Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Why do liberals hate Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Why do liberals hate Christmas?

I heard someone saying they were going to post "Happy Birthday to Jesus" decorations in order to irritate their liberal neighbors, and somehow I think it will.

Why is it that Liberals hate Christmas?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
I don't think they do, its usually people of other religions. I tend not to divide people into liberals or conservatives. Usually people are a bit of both.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
First off it depends on which Christmas you are talking about. Are you talking about Coca-Cola Santa and gift giving for the purpose giving gifts Christmas, or are you talking about the birth of Christ nativity scene Christmas. Liberals certainly don't hate the former, however the religious connotations of the latter do rub people the wrong way considering not everyone believes in it. But that's true of any religious holiday. What I find rather odd about Christmas is that all empirically verifiable and anecdotal evidence points to Jesus being born in June or July (based on locations of stars etc.) so why the hell is it celebrated in Dec?

-Chris
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
As a sort-of liberal, I'm moderately put off by "both" Christmases. I get tired of religion being thrown in my face by the zealot types, and I also REALLY get tired of capitalism getting thrown in my face all the time too. Don't even get me started on Christmas decorations and music coming out on nov. 1...

An oversimplified reply, but it's probably something like what you were looking for helladumb.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Oh, and "Happy Birthday to Jesus" is a complete misnomer. The Catholic Church established Christmas to eradicate some pagan holiday that was celebrated on Dec. 25th. Not that there's no reason to celebrate the birth of Christ, but let's not pretend it's actually his birthday.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
What I find rather odd about Christmas is that all empirically verifiable and anecdotal evidence points to Jesus being born in June or July (based on locations of stars etc.) so why the hell is it celebrated in Dec?

-Chris
It's very near the winter equinox, and was traditionally a pagan holiday, afaik.

I'm not sure what hella said, but assuming he wasn't posting his usual flame bait, I'll give an honest answer and say that I know a lot of liberals who love Christmas and who regularly attend Christian churches and home bible studies...I even know of folks who aren't Christians who enjoy the holiday, and *gasp* even the traditional caroles which sing of Christ! It's called tolerance and a positive attitude, some folks have it and others don't. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with political idealogy.

edit: looks like BAN SUVS beat me to the Pagan holiday thing...
Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

I've always heard it started from the Roman Pagan festival of Saturnalia.

I found this: http://paganwiccan.about.com/cs/abou.../paganxmas.htm
Old 12-15-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
An oversimplified reply, but it's probably something like what you were looking for helladumb.
I shouldn't expect any more
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
It's very near the winter equinox, and was traditionally a pagan holiday, afaik.

I'm not sure what hella said, but assuming he wasn't posting his usual flame bait, I'll give an honest answer and say that I know a lot of liberals who love Christmas and who regularly attend Christian churches and home bible studies...I even know of folks who aren't Christians who enjoy the holiday, and *gasp* even the traditional caroles which sing of Christ! It's called tolerance and a positive attitude, some folks have it and others don't. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with political idealogy.

edit: looks like BAN SUVS beat me to the Pagan holiday thing...

Well said... Not all Christians are conservatives!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Screw christmas, everyone celebrate festivus!

j/k I love christmas.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:30 PM

No matter what your beliefs, Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on Christmas, and it seems to irk people (And yes, educated Christians know he wasn't born on Dec 25!).

You notice how people tend to say happy holidays, or spell Christmas, "Xmas?"
I guess it's just one more thing that will be ruined by the time I'm old and grey.
I guarantee you we will see less and less of Christ in Christmas as the years go by.

The whole Santa and gift thing is another thing, but I don't have a problem with it.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I'm with Linus (from Peanuts) on this one, it's over-commercialized. It has lost much of it's religious meaning, and instead of being more concerned about getting together with friends and family, people are flipping out about buying stuff . . . it's rather discouraging
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Talking

Futurama predicts that in the future Christmas will be permanently replaced by X-mas and Santa becomes an evil robot that terrorizes everyone who wasn't good...and they use palm trees to decorate.

Last edited by MVWRX; 12-16-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by jdepould
I'm with Linus (from Peanuts) on this one, it's over-commercialized. It has lost much of it's religious meaning, and instead of being more concerned about getting together with friends and family, people are flipping out about buying stuff . . . it's rather discouraging
Linus rocks!
I've got the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack in the CD changer of my car. One of my favorites...

Quick Reply: Why do liberals hate Christmas?