Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Y'all ever have vivid dreams of terrorism? Holy cow I had a vivid one last night!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Y'all ever have vivid dreams of terrorism? Holy cow I had a vivid one last night!

So over the last 5+ years I had one or two dreams that I recall that could be linked to the war on terror, and none nearly as vivid as the one I had last night.

Back in '01 or so I had a dream I had joined the military and watched myself talking to a fellow soldier with a big smile on my face and suddenly a sniper got me (watched myself get killed).

A couple years ago, probably as far back as '03 I had a dream that I watched a passenger-size plane lose control and crash... I think it was SJ from the perspective/distance of being on 880N. It was fairly vivid, but nothing like the one I had last night.

So I woke up with my heart pounding, because it's not generally a good sign when my wife wakes me up in the middle of the night. She says we're under some sort of attack, that all of our government nodes have been simultaneously attacked. I look out the glass window/ wall down on the city (we're very high up in a skyscraper), and plumes of smoke are coming out of various buildings. I worry about my mom who is in a nearby city. I think the smoke clouds are coming from government offices, police, and other miscellaneous points that connect our government. I don't worry that we're in a skyscraper because the attacks are small and strategic, focusing on pinpoint strikes against offices and such rather than entire structures. I say, "Those F'n Rag Heads!" I somehow new this was a turning point and life in our country would soon be like it is in Iraq... roadside bombs, no sense of safety....

Any of y'all dream that shiz? And I don't even really watch "24!"

Wait a moment, I think I know why I had this dream. I was watching some program about crazy world foods and the guy was in Morocco. It was obviously a 3rd world muslim place and the guy was eating a sheeps face...eyeball, everything! For breakfast the tradition is rotten meat preserved in fat. Basically, a place that should be nuked . That must have had something to do with it.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-10-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Yes, mostly Army dreams of the same nature.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Yeah, I have something similar about once every month but I'm always over there.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I have the same dream over & over:
In a fighting position with buddy, repelling an attack.
My M16A2 doesn't jam, it's that the bullets leave the barrel very slowly, a la The Matrix.
I get frustrated, start to panic.
Buddy gets hit.
And just as I get smoked, I wake up.

Been having that one since 1991.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Sounds like you may have a little undiagnosed PTSD, Paul.

Just after I got out I was very depressed and packed on weight. Still trying to lose it. I’m no longer depressed and far less nightmares and reoccurring dreams of being in. I think that a lot of it came from the fact my last unit got orders to go to Iraq two weeks after I cleared in early 2003. I wanted to be with them like always and felt like I abandoned them. I think everything subsided once I realized Iraq is a mess now...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Salty

Just after I got out I was very depressed and packed on weight. Still trying to lose it. I’m no longer depressed and far less nightmares and reoccurring dreams of being in. I think that a lot of it came from the fact my last unit got orders to go to Iraq two weeks after I cleared in early 2003. I wanted to be with them like always and felt like I abandoned them. I think everything subsided once I realized Iraq is a mess now...
Never thought of it like that.

I don't beat my wife, kids, or dog.
But have been in a generally foul mood for quite some time.
But seeing how the VA is treating my present disability, and that there are more vets more ****ed up than me, I don't see me persuing it.

Plus, I self medicate...just a little.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Never thought of it like that.

I don't beat my wife, kids, or dog.
But have been in a generally foul mood for quite some time.
But seeing how the VA is treating my present disability, and that there are more vets more ****ed up than me, I don't see me persuing it.

Plus, I self medicate...just a little.
Hey you should try kicking the dog. Fantastic stress relief! KIDDING!

But seriously, I think that paying too much attention to world events and the rapid disintegration of our country (and the west) by stupid white leaders is enough to give any patriot psychological issues. Our own leaders are giving away the farm. We all self-medicate as needed.

If you're a patriotic American you don't have anything to be optimistic about.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-12-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Mine stems from 9/11. That day I called my wife and woke her up. Told her to grab the baby, grab some guns, get the camping gear and hall-*** to my hospital where I was working. It was 6am or something out here.
I straight thought it was Red Dawn. I SO expected to see planes slamming into the TransAmerica or Golden Gate.
My wife made it to the hospital with my son and hour and a half later. I held her and my son in the parkiing lot and just listened to the erie silence outside. EVERYTHING stopped, even the birds chirping. 10 minutes later I was blocking driveways to the building and locking the place down with some FBI guys and Fremont PD.

