Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

why we cant compete with foreign oil suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti aka Subrina!
why we cant compete with foreign oil suppliers

i recently heard the last time an oil refinery was built domestically was 30 years ago.

why the 30 year gap and no new drilling/oil refinery?

why build and import millions and millions of cars without a sufficient fuel source?

would gas prices be different if we had continued to "Drill" and build refinaries?

who is responsible for this disaster?

a few questions we should get floating around maybe someone here knows
someone in office.. this is soo retarded somone needs to be held liable for the current situation were in.

Last edited by nslow_fast_out; 05-21-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
What? I dont see what a refinery has to do with the price of a barrel of crude oil.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
What? I dont see what a refinery has to do with the price of a barrel of crude oil.
"As demand for oil increases, supplies get tighter and costs go up. That’s Economics 101. A recent Canadian study"
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

heres a good link

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=26436
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Car Info: impreza 1997
We dont have our own refineries due to the tree huggers. We can't run oil through alaska because of them, either, even though the pipes are there and such. its just because they dont want to upset the beauty of a place no one sees other than rich snobby people who can afford the outrageous prices on oil reguardless.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Yeah oil refineries have nothing to do witht he price of oil.

Do you know how many refineries are in teh bay area. and on top of that they arent even working at full capacity.

oil drilling and pumps would have more to do with it.

however its not even that. its the source of oil we have to pull from isnt that great. minus alaska.

so no to answer your question i dont believe that if we kept building oil refineries we would not b better off on gas prices
Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Car Info: White 04 Sti
Blame on environmental laws that's been out of date. It was made over 30 years ago because outdated refining technology created bad polution and environmental impacts the US government stop handing out permits for new refineries. If the refineries had grew with the gas demands our gas prices might be lower. But oil prices will still be high and that, according to oil companies, will drive up gas prices. Basically, they have us by the *****...

Originally Posted by KrisND
We dont have our own refineries due to the tree huggers. We can't run oil through alaska because of them, either, even though the pipes are there and such. its just because they dont want to upset the beauty of a place no one sees other than rich snobby people who can afford the outrageous prices on oil reguardless.
yup exactly.. i remember awhile back people were afraid the pipelines would effect moose and other animal migrations.. if i had a say in things i would air lift animals that typically migrate to their breeding grounds that way we could drill for the oil we desperately need and the animals can prosper win/win situation imo.. haha
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by nslow_fast_out
"As demand for oil increases, supplies get tighter and costs go up. That’s Economics 101. A recent Canadian study"

I find this funny because Jewpac has a degree in econ. and he's jewish... they know money apparently.

Some say we are just holding back until other countries run out. and then we'll hike up the price and start pumping again.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
Yeah oil refineries have nothing to do witht he price of oil.

Do you know how many refineries are in teh bay area. and on top of that they arent even working at full capacity.

oil drilling and pumps would have more to do with it.

however its not even that. its the source of oil we have to pull from isnt that great. minus alaska.

so no to answer your question i dont believe that if we kept building oil refineries we would not b better off on gas prices
not just the refinary i mean what good is refinary without oil. "domestic oil exploration"

Last edited by nslow_fast_out; 05-21-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 PM

Nuclear power baby, anybody against it is against the longevity of the US....................I'm sortuv a hippie, but stupid so called environmentalists have stopped it fromm growing.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon

why the 30 year gap and no new oil refinary?.

Environmentalists suck.

why build and import millions and millions of cars without a sufficient fuel source?.
Duh. $$$$

would gas prices be different if we had continued to build refinaries?
No.

who is responsible for this disaster?.
You are.
I am.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM

i wish our cars ran on nuke power.

blah blah i know why, saftery terrorism whatever. but all of that aside tiny nuke reactors inside of cars=no emissions= tons of power= fuel sorce for a very long time.

god forbid someone were to get in an accident though. but that why we make little capsuals to contain even if there is a huge accident. it would be a great idea even though its not possible.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 PM

I heard, and i have posted this before.

If Exxon, BP, Chevron, Shell, and Conoco Phillips only made a $60 billion profit instead of $120 billion we could still be paying $2 at the pump.

Only 2 bucks wouldnt that be great. i remember when it hit $2 and $3 and everyone was freaking out.

and soon it will be $5 and $6 and we will laugh about how we were trippin when it hit $4.

so so sad... and depressing.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Some say we are just holding back until other countries run out. and then we'll hike up the price and start pumping again.
I tend to at least partially agree with that. The US has a "Strategic Oil Reserve", a bunch of oil tanks. Fine. That's short term stuff there. The real strategic oil reserve is still in the ground.

Quick Reply: why we cant compete with foreign oil suppliers