Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Why do Entertainers insist on giving their .02...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Why do Entertainers insist on giving their .02...

...when nobody cares!

People like the Baldwin's, the crumbling-Air America crew, the Dixie Chicks and Whoopi Goldberg keep insisting that because they're in the spotlight we actually care. Why do they think this way and do any of you think it's okay?

Here's Whoopi's latest in regard to flaming Bush and her ex-Slim Fast contract.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-183225c.html

Does this mean we'll have the "priviledge" of listening to her on Hollywood Squares more?

Whoopi Goldberg, and other "celebrities" that follow suit, are jokes. Her career ended with the lame Sister Act series of movies... you'd think she would have learned to shut-up in order to maintain somewhat of a celebrity lifestyle... just pathetic.

Last edited by Salty; 07-16-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:25 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
How does it feel? Don't lose sleep, k?

Here's my question to you: Why do you care?!

I honestly have no idea about it and could give a rat's *** if it they did or didn't. Is the void in your life so large that you can't sleep at night because you feel they are doing this?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Here's my question to you: Why do you care?!

I honestly have no idea about it and could give a rat's *** if it they did or didn't. Is the void in your life so large that you can't sleep at night because you feel they are doing this?
How original.

Just doing my job in an effort to keep this forum active via discussion. Thanks for helping again, Helladumb!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM

Car Info: GDA
LOL....i wanted to reply to this thread, only to see you two at it again.

anyway, back on topic...

entertainers are people too; they have their own value system and their own beliefs, be it political or religious. i think they should be able to express their beliefs in a more subtle fashion -- none of this, "i'll declare it on SNL for all the country to see" stuff.

but that's just my .02.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Celebritie give everyone their opinions because they can. It's that simple. When you're famous, people put a camera in your face and becaue it's a free country, they can say what they want.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
^^yup, i agree with most of whats been said. plus i think some of them are proabably convinced their opinions are all right and by telling everyone on tv they can make more people see things their way.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:50 AM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by awns729
^^yup, i agree with most of whats been said. plus i think some of them are proabably convinced their opinions are all right and by telling everyone on tv they can make more people see things their way.
...and that is the cause of my concern. they are high profile individuals and have the power to sway people's minds...at least they have the means to do so.

i don't mind it when people tell me about their opinions. however, i do mind it if they try to convert me to seeing things their way.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by doughboy
i don't mind it when people tell me about their opinions. however, i do mind it if they try to convert me to seeing things their way.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The whole purpose of democracy is to make some semblance of order out of a chaotic mix of views and belief. That doesn't mean that everybody has to folow the "party line" afterwards.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:57 AM

Silly question Salty. They are just like us, political spammers. They just happen to have a camera and a microphone in front of them. I love it, Comedy Gold. Just reinforces my low opinion of Hollyweird.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FUNKED1
Silly question Salty. They are just like us, political spammers. They just happen to have a camera and a microphone in front of them. I love it, Comedy Gold. Just reinforces my low opinion of Hollyweird.

I didn't think so... just wanted to know if anyone of you can fathom why they think we care.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i think it is great they are getting involved, if anything it will only stir the pot more, causing more and more people to get involved with politics. I hope to god that bush being a s****ty as he is gets more people involved in the proccess, thus invigorating american polities. I know over the last year or so i have become much more involved in politics (as far as following it).

Just hope everyone else does the same, our system depends on the citizens getting involved, that is THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS CORRUPTION AND ABUSE OF POWER AT BAY.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
People really don't care about celebrities' political views. If they listen to them at all, it's just to reinforce how they already feel. We just witnessed Whoopi Goldberg lose her Slim-Fast® contract over statements she made on her own free time. This is similar to how Anita Bryant lost her contract as TV spokesperson for the Florida Orange Growers Association by making anti-gay comments on her own time.

Many (but not all) movie and TV stars, sports figures, and even retired military officers (on CNN), have commented on politics for many years. On one side, you have your Alec Baldwins, your Barbra Streisands, and your Whoopi Goldbergs. On the other side, you have your Ted Nugents and Charlton Hestons (speaking on behalf of the NRA), your Sam Elliots (who referred to Bill Clinton as an ***hole on a talk show), your Tom Sellecks, your Pat Buchanans, and your Rush Limbaughs, and most NASCAR fans.

When celebrities speak publicly on policies too far out from the American center, they get the boot from the corporations that want to market to mainstream America. It really has less to do with how the corporate heads feel about Ms Goldberg's or Ms Bryants political views, but how it will impact company sales. Most companies don't want a spokesperson who is controversial.

I don't mind celebrities speaking publicly about their political views or showing support for their candidates. The only time it would bother me is if they decided that they are smarter than me and that I don't have enough intelligence to vote for myself.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
The only thing I don't like about celebrities speaking out about their political views is that no matter how they put things, some idiot is bound to listen to them and change his/her political opinions.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
I don't mind celebrities speaking publicly about their political views or showing support for their candidates. The only time it would bother me is if they decided that they are smarter than me and that I don't have enough intelligence to vote for myself.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Along these lines, am I the only one who is a little uncomfortabel with MTv's Rock The Vote and otehr movements aimed at getting young people to vote? Granted, they do a good job of not trying to sway young voters as they do to simply get them to particpate, but I wonder- does the average young voter (I say that to refer to a loosely defined group of people who probably haven't voted for a president before, or were maybe around for 2000) know enough to cast a vote? If they don't care beyond trying to be a part of a "cool" crowd of people who are also voting should you really bother? I mean, a lot of people like to complain about low voter turnouts- I'm even one of them, in some ways, but if someone doesn't care enough on their own to decide on their candidate(s) and issues, should we really encourage them to cast what may well be a decisicive vote that may not be rooted in any sort of reason or logic? I'm not saying the sky is falling here or that this is the bane of democracy, but it kind of bothers me that my voice could be cancelled out by someone who is completely uninformed and is voting on the closest thing to a whim.

Also, I'm in no way calling for any sort of control over those kinds of campaigns or suggesting that anybody not vote for any reason. I just find it a bit troublesome that so many votes have no real thought process leading to the choice made behind the curtain.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by awns729
The only thing I don't like about celebrities speaking out about their political views is that no matter how they put things, some idiot is bound to listen to them and change his/her political opinions.
Yeah, that dovetails nicely with the comments that took me longer to type than yours did.

Quick Reply: Why do Entertainers insist on giving their .02...