Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Was it wrong of the US to eavesdrop this time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Was it wrong of the US to eavesdrop this time?

Well? http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...225453,00.html
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Yes.

Now let's start the deportations.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Car Info: Sline
It was never wrong.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Yes.

Now let's start the deportations.
No ****.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
im sorry but peroxide based explosives are a death wish.. more likely to blow the **** up while making then when you want them to.

seems like misinformation to me... I dont for a second they were going to try and use a liquid based explosive, i just doubt it would be something as unstable as the peroxide based stuff.

the only bennie i can see from using that stuff is that due to its instability you have a better chance of setting it off when you want to.. Just run the risk of blowing it up if you trip and fall or drop it. (**** happens, just ask murphy)

(from my limited reading of course)

Last edited by dr3d1zzl3; 08-11-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
im sorry but peroxide based explosives are a death wish.. more likely to blow the **** up while making then when you want them to.

seems like misinformation to me... I dont for a second they were going to try and use a liquid based explosive, i just doubt it would be something as unstable as the peroxide based stuff.

the only bennie i can see from using that stuff is that due to its instability you have a better chance of setting it off when you want to.. Just run the risk of blowing it up if you trip and fall or drop it. (**** happens, just ask murphy)

(from my limited reading of course)
from what i've read they were planning on mixing the explosive ingredients in the air. So prior to mixing I imagine they just had relatively stable, flammable liquids. Makes sense... all they had to do was mix the substances when near the detonation zone - they could even do it in the bathroom to take the tail section off. If it went off soon then big deal... the other terrorist's bombs would go off soon enough. Mix, and apply camera flash capacitor. Done.

Then again, maybe these yahoos didn't realize the danger in the types of liquid explosives they used. Hell, even if it went off the the terminal it would've been a horrific terrorist attack. That, or maybe they know their **** so well they had an ace up their sleeve on how to keep it stable....?

Last edited by Salty; 08-11-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
this wasnt wire tapping and removing anyones American rights. This was wire tapping people already suspected and already putting their plans into action...slightly different when half of it is in Britian too
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza 2.5rs (sliver,5 speed manual, sports
Originally Posted by MBasile
this wasnt wire tapping and removing anyones American rights. This was wire tapping people already suspected and already putting their plans into action...slightly different when half of it is in Britian too

who do you think homeland security has been wire tapping from the begining? what do they need with our conversations?

the whole arguement about our rights being taken away is completely BULL**IT!!!!

1. it would be impossible to listen to everyone's conversations

2. they are only tracking calls going out to suspected terrorist groups, and only listening to the same coming in.

i might be wrong, but i'd rather let them tap mohammads cell phone conversation to iran, and find out they are planing on blowing up the john hancock building in chicago. then worry about if there listenin to me talk to my girl about deepthoarting!

another thing if yout not doing anything illegal then way worry? (if the gov had the capacity to listen to everyone)

ps i'm aware i stereotyped... sorry but it was for the points sake
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MBasile
How do you think people get suspicious? A hunch? My point is that America eavesdrops all the time. The NYT even exploited one of the necessary programs. Based on the terror risks, is everyone here still against this like they were before?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Well in this case it WAS slightly different as some of them didn't match the Middle Eastern profile. The point of this thread is to show how some of these people sought Islam (the religion of peace) in it's worst form. According to the article one was even a Christian. Sorta ironic given the constant Christian vs. Islam peace debate. You know, the debate where the left compares Christianity of centuries ago to modern Islam...

It also solidifies my point in the other recent thread (11 egyptians) that the Muslim name, regardless of where one is from, does make a difference these days.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kyle_RS
who do you think homeland security has been wire tapping from the begining? what do they need with our conversations?

the whole arguement about our rights being taken away is completely BULL**IT!!!!

1. it would be impossible to listen to everyone's conversations

2. they are only tracking calls going out to suspected terrorist groups, and only listening to the same coming in.

i might be wrong, but i'd rather let them tap mohammads cell phone conversation to iran, and find out they are planing on blowing up the john hancock building in chicago. then worry about if there listenin to me talk to my girl about deepthoarting!

another thing if yout not doing anything illegal then way worry? (if the gov had the capacity to listen to everyone)

ps i'm aware i stereotyped... sorry but it was for the points sake

1. No it wouldnt, you would be surprised at what current technology can do. (this is OPEN MARKET TECHNOLOGY, not even the stealthworks type of ****)

2. I would ask if you are stupid or just out of touch but i can tell its both. Ever hear of the NSA scandal? Ever wonder why ATT was getting sued?

3. What is deepthoarting?

4. The definition of illegal can change at a moments notice, something that is viewed as legal one day can be illegal the next. Just take a gander at the number of executive orders signed the last 6 or so years. And may i suggest reading the constitution once or twice.. After all you are going to be sworn to protect it if i am not mistaken..
Old 08-13-2006, 03:20 AM

1. No it wouldnt, you would be surprised at what current technology can do. (this is OPEN MARKET TECHNOLOGY, not even the stealthworks type of ****)

2. I would ask if you are stupid or just out of touch but i can tell its both. Ever hear of the NSA scandal? Ever wonder why ATT was getting sued?

