i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   Exhaust Manifold (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/exhaust-manifold-256662/)

motorcycleIke 01-13-2014 10:33 AM

Exhaust Manifold

I have a bad exhaust manifold gasket.
I was told by a after market repair shop that Subarus are notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds.
Is that true?
I have a 99 2.2 legacy wagon.
Would Midas or a similar chain be a good choice, and what is a reasonable charge to fix? I priced gaskets online for about $10.
I am 76 (as of today) and do not do this kind of work anymore.
Thanks!

oaklandish_WRX 01-13-2014 11:30 AM

First off, Happy Birthday! I can only hope that I am still on car forums when I achieve your experience level (age).

If it's a blown exh. gasket, just have them change it using a subaru OEM gasket - worth it compared to cheap aftermarket. I'm not a mechanic, but I'd be surprised if cast iron cracked that easily. Perhaps with your MN winters and salt erosion, etc. Hopefully just a gasket issue. Any repair shop can do a gasket fix, an hour probably, tops; check yelp.com for places local to you that others have tried and liked.

motorcycleIke 01-13-2014 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=oaklandish_WRX;3479197]First off, Happy Birthday! I can only hope that I am still on car forums when I achieve your experience level (age).

If it's a blown exh. gasket, just have them change it using a subaru OEM gasket - worth it compared to cheap aftermarket. I'm not a mechanic, but I'd be surprised if cast iron cracked that easily. Perhaps with your MN winters and salt erosion, etc. Hopefully just a gasket issue. Any repair shop can do a gasket fix, an hour probably, tops; check yelp.com for places local to you that others have tried and liked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. It does get cold here. I actually had to go outside (!!!) to start it when the remote start couldn't get it running. And it was only 26 below.

Snoopy408 01-13-2014 12:41 PM

^^ the car actually fired up? No need for a battery warmer or anysort of help getting it going?
-26 **** all that.

motorcycleIke 01-13-2014 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=Snoopy408;3479218]^^ the car actually fired up? No need for a battery warmer or anysort of help getting it going?
-26 **** all that.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was my fault. We were at the lake over New Years and I didn't start it for a couple of days. It was parked outside on the snow.
It started each time I cranked it, but it wouldn't keep running until the third attempt.

Of course, the engine has only 111k on it and I use syn oil.
Odd things happen when it is that cold...the cruise control will not work and a bulb on the speedo is off. When the temp moderated, all is well.

motorcycleIke 01-17-2014 01:41 PM

Done at Midas.
Out the door in 45 minutes for $75.
Both gaskets replaced.
Sounds good, like a Subaru should!

oaklandish_WRX 01-17-2014 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=motorcycleIke;3480529]Done at Midas.
Both gaskets replaced.
Sounds good, like a Subaru should![/QUOTE]

Good on you, Sir! Glad it worked out.

oaklandish_WRX 01-17-2014 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=motorcycleIke;3480529]Done at Midas.
Both gaskets replaced.
Sounds good, like a Subaru should![/QUOTE]

Good on you, Sir! Glad it worked out. :wavey: