Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 07 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Are the cams regrinds or fresh grinds?
Regrinds

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Yep.. I've seen something similar to this with a car running Kelford cams. It was determined that improper oiling of the cam lobe caused the excessive wear. The problem was in the head, not the cam itself as this same head ate up its stock cams as well.

Thanks
-- Ed
See pictures in next post.

Originally Posted by TheFozz
EDITED FOR TRUTH. Who's this Invisible Friend giving you this advise? What are his/her credentials and if they are a factor I'm pretty sure that person can just as easily step forth to speak for themselves, unless they are full of it too and are just grinding an axe here stirring up drama.

[That.] I want to see said shop's receipt showing the cams came from Crower in the spec you/they ordered.

Crower will usually hook someone up unless there is a glaring amount of error on the builder or user's parts. Like say, a plugged galley, etc that, *WOW 0_o HAVE BEEN MENTIONED AS LIKELY THE TRUE CAUSE.*

I'll bet they were bought standard and the builder shop had the local machine shop re-grind them. If they claim that is false a recveipt with the specs will prove their case. If not, well time to go knocking on your local machine shop's front door.

Better yet, if you paid for the build with a credit card, call them and let them call Crower and everyone else involved and do their job protecting their/your money.

Again, [That].

Why, because you'd be surprised that some shop's don't really "Build" your engine, someone else does and they "Assemble" the pieces.

I call B.S. on you O/P, or at least on the story you are trying to believe.
It's multiple people that have built engines throughout their life. Thanks. The shop has been in communication with crower - they finally started talking because I had a conversation with them. Now it's just a wait game.

Originally Posted by jdblock
He has people feeding him false info so the blame doesn't fall on them. Pretty sad, really. He hasn't even thought about what these two engine builders had to say about the issue, or that they may be correct.
A few people who commented on the faulty part don't even work for the shop.

Been waiting for the right thread to use this one...

Wrrrrrrooooonnnnnggggggg iiinnnnffffoooooooo???
Cool, thanks for your input.

Ahhhh, I get it now, the shop that put the engine together is too stupid to check rotating clearances before installing the rest of the parts after the cam's been initially installed.

So if I understand the O/P's logic correctly, as is backed by his MasterTech buddy, is...

1. The shop that put it together installed a cam they ordered for a specific spec.

2. Said shop never should be touching anything other than a factory block.

3. Because said builder shop did this it's all Crower's Fault because they specifically target those that serve our country?

Tell your builder next time to go ahead and just grind more of the bucket surround, that way your cam will be ok, but your head will crack.[ I kid.]

Cool, we can close the thread now??
The motor was built by a shop that's built hundreds on performance motors before.

The shop is a performance engine building shop.

It is Crowers fault, their part failed.

and as far as the bucket grinding piece goes.. thanks?

Originally Posted by Javirex23
In reality I feel bad for the OP, he just dished out some cash and the 'builder' is giving him the run around as to why his motor is damaged. I'm in the process of planning my motor build and would hate to be in this predicament...I know a handful of things about our cars but I still think I'm a noob. BUT that 'builder' is definitely doing something wrong if its not the first motor that he said is damaged by the 'cams'....
Thanks, I have some people giving me actual advice on my situation and not pretending like they know everything about performance parts; quality control and the probability of failure. So I applaud you for not trolling. I would agree with you about my builder doing something wrong - if he hasn't had any successful motor builds - however, these 3 motors are the first customer built motors to my knowledge that have failed. You may call bs on that, but I'm telling you that the builder knows what he's doing.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 07 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by Fujiwara
Today I took some photos for my friend Kai -- These were taken by my phone at the shop. I recently purchased a set of heads from an acquaintance who grenaded his engine in his 08 STi at VIR. The determination from oil analysis and from having parts sent to well known race parts manufacturers and engine builders was that the knock off header was improperly designed -- which boiled the engine oil in the Element Tuning Dry sump tank and then the engine proceeded to die from the simple fact that the oil lost all lubricant properties. Those heads had a set of Brian Crower 272 cams which are marred from oil starvation. I would like to offer a DIRECT comparison to educate the community on the quite visible differences in these two sets of cams. I am only asserting two things as very clear facts. The Brian Crower Camshafts I have pictures of did in fact have oil starvation as an issue. The Crower Cams that belong to the OP had something VERY different happen. There are also blueprint sheets for all three engines that had these particular Crower Camshafts fail. I invite you all to form your own opinions, but here are some images that shows some clear facts.
Here are the pictures.. (Tried embedding them but it didn't work.)

Buckets
Crower Camshaft Failure VS Brian Crower Oiling failure. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Crower Camshaft Failure VS Brian Crower Oiling failure. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll let you guys decide which one of these is mine and which one had an oiling issue?

Hopefully these pictures help you guys out.. If you'd like to see more - Flickr: fujiwara2010's Photostream is the link.

Thanks in advance for the input - it's appreciated!