Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

EQ Tuning: it's over 9000!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
EQ Tuning: it's over 9000!

Warning: Incoming wall of text. Cliff notes version is bolded.

I've put off writing a review for EQTuning for a long time. The thought has always been, "I'll save it all for after xxx install." Unfortunately one thing leads to another and it never gets done. That much hasn't changed but if I put things off any longer I fear it'll never get posted. I'm already gushing with praise as it is. This will likely get lost in the avalanche of positive feed back directed at EQTuning but the crew deserves it.

My experience with Ed began in early September when I took my first dive into the Impreza community. At that time I knew next to nothing about anything automotive let alone Subarus or WRXs beyond AWD and I own one (not a lot has changed). I didn't even know how a turbo worked. Ed was exceedingly helpful in answering all my questions, my follow up questions, and my follow ups to the follow ups. He was patient and courteous and described things in lay man's terms with no hint or promise of business from me. I could let him know that I had been talking to other people and he would remain objective and open. It also never felt like he was trying to sell me anything and that my satisfaction and understanding were more important than my business. True or not, it felt nice.

After months of question and answer sessions I settled in on a date for a tune as well as an up pipe install. On appointment day the shop was little more then an empty, half constructed looking room with a tool chest and a few jacks. There was no office, no waiting area, or seating. Knowing that up pipe installs take a while I was prepared to spread my text books out and get some studying done. Ever the customer friendly man, Ed ran next door to ask if they could borrow a chair to make me more comfortable. My tuning experience was an amazing surprise. Up to that point I had never put the pedal to the floor or gone wide open throttle. I didn't know what a 'x' gear pull was. Ed explained and was plenty patient the whole way. He never surrounded derogatory or made any indication that he might be getting annoyed with this super newb driver.

I headed down to Anaheim after the tune and I threw a check engine light. I gave Ed a call when I got in at around 11am and left a voicemail. He called me back 10 hours later and asked for the error codes. After doing some poking around under the hood and some AccessPort button pressing under his instruction we were able to narrow things down. A temporary map was emailed to me to be used as a band aid fix until I could bring my bug eye back. The problem ended up being a loose/disconnected hose. The entire customer/technical support blew me away. Ten hour response time to a reported problem blows my mind. It may not be live 24/7 but the quality of the support and effectiveness of the answer kicks Dell, Comcast, and any other call center in the face.

The months pass and I go for brakes, clutch, and turbo swap. All the while I talk with other shops to get rates, suggestions, and quotes. Ed was one of the few that didn't **** bricks when I bring up talking with other shops. He even acknowledges a lot of their suggestions rather than dismissing them. He also took into account my driving style, needs, and preferences when recommending certain brakes and clutches. Ed's been a great help but there is plenty more to the crew that makes EQ ah-mazing.

Adam's work and efficiency is only exceeded by his work ethic. He's finished my installs more quickly and pops engines out of cars like that one octuplet lady pops out babies. It's said that he has the optimal dainty hands of a mechanic that allow him to get into those small spaces. I have had few problems with his work and any issues are quickly resolved with a short return trip. No shortcuts are taken. No corners are clipped. The work is quality.

Everything was good, there was no bad, but then came the ugly. During the installation of an oil temperature gauge my engine block of 124,xxx miles gave in. One turn of a bolt/plug thing and a good sized chunk of metal broke. It was an unfortunate incident. Old engine was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was pretty distraught but I think Adam felt worse about it than I did. He would have done anything to make the situation right. I don't doubt that he would have mined, smelted, cast, forged, and assembled a new engine with his bare hands if I asked him to. A solution was developed that accommodated my financial status. I was able to get a new engine without sacrificing my tuition or rent money.

While work didn't reach completion as quickly as expected the folks at EQTuning were very good at communicating with me. They gave me frequent updates as to how work was coming along. I don't think EQ is to blame for any of the delays on my bugeye. Most of the time was spent waiting for things to return from the machine shop. To EQ's Machine shop: I want to punch you in the face and you need to pick less crappy times to recalibrate your CNC machine. The work order would have likely been completed weeks earlier had I not added things half way. Roughly 10 weeks after the initial incident my bugeye is out of the shop and I couldn't be happier. Yeah, that silver bugeye that's been sitting in that back corner since New Years is mine.

I'm sorry I don't know the entire crew and I don't mean to short change any one here. Sonya is ever friendly in the front of the house work and I'll always remember the time she included me in the lunch order. The gyro was top notch. It also came at no cost to me. I appreciate that. The guy who installed my FMIC, I think your name is Chris, did a great job. It fits nice and snug and you managed to keep the stock fog lights. It was a pleasant surprise after several people had said it wasn't possible.

My total experience with EQTuning has been nothing short of extraordinary and I believe that only the words of Hollywood writers can do them justice. So, in summary:

"...I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"I'll be your huckleberry."

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

"The Force is strong with this one."
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience with EQ!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Very thorough review Taylor. I'm relieved that everything is good now and your car is the way you liked it. See you this week for the tune.

-Adam
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com

Good read.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
Thanks for the nice review Taylor! That was my first time installing a fmic, so i took my time and tried my best to make it look and fit right, i was happy as well with the outcome. Thanks again for the kind words, and like Adam said, "your car is a wolf in sheeps cothing" We'll see you next week for the tune and to finish up the last little details on the car.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
banned

Car Info: WRX STi 2004
WoW....long but nice review!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Thanks for the very detailed review!

You were the very first customer at the new facility before it was even a real shop. We really appreciate your continued business and look forward to completing your beastly little bugeye!

-- Ed
Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Bug eye has reached its completion and the final results are in. The tune took a little longer than expected but it was all worth it. It's got moves and it pushes through the gears smooth and fast. I could use other metaphors and analogies but the review would no longer be work safe. It's deceptively fast, whether you're looking at it from the outside or riding inside. It's been a long time coming but it was worth the wait.

Last edited by SomethingClassy; 04-01-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
If I were say, in North Carolina (due to the Army, damn it) would you be able to tune my car from CA if I log some pulls on an Accessport? Just a question, no big deal if not.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 03 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by SomethingClassy
Bug eye has reached its completion and the final results are in. The tune took a little longer than expected thanks to our friend, the Yolo County Sheriff Department, but it was all worth it. It's got moves and it pushes through the gears smooth and fast. I could use other metaphors and analogies but the review would no longer be work safe. It's deceptively fast, whether you're looking at it from the outside or riding inside. It's been a long time coming but it was worth the wait.

what mods? sorry if you already stated it earlier, was intimidated by the wall of text >_<
Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by resty_kun
what mods? sorry if you already stated it earlier, was intimidated by the wall of text >_<
I like to keep this stuff under wraps. I prefer a little bit of subtlety and discretion but for the sake of the numbers.

APS up pipe
APS turbo back
EQTuning EJ257 short block
FP Green (7cm)
SSAC FMIC
EQTuning blow through MAF
EQTuning intake
DeatschWerks 750cc fuel injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Hallman MBC
Accessport with custom tune by Ed@EQtuning
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 07 STi Limited #359 UGM
very nice numbers, good luck with the car and EQ FTW!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
Glad you like the car Taylor!
________
FFM TUBE

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
PM sent to EQtuning for some price quotes....