3. What is deepthoarting?

4. The definition of illegal can change at a moments notice, something that is viewed as legal one day can be illegal the next. Just take a gander at the number of executive orders signed the last 6 or so years. And may i suggest reading the constitution once or twice.. After all you are going to be sworn to protect it if i am not mistaken..

but answer my point in sayin all that. why would they care about me? i've never called the middle east or africa or anywhere else large terrorist groups are living... why would the gov waste time listening to me talk??? thats my point. hell if i was talkin to those groups i'm glad they are listening to the conversation!

my point was it doesn't matter TO ME as long as it works

sorry i mis-typed my bad

plus just to get this thread going a little bit. YOU ARE A *****!!! don't be so anti-american you piece of sh**!!! i hope the F***ING terrorist come and butt **** you!

Last edited by kyle_RS; 08-13-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

but answer my point in sayin all that. why would they care about me? i've never called the middle east or africa or anywhere else large terrorist groups are living... why would the gov waste time listening to me talk??? thats my point. hell if i was talkin to those groups i'm glad they are listening to the conversation!

my point was it doesn't matter TO ME as long as it works

sorry i mis-typed my bad

plus just to get this thread going a little bit. YOU ARE A *****!!! don't be so anti-american you piece of sh**!!! i hope the F***ING terrorist come and butt **** you!

They most likely dont care about you, but democracy's founding principles is the ability to debate openly. If one group is in a position of power and can impose laws that allow it to eavesdrop, spy, and arrest others for opposing (think mc carthy, think soviet russia, etc) its own views, you no longer have a democracy.

Lets not be stupid here, domestic spying isnt news, we have been doing it since the dawn of time at some level or another. Todays technology just make it a whole lot easier to do it on a massive scale for very little cost. This in and of its self opens up a liability for abuse. It is that abuse (maybe an intel officer using wiretaps for personal gain, or to justify a revenge killing, or any of a million other abuses) that is dangerous both to you, me, and everyone else in this country. It is that potential for abuse (and the apparent abuse of that power in recent years) that erodes away our representitive democracy.

Its pretty ****ing simple, the "i dont do anything wrong, so i dont care" defense means **** when the concept of what is right and wrong can shift from underneath you. All of a sudden if the music you like, the cars you drive, or anything you hold true and dear is outlawed you are ****ed. And it wouldnt matter if you stoped all that and gave it all up, they would have it on record and you would get owned for it.

I cant think of any better example then Communist Russia, Communist china, or any other ****ed up state/society like that.

The muse of democracy doesnt mean that you actually have it....

10 bucks says you dont even understand wtf i said
Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 AM

They most likely dont care about you, but democracy's founding principles is the ability to debate openly. If one group is in a position of power and can impose laws that allow it to eavesdrop, spy, and arrest others for opposing (think mc carthy, think soviet russia, etc) its own views, you no longer have a democracy.

Lets not be stupid here, domestic spying isnt news, we have been doing it since the dawn of time at some level or another. Todays technology just make it a whole lot easier to do it on a massive scale for very little cost. This in and of its self opens up a liability for abuse. It is that abuse (maybe an intel officer using wiretaps for personal gain, or to justify a revenge killing, or any of a million other abuses) that is dangerous both to you, me, and everyone else in this country. It is that potential for abuse (and the apparent abuse of that power in recent years) that erodes away our representitive democracy.

Its pretty ****ing simple, the "i dont do anything wrong, so i dont care" defense means **** when the concept of what is right and wrong can shift from underneath you. All of a sudden if the music you like, the cars you drive, or anything you hold true and dear is outlawed you are ****ed. And it wouldnt matter if you stoped all that and gave it all up, they would have it on record and you would get owned for it.

I cant think of any better example then Communist Russia, Communist china, or any other ****ed up state/society like that.

The muse of democracy doesnt mean that you actually have it....

10 bucks says you dont even understand wtf i said

actually i agree with its scary to think someone could abuse it. like you said though they have been doin this for years, now its just in the open! i don't want my car taken away.

haha

i'm more afraid of an extremist blowing me up, than i am the usa gov becoming communist, in my lifetime.

you might think i'm an idiot but its a reasonable fear

ps i understood everything you said you motherf***er! your getting a little to serious dr3d1zzl3. maybe you should go see snakes on a plane to vent some stress
Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

actually i agree with its scary to think someone could abuse it. like you said though they have been doin this for years, now its just in the open! i don't want my car taken away.

haha

i'm more afraid of an extremist blowing me up, than i am the usa gov becoming communist, in my lifetime.

you might think i'm an idiot but its a reasonable fear

ps i understood everything you said you motherf***er! your getting a little to serious dr3d1zzl3. maybe you should go see snakes on a plane to vent some stress

haha not even near serious man.. but just tring to make sure i was communicating effectivly

chances of you getting blown up by a whack job is next to nill..

Quick Reply: Was it wrong of the US to eavesdrop this time?