In the dream, they never make it and I cannot get to them because I'm stuck at the hospital helping hurt people. I think its the feeling of total helplessness that makes me ill all the next day.
I've had the dream pretty regularly since 9/11. I have since gotten out of the hospital side of my organization so I wont be stuck in a Tivek suit breathing SCUBA air while my wife and son disappear. I hate that dream. :]
Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Hey you should try kicking the dog. Fantastic stress relief! KIDDING!

But seriously, I think that paying too much attention to world events and the rapid disintegration of our country (and the west) by stupid white leaders is enough to give any patriot psychological issues. Our own leaders are giving away the farm. We all self-medicate as needed.

If you're a patriotic American you don't have anything to be optimistic about.
Self medication is one thing, but I can't say I've ever had a nightmare about terrorism or the like. I have never served in the armed forces, so I guess that puts me in a different place, but considering I rarely (if ever) get "bad" dreams I've never had one about terrorism.

Here are my thoughts when I watch the news:
"Wow, we are ****ed. Whenever I have kids, damn, its going to be a whole different world out there."

The only time I actually come close to worrrying about it, is when I am in backpacking. Normally, it is as I am sipping down from my nice camping flask at dusk and looking around whatever valley I am in. At that point I think, "Wow, look at everything we are ****ing up. The enviornment, foriegn policy, our own political system. Its not going to be too much longer until even places like this are thoroughly screwed up as well." It is not a freakout moment, but much more of a relaxed observation.
-Jeff
Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Magish
Here are my thoughts when I watch the news:
"Wow, we are ****ed. Whenever I have kids, damn, its going to be a whole different world out there."
I think every generation thinks that, and that's why more decent human beings are needed (where you come in I hope).

One of my complaints about our govt is that we uplift folks based on social status, race, and gender while intelligence, drive, and potential is what made our country as great and innovative as it has been up to today.

Cheers,
Hella
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Originally Posted by Salty

I packed on weight and astill can't lose it LOL

How do you guys do during the 4th of July? I have found that as I get older the sound of fireworks gets me more and more uncomfortable...almost anxiety ridden.....where I live they get lit off for about a week, with the 4th being obviosly the loudest...last two years I had to go inside and listen to music. ended up not going out at all for the 4th....may spend this year hiding under the bed with the cat LOL
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I think every generation thinks that, and that's why more decent human beings are needed (where you come in I hope).

One of my complaints about our govt is that we uplift folks based on social status, race, and gender while intelligence, drive, and potential is what made our country as great and innovative as it has been up to today.

Cheers,
Hella
I agree with what you said about that affirmative action crap. Though, on a brighter note, I work with kids at my son's school, I am a Cub Scout leader and my wife teaches ESL. These kids surprise the crap outta me with how aware they are and most of them are quite brilliant. I just wish there were more of the kids I get to work with...most are simply victims of the mass-media and mass-marketing... lame...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I had a dream last night that I was back in Iraq and we were under attack and everyone was shooting and I couldnt see what we were shooting at. I saw a bullet coming at me and no matter what I did, it kept coming straight at me. As it hit me I woke up. I went back to sleep and was in the same place and time as my first dream and it happened pretty much the same way again.

I woke up this morning and the sheets were soaking wet from me sweating and my gf said I was talking in my sleep. I never talk in my sleep.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Originally Posted by svxr8dr
I packed on weight and astill can't lose it LOL

How do you guys do during the 4th of July? I have found that as I get older the sound of fireworks gets me more and more uncomfortable...almost anxiety ridden.....where I live they get lit off for about a week, with the 4th being obviosly the loudest...last two years I had to go inside and listen to music. ended up not going out at all for the 4th....may spend this year hiding under the bed with the cat LOL
new years 2007 I was outside and one of my brothers neighbors set off a 1/4 stick of dynamite. I ran behind the cars, took cover, waited about three minutes and realized what I was doing and pretended like it was a joke because everyone was staring at me.
then went and drank a few beers and stayed up all night.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by svxr8dr
How do you guys do during the 4th of July?
To be completely honest, I get emotional as hell. I've watched the fireworks in the same place on the bay out in front of my grandfathers house my whole life (short of the times I have been gone) and have to watch them by myself now. The first time I saw them after I got back I cried like a *****. Probably will again this year.