Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Woman Fired For Eating 'Unclean' Meat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Woman Fired For Eating 'Unclean' Meat

Classic case of religious discrimination from Muslims...

http://www.local6.com/news/3614199/detail.html

And all this time i thought it was the other way around... :baffled:
Old 08-06-2004, 04:04 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I hope this is treated like the hate crime that it is.

Imagine me...okay, that's a bad example...imagine that a Muslim was fired at Catholic Charities for praying five times a day to Allah.
Man can you picture the headlines...

Paul
Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
Imagine that a Muslim was fired at Catholic Charities for praying five times a day to Allah.
Man can you picture the headlines...

Paul
Amen, brother!

Reuters and AP would have a field day. Seeing how it's the other way around it's only local news.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I thought I was going to find **** in this thread!
Old 08-07-2004, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
I see nothing different here than many companies I work for that do not allow you to carry firearms in their vehicles. I was dismissed for carrying mine in the vehicle while working out of town.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
She was fired for failing to comply with company policy, not for being non-muslim. I'm sure it was in her company guidelines that she read when hired.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
She was fired for failing to comply with company policy, not for being non-muslim. I'm sure it was in her company guidelines that she read when hired.
Since when is company policy limit you from eating a BLT? Let's not compare apples to oranges on this issue seeing how the CEO -is- Muslim. Eating pork during lunch doesn't effect the image of the company like a scandalous outfit -nor- disrupt work... it's bread, lettuce, tomato and bacon with mayonnaise. :baffled:

The company policy is obviously religiously influenced and ridiculous. If I started a company in Jacksonville, MO that forbid fried chicken, watermelon and colla'd greens you can bet I’d be coined a racist even though it's "company policy". Although my example demonstrates racism and the story at hand suggests religious discrimination, BOTH are against equal rights and should be treated as such.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:11 PM

And Hooters waitresses are degraded by their sexist, chauvinist, and immoral (by some standards) uniforms. You remember the uproar over putting the Hooters in Natomas. Whether they are right or wrong is besides the point. If a woman got a job as aHooters girl and showed up for work in a turtleneck and sweatpants, she'd be fired to for failing to meet conditions she knew to exist.

I didn't say the company was right for making the policy. But this woman can't complain about getting fired after being warned for breaking the rules.

Furthermore, we're talking about policy, defined by religious people in a privately-run organization. It is just like a company, run by Baptists, which prohibits blasphemy. If you work there and say "God damn it" enough, you'd be fired there too. FYI, eating "unclean meat" is blasphemous to Muslims; it is defiance of the Word of God as they se it. It's far less petty than it seems to those of us not accustomed to the details of religions different than our own.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

And Hooters waitresses are degraded by their sexist, chauvinist, and immoral (by some standards) uniforms. You remember the uproar over putting the Hooters in Natomas. Whether they are right or wrong is besides the point. If a woman got a job as aHooters girl and showed up for work in a turtleneck and sweatpants, she'd be fired to for failing to meet conditions she knew to exist.
I agree with you only if she refused to take of the turtleneck and sweat pants after being asked nicely by the management. Let's not forget that cleavage is Hooter's theme... this other woman simply got the boot for some bacon and pizza toppings because the CEO (a practicing Muslim) admittedly said "pork was considered unclean"

I can see her getting fired if she poured the scalding bacon fat over her boss' head but to fire her for a company violation that's prohibited under the EO act is asinine, illegal and un-American.

Furthermore, we're talking about policy, defined by religious people in a privately-run organization. It is just like a company, run by Baptists, which prohibits blasphemy. If you work there and say "God damn it" enough, you'd be fired there too. FYI, eating "unclean meat" is blasphemous to Muslims; it is defiance of the Word of God as they se it. It's far less petty than it seems to those of us not accustomed to the details of religions different than our own.
Wrong... you can get away with much more on private land, such as, the right to have private security possess firearms and things of that nature. However, if you violate state laws and the constitution your private land rights mean absolutely dick.

The CEO can write damn near anything in his company policy and every employee can abide by biting their tongue. But if these policies infringe on state, federal laws and constitutional rights and said employee decides to complain -or- exercise their rights, then they're null and void.

I deal with private property all the time and the property owners still pay taxes, have IRS liens and live on U.S. soil. The only way this CEO could have gotten away with this within "United States boundaries" is if his company was located in/on any foreign embassy or consulate which wouldn't conflict with his company policy.

Last edited by Salty; 08-08-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:22 PM

You're forgetting one thing- the Constitution only protects us from the government, not each other. The Bill of Rights doesn't apply in Civil matters.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
That is a clear cut case of discrimination. Period.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by pbchief2
I see nothing different here than many companies I work for that do not allow you to carry firearms in their vehicles. I was dismissed for carrying mine in the vehicle while working out of town.
Did your employer have a written policy that you signed in acknowledgement? If yes, then I'm sorry for you.

Everyone that thinks she violated "company policy", please read the article again.
Her company did not have a documented pork policy:
"...However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported..."Did you ever sign to or agree to anything that said I will not eat pork?" Holfeld asked Morales.
"Never," Morales said...
However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported...."

If a company's policy isn't written/documented, the policy does not exist...and in this case, I hope she sues.

Paul

P.S. I wonder if the ACLU will represent Ms Morales pro bono?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:33 PM

Ah, that is very different. I hope she takes them to the cleaners.