Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Your Predictions for Obama's Presidency

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Your Predictions for Obama's Presidency

Give your predictions for the following items. Feel free to add any that you believe are important.

1. The Economy.
2. Taxes.
3. Size of Government.
4. Gun Rights.

The Economy:

I believe that under Obama's Reign the US economy will stagnate or worsen; Uber Recession or Depression. Not his fault, as he inherited a mess.

Taxes:

Under Obama's watch, taxes will increase, hand outs will skyrocket, causing a net loss of revenue for the federal gov't.

Size of Government:

If Obama gets his way, the size of the federal payroll will increase by at least 25%.

Gun Rights:

The "Assault Weapon" Ban, et al will become law. Heavy federal restrictions will be enacted.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
The Economy:

I think we will see a mass exodus of large business that does not need to be in the US to continue their product. In this day and age of the intrawebs, you do not need to be in one location to sell your wares anymore, and I think this will come to light when we lose a lot of our manufactures to different countries due to the taxes.

small businesses will need to lay off workers due to higher taxes, and possibly scale back sales as it will not be productive for them to try to make as much money as possible now, since it will just go to the government now.

unemployment will jump up and inflation will follow.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Economy: I believe that the economy will continue to worsen and that we have no where near seen the worst of it

Taxes: Taxes will go up for mid to high earners. Obama hasn't said for sure what the income cap will be for those that will actually benefit from a tax break, so I predict that those that make 80-100K and above/year will experience a tax hit.

Govt: Govt. spending as well as the overall size of government and its power will increase dramatically. Who knows, this could turn out to be a good think, although I doubt it.

Gun Rights: Our gun rights will slowly be stripped from us.

As you all may be able to tell, I'm still a little bitter about this election. Although, I'm happy for the guy (Obama) and I wish him as well as our country the very best.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
The Economy:

I believe the economy will stabilize(but not go back upto 2006/2007 levels). Obama if anything is not stupid and he knows that to get re-elected he has to at least mitigate the issue. Odds are we will cut military spending and use the surplus in 'grassroots' social programs... ie, targeted homeowner assistance, welfare, tax credits for people making less than 35k

Taxes:
fortunately obama is going into office with a massive deficit and a **** economy so he cant start doling out funds like a democrat with full control of congress normally would. i think single people making over 50k and couples making over 100k will probably see an increase in their net tax burden. thankfully they can realize losses on their investments to offset the burden

Size of Government:

size of the overall gov will go up, but spending level will stay the same thanks to reallocation of funds away from iraq.

Gun Rights:
no change
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
or......

Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
The Economy:

I think we will see a mass exodus of large business that does not need to be in the US to continue their product. In this day and age of the intrawebs, you do not need to be in one location to sell your wares anymore, and I think this will come to light when we lose a lot of our manufactures to different countries due to the taxes.

small businesses will need to lay off workers due to higher taxes, and possibly scale back sales as it will not be productive for them to try to make as much money as possible now, since it will just go to the government now.

unemployment will jump up and inflation will follow.
Ditto that! Don't forget that everyone's 401Ks will be worthless because of people trying to convert to cash before Obama triples taxes.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
1. The Economy. screwed
2. Taxes. going through the roof
3. Size of Government. see number two
4. Gun Rights. japan england and germany? dont have guns we dont need them either
Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
The Economy - going to get worse before it gets better. Not due to Obama's policies but simply because of the nature of economic cycles

Taxes - Will go up for those making over 250k per year. To not hold his promise in this department would be political suicide. This is a necessary, and good change. Estate and capital gains taxes will also increase.

Size of government - Won't get smaller, but will not explode any more than with McCain. Health Care will be the biggest increase

Gun control - No idea.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Ditto that! Don't forget that everyone's 401Ks will be worthless because of people trying to convert to cash before Obama triples taxes.
Triples taxes? Where did you read about tripling taxes?

Obama's plan is to go back to Clinton levels. That is not triple by any means.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Magish

Taxes - Will go up for those making over 250k per year. To not hold his promise in this department would be political suicide. This is a necessary, and good change. Estate and capital gains taxes will also increase.
he changed the 250k a few times, once said it was 200k and then Biden actually said 150k, so we honestly do not know.

I also remember Bush 41 saying "no new taxes" and look what happened there.

I believe in a year or so we will get the "I have looked over the budget and there is no way for us to come out of the economy from the past presidency but to raise all taxes." speech.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
1. The Economy will stay in the ****ter for at least 2 of his 4.
2. Taxes will explode, its already going that way
3. Size of Government will be same but spending will go through the roof except for NASA
4. Gun Rights will be stripped, which is bull****
5. Biden promises additional money for NASA but will actually strip away as much as he can for #3

In my own personal no sources opinion, Obama won florida becuase of all these bs promises (via Biden) for keeping and expanding nasa jobs, even though the shuttle program is about to be cut. With jobs cuts it would affect floridas economy as the space shuttle launches help with tourism. Now that he won florida and is president elect he will not come through and all of the people that had a little hope of keeping their positions through the transition will now still lose their jobs.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I have no idea about any of them. But to be fair, I had the same expectations for McCain as well.

Talk is cheap, but in a sense of working with all government factions, I think Obama is the better candidate for it. Realistically, I think most of you are being overly pessimistic. You may all be right about the direction things will go, but I don't think it will be as bad as the extent that you mention.

None of us have a crystal ball, and that includes all of the professional annalists and pundits.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Car Info: Car
This thread is great. I predict that if Obama doesn't fix the mess Bush made, then the republicans will say that the democrats are the ones who screwed up the country.

My prediction is that nothing will get done in Washington. The final day of the race had the McCain camp throwing all sorts of mud at Obama. That kind of scorch earth tactic, even if it works, is bad for the country. It polarizes the two parties (which it already is) in such a way that any agenda is hard to push through, any compromise on a middle ground is harder to reach. The attitude is: "one of us is right, so the other must be wrong." Instead of "we have different ideologies about how to run this country." It is like if I wanted chicken for dinner and my GF wanted pork , instead of chalking it up to us having different tastes, shes a crazy a$$ b!tch for wanting pork and she's probably going to Eff up the chicken if she cooks it. That's the spirit of uncompromise and cynicism that we have and it is on both sides.

Frankly, I think this country is screwed and there are loads of other problems we haven't even talked about yet.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-07-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by irrational x
Taxes:
fortunately obama is going into office with a massive deficit and a **** economy so he cant start doling out funds like a democrat with full control of congress normally would. i think single people making over 50k and couples making over 100k will probably see an increase in their net tax burden. thankfully they can realize losses on their investments to offset the burden
but but but... the calculator thingy on his website says that couples making 100k will save an additional $1500 in taxes under his plan vs. mccains plan which would only save $500.

i do agree with you though, the man is not dumb and will want another term in office. the popular vote wasn't quite the landslide that the electoral votes were, and I think that could change next time around if he does anything too radical.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by RussB
but but but... the calculator thingy on his website says that couples making 100k will save an additional $1500 in taxes under his plan vs. mccains plan which would only save $500.
It's a tax PLAN, not all plans make it to become policies. He also started this plan back when the economy was much better off. McCain's plan would have probably been reconfigured for this ****ty economy as well. Both of them would have expanded the deficit even more.

Americans should be used to being told about tax cuts and then getting **** on. Did you think McCain was going to fix the budget by expanding the war effort, buying up home loans, and cutting taxes? Get real.

Quick Reply: Your Predictions for Obama's Presidency