Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Turbo Blanket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Turbo Blanket

Thinking about getting a Perrin Turbo blanket and i want to see if its worth spending the money to get one.
Also thinking about the blankets for the down pipe and up pipe.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
It's a PTP blanket with a markup.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Get a PTP blanket for the turbo hot side. Pick up a 35' roll of DEI titanium wrap and do the up and do at least from the bell mouth down to the cat (if you have one) if you dont have a cat then wrap as much of the DP as you can. the first 2/3 from bell mouth towards the back would be the most effective for cutting down on radiant heat from the DP.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Get a PTP blanket for the turbo hot side. Pick up a 35' roll of DEI titanium wrap and do the up and do at least from the bell mouth down to the cat (if you have one) if you dont have a cat then wrap as much of the DP as you can. the first 2/3 from bell mouth towards the back would be the most effective for cutting down on radiant heat from the DP.
Would a T3 PTP blanket fit the stock turbo? And would it matter what brand I get for a DEI wrap?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
It's not worth taking the car apart just to add some heat wrap, I don't think it makes a noticeable difference by itself. It'll cost you $100 in wrap and coating spray + most or all of a day to pull the parts, wrap, paint, dry, and re-install with another $50 of OEM gaskets that you'll need to replace. For what?...maybe a tiny bit faster spool?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
I think the real value in wrap is in the longevity of parts around the hot stuff.

Which valve cover gasket always goes first? The passenger side one right next to the uppipe and turbo....
Which CVjoints and boots fail most often? Front passenger side.

Is it easy to put a $$$ number on that? Not at all, which is why most people don't wrap uppipes, turbos or downpipes. If you do your own work and one of these things goes it's not a ton of money (but takes time.) If you pay others to do this kind of work, it could add up quick to $500-1000 depending on what all is needed.

My stuff wasn't wrapped and I eventually had a valve cover gasket and CV boot go right next to the turbo. When I had stuff off in that area, I decided to wrap it all.

I wouldn't do it as adding HP or spool or other performance benefit, but more as a performance consistency, controlling underhood temps (especially with a short ram "hot air" intake) and as something that looks towards long term reliability. I mean OEMs will cut corners anywhere they can, and they felt the need to put heat shields 9 ways to Sunday on every exhaust part. Why would they do that? Because it really does help in reducing repairs in the long term.