Time/Speed/Distance Gimmick Rally at Palisades Center: Sunday 7/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:04 PM

Time/Speed/Distance Gimmick Rally at Palisades Center: Sunday 7/17

A T/S/D rally with easy Gimmick instructions starting at the Palisades Center Mall in Nyack,NY (exit 12 on Thruway near Tappan Zee Bridge) on Sunday 7/17 put on by the Westchester Sports Car Club. Its a day rally with mild instructions (gimmick) with points based on time/speed/distance and hidden signs on the course. Registration at noon. $20 per car. Trophys per class. Novice class, husband/wife class, family class (more than two people in car).

Flier:
http://www.wscc.org/flyers/2005SundayRallyFlyer.pdf

Website and forum/message board for questions:
http://www.wscc.org/

For those new to rallys:
A rally is a LOT of fun. Its driving down some great roads with great scenery while trying to figure out if you're totally lost or "on course", late or early, ready to kill your navigator or thank them for insisting on that last turn, or if you just blew by a SUNNY clue sign way too fast to figure out what it was. A strict gimmick rally has tricky instructions to see if you can make it to the end. A strict T/S/D has easy logical instructions to see if you can carry a perfect speed to the end and points are given based on how many seconds early or late you arrive from a perfect average speed (you need to correct for traffic, lights, Stop signs, speed limit changes, etc). This rally will be a combination with instructions that might get you lost once or twice and you need to get back on course and speed up back to your perfect average speed/distance. Points will be assessed based on your arrival at random checkpoints early or late from your average speed, and how many hidden clue signs you've written down. The faster you drive to correct a bad turn off course, the more clue signs you will miss. Instructions are to be interpreted based on the "General Instructions" given to you at registration.

The rally is on public roads. You must follow the road laws just as if you were going for a normal drive. Anything illegal you do is between you and the law (if he sees it). Any non-commercial vehicle will do (SUVs see everything better, but sports cars are more fun to drive). Every car must have a driver and a navigator. Penalty points are given for more than two people in a car (but you get lumped into family class for your own trophy). A pen and a full tank of gas are needed at the start , a clipboard for writing on the navigator's lap and a calculator are highly recommended.

Any questions, ask on the WSCC board.

See you there.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 PM

bump
Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 AM

Did one last test of the instructions with another WSCC rally person on Sunday. There was a road closed from a rockslide from Friday's rains. I knew it would be open by the rally on Sunday, but I was afraid we might get heavy rains late this week from whats left of that tropical storm so I drove to that road last night to find a route around it, just in case. Well the Miata brake pads are starting to squeel so I happened to be in the Talon.

This Acura T(something)-S was in front of me, and we hit the rockslide road (now open). He sees me, and takes off. We're talking about a road thats a sheer rock wall on the left and a guardrail with 100 foot drop on the right. Not that the T-S thing ever had a chance of pulling away around the 90mph straights and 25mph blind curved, but I had to work to keep up. A fully modded DSM against that bone stock car. I was shocked how well that thing handled and pulled. So we go down this 6mile stretch of insane cliff driving and pull over at the other side. He worships my car and I worship his how well it did bone stock. We say our goodbyes and I turn around and do it again, since I was supposed to be checking mileages and stuff as I drove through there. Got to the other side and for the hell of it turned around and put the Konis on full stiff and made two more passes. Meanwhile its PERFECT OUT. Just about 70-75 as the sun was going down. Not too hot, not too cold, not too bright, not too dark.

An amazing drive.

Just trying to wet your whistles for one of the roads on this rally.