and down the block...people see anywhere from 25-100hp difference from other dynos. (= It's pretty funny...
Yikes! Somebody needs to get their dyno calibrated!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
^^^^I agree ^^^^
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by thunder_sti
^^^^I agree ^^^^
A "heartbreaker dyno" could be construed as a positive thing (I guess.....) but when I'm paying hard-earned money I want something that's as accurate as possible. Granted, ALL dyno readouts are going to vary depending on which shop you use (even with the same model dyno), as there are many variables that come into play, but when there's one dyno reading 100 hp more/less than another, that's a problem.

Obviously an STi motor belting out 650 hp cost some serious coin, and when spending that much money, I just want the most reliable information. It's one thing to dyno with your new catback exhaust, but it's another thing to dyno with a motor you just dumped $15,000 (probably more) into.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Car Info: WRX STi
From what I've seen on these boards, the Gruppe-s dyno, DBTuned dyno and EQ's road dyno software all seem to read about the same within a few horses.

Stock STi numbers are a good barometer.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Sinister, Mike has his dyno setup for tuning, not to readout the highest numbers possible. Also, different types of dynos will read different, (ie dynapack, dynojet, mustang, etc). People know that Gruppe-S numbers are in a league of their own.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Yikes! Somebody needs to get their dyno calibrated!
Maybe some other shops need to have their dyno's calibrated... Don't you think it's a bit fishy that some dynos are producing WHP numbers that are higher than the turbo (on the car) is rated for at the crank? If you look at the trap speeds on the cars we have tuned, the theoretical ACTUAL WHP is well in line with what these cars are making on our dyno. The key thing is to look at the delta between what the car made stock and what it makes now. A stock 04 STi makes about 220 WHP on our dyno.

Our dyno is set up to give our customers the best possible tunes; not to inflate their egos with false or meaningless dyno numbers. A car will make the same power regardless of what dyno it was measured on. That being said, I understand where you're coming from. It'd be wonderful if we could have some sort of universal consistancy between dyno numbers but alas, only in a perfect world.

Thanks,

Geoff

Last edited by gruppe-s; 07-27-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by gruppe-s
Maybe some other shops need to have their dyno's calibrated... Don't you think it's a bit fishy that some dynos are producing WHP numbers that are higher than the turbo (on the car) is rated for at the crank? If you look at the trap speeds on the cars we have tuned, the theoretical ACTUAL WHP is well in line with what these cars are making on our dyno. The key thing is to look at the delta between what the car made stock and what it makes now. A stock 04 STi makes about 220 WHP on our dyno.

Our dyno is set up to give our customers the best possible tunes; not to inflate their egos with false or meaningless dyno numbers. A car will make the same power regardless of what dyno it was measured on. That being said, I understand where you're coming from. It'd be wonderful if we could have some sort of universal consistancy between dyno numbers but alas, only in a perfect world.

Thanks,

Geoff
Accuracy > Fake #'s
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 PM

Sinister, Mike has his dyno setup for tuning, not to readout the highest numbers possible. Also, different types of dynos will read different, (ie dynapack, dynojet, mustang, etc). People know that Gruppe-S numbers are in a league of their own.
True. What type of dyno is it? I hear that Dynopak reads the lowest, and then the Mustang dyno does.

As for the highest numbers, I personally wouldn't be looking for the highest numbers, but realistic ones. I'd personally rather have a conservative reading, but not tons of hp too conservative.

Everyone (that knows anything) knows that dynos are nothing more than tuning tools, but it's still nice to see some accuracy. No, you can't use a dyno and say, "Hey, this car will run 10s," but you should be able to use one and say, "The 10s should be feasible with this car, judging from the power it's making." People make the mistake of "dyno racing," when in fact the most accurate way to tell what type of power a car is making is to take it to the track.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM

True. What type of dyno is it? I hear that Dynopak reads the lowest, and then the Mustang dyno does.

As for the highest numbers, I personally wouldn't be looking for the highest numbers, but realistic ones. I'd personally rather have a conservative reading, but not tons of hp too conservative.

Everyone (that knows anything) knows that dynos are nothing more than tuning tools, but it's still nice to see some accuracy. No, you can't use a dyno and say, "Hey, this car will run 10s," but you should be able to use one and say, "The 10s should be feasible with this car, judging from the power it's making." People make the mistake of "dyno racing," when in fact the most accurate way to tell what type of power a car is making is to take it to the track.
It's a Mustang 4WD Dyno but even different Mustangs read differently depending on their calibration. Dynopacks read the highest. Part of the reason is because the dyno connects directly to the car's hubs, bypassing the rotational mass and frictional loss created by the wheels and tires.

Again, the numbers don't really have anything to do with being conservative or optimistic; the car will make the same power regardless of what that numbers say. It just depends on how you measure WHP. For instance, the standard for measuring 1 WHP on a Dynojet is an F150 pick-up IIRC.

Dynos actually weren't originally designed as tuning tools and many of them still aren't used as tuning tools. Loading dynos like Mustangs, Dyno Dynamics, and Dynopacks are designed for tuning but Dynojets (which aren't loading) are not. They're designed to measure a cars output as compared to another car. This would be useful for Spec race cars or for people who simply want to know how much power a certain modification added to their vehicle.

-Geoff

Last edited by gruppe-s; 07-28-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by gruppe-s
It's a Mustang 4WD Dyno but even different Mustangs read differently depending on their calibration. Dynopacks read the highest. Part of the reason is because the dyno connects directly to the car's hubs, bypassing the rotational mass and frictional loss created by the wheels and tires.

Again, the numbers don't really have anything to do with being conservative or optimistic; the car will make the same power regardless of what that numbers say. It just depends on how you measure WHP. For instance, the standard for measuring 1 WHP on a Dynojet is an F150 pick-up IIRC.

Dynos actually weren't originally designed as tuning tools and many of them still aren't used as tuning tools. Loading dynos like Mustangs, Dyno Dynamics, and Dynopacks are designed for tuning but Dynojets (which aren't loading) are not. They're designed to measure a cars output as compared to another car. This would be useful for Spec race cars or for people who simply want to know how much power a certain modification added to their vehicle.

-Geoff
D'oh! That's right, the Dynopack is the highest rated! My big mistake!

Thanks for the tips, Geoff. I would most definitely want my car dynoed with the wheels ON my car, because after all, I drive with wheels ON my car.