austin or galveston?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Question austin or galveston?

I'm going to be moving to texas in the next year and I have a choice between austin or galveston, what do you guys think ?
Old 12-09-2004, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 05 Shivnuized STi (SOLD!)
Cool

Austin 4 sho! Nicer climate, (not as humid), lots of Subbies in the area! Unless you are into salt water fishing/boating, then Galv.

Flip a coin!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Question

yeah I'm coming from the bay area so I'd like to be close to the ocean, but not right on it. What are some nice areas of austin? I'm going out there to check it out in january
Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM

Moved out of Austin and into the burbs to get away from all the traffic nightmares during "rush hour". So may not be the best person for info. There is tons of outdoor activity, ie: concerts, sports, exercise spots, and great places to swim or mountain bike. Lots of freshwater lakes for boating and jet skis. Really good culture if you are into the arts or any type of performances. Most people are friendly and plenty of places to shop for anything you can think of. There are some great hills and winding roads in the area to challenge the AWDrivers. If I were looking to move to the area, it would be S.W. Austin (Slaughter / Mopac / Brodie / William Cannon areas). The further West you go the more $$$ you blow. Austin is Very Liberal as well, another reason why I left. To me Galveston is humid, overpriced, dirty, un-friendly, dirty, high crime rate, did I mention dirty, and very prone to Hurricane damage. In other words it's a great place to visit for vacation, but not to live.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Hey man, thanks alot. My wife is pretty sold on austin anyway,she's the one transfering, we'll probablly move out to the suburbs too but defenitely in the austin area, sounds cool, thanks again for the advice, we've looked into homes out there and every thing seemed relatively inexpensive for what we want. But then again, I'm in ca. and even a shack is 5hundred grand, it's gotten ridiculous, what other areas are nice ?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 09:24 PM

Don't know what your budget is, but I would start here: http://circlecranch.com/index_flash.html It is in the SW area I was talking about. Kyle, Buda, Dripping Springs, Round Rock, San Marcos and Bastrop are all within commute distance to Austin. Most of these areas have a good mix of old homes and new modern sub-divisions that are pretty nice. There is also plenty of undeveloped area to buy. 100k - 200k is real decent here; 200k - 350k is NICE; 350k - up is bad azz!

Also, no disrespect meant to Galv. folks, just reporting my experiance!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by inveSTigator
Don't know what your budget is, but I would start here: http://circlecranch.com/index_flash.html It is in the SW area I was talking about. Kyle, Buda, Dripping Springs, Round Rock, San Marcos and Bastrop are all within commute distance to Austin. Most of these areas have a good mix of old homes and new modern sub-divisions that are pretty nice. There is also plenty of undeveloped area to buy. 100k - 200k is real decent here; 200k - 350k is NICE; 350k - up is bad azz!

Also, no disrespect meant to Galv. folks, just reporting my experiance!
THANKS AGAIN THIS I S GREAT
Old 12-12-2004, 07:47 PM

My vote is definitely for Austin. I've been in Houston all my life but I've spent plenty of time in both Austin and Galveston. Austin is a lot of fun with plenty to do. Though Galveston is close to Houston, I'd say that's a drawback.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 PM
VIP Member

Hey, thanks My wife and I are flying out to austin in Jan. what are some nice areas to check out?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:58 PM

Matters what your into, if your into outdoors hit zilker park, into shopping well don't like doing to much so can't help you there. More than anything to me is the live music of austin. Go downtown to 6th street and see why Austin is called live music capital of the world. I personally like the Elephant room to start out, nice and quiet jazz bar with a live band usually playing. Then I head out and bar hop. Go find yourself a paper and see what bands are playing this weekend. Food wise I personaly perfer mom pop shops. But those are hard to find. If your into more indie type of places like coffee shops etc.. go down to UT and walk down the "Drag", ie guadalupe. If your looking for housing, there are many options right now. Matters what you want and how much your willing to spend. Like stated before the Further West you go the more money. Also more central the more money. Austin isn't "cheap" to live at if live in Central Austin. One thing I have to warn you commute is a BEOTCH. It usually takes me about 1 hour to go from SouthWest Austin to Central Austin. (No traffic 15 mins.) I think Austin has the worst traffic per cars in Texas. Could be wrong on that. If more questions fire away I'll answer as many as I can when I get back from Skiing in denver.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Hey thanks, I'm from the bay area so I'm kinda used to a little traffic but I'v eheard from a few people that the traffic sux, I'll defenitely check out the elephant room, thanks again
Old 01-28-2005, 04:52 PM

Cool Austin Austin Austin

Austin, for sure. G-town sucks. Unless you like to surf the 1.5 ft waves. There are alot of hippies in austin. So watch out! And the govt. here is crazy. But of course there is FM 2769, otherwise know as limecreek rd. in volente just 20mins away from mi casa. Awesome drive...

Mardok
Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Leave them hippies alone they keep the cops busy. The capital is worth a tour, its pretty nice inside. Pluss if you want you can walk around on your own and explore it. Also I use to study in that library when I worked there and went to school. The UT tower is a fun thing to do right when the sun is dropping. Couple bucks though go figure. And yes even for UT students, which I thought was bs. The Austin bats is another thing to see and its free. Its on Congress bridge right above the lake. I could keep going on and on.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

Thks guys I hope to be there next month, My wife got hella(nor cal) sick so we had to reschedule our trip hope to check it out soon.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Lake Titticaca? Titti = : ) Caca = : (