Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Who HASN'T bought it yet?? (Liberalism is a Mental Disorder)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by jdepould
anybody else think conservatives and liberals are both sick in the head?

Or maybe the mental disease is wanting to be exactly the same as everyone else and either becoming moderate or not caring.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
(again, that's a personal choice)
They are all your choice. So are you saying society would be fine if EVERYONE ignored them?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
They are all your choice. So are you saying society would be fine if EVERYONE ignored them?

I'm saying you don't need to have ever been religious to realize what's right and wrong. In fact, in my experience people who are not religious and do not even know all 10 of the comandments conduct themselves in a more civil, understanding, and moral manor than anyone I know who is religious.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm saying you don't need to have ever been religious to realize what's right and wrong. In fact, in my experience people who are not religious and do not even know all 10 of the comandments conduct themselves in a more civil, understanding, and moral manor than anyone I know who is religious.
Agreed, but it just so happens that our country was founded by men from certain particular RELIGIOUS beliefs, whether they were practicing protestants, catholics, or whatever. That background is particularly relevant in our political foundation and laws, and the core belief in a "Christian God" made our country unique.

This sense of morality and society were the underpinnings that made our coutry great. I don't see how anyone could ignore it....seeing how our political documents are filled with the word "God." They most certainly weren't talking about Budah (sp?).

Morality and social acceptance will determine the future of our country, so I think it's ovious we are headed downhill =).

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-14-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Agreed, but it just so happens that our country was founded by men from certain particular RELIGIOUS beliefs, whether they were practicing protestants, catholics, or whatever. That background is particularly relevant in our political foundation and laws, and the core belief in a "Christian God" made our country unique.

This sense of morality and society were the underpinnings that made our coutry great. I don't see how anyone could ignore it....seeing how our political documents are filled with the word "God." They most certainly weren't talking about Budah (sp?).

Morality and social acceptance will determine the future of our country, so I think it's ovious we are headed downhill =).
Am I mistaken that the basis of our country was suppose to be religious freedom not a "Christian God"?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA

I think you must first understand that all religions do not believe in God. Sure, most religions worship some sort of Supernatural Being, popular to each respective sect. But religion is, in essence, a philosophy or a way of living one's life based on moral belief. So to say that you can live a life in a moral, upright manner without religion is incorrect, because THAT IS the foundation of religion.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
I think you must first understand that all religions do not believe in God. Sure, most religions worship some sort of Supernatural Being, popular to each respective sect. But religion is, in essence, a philosophy or a way of living one's life based on moral belief. So to say that you can live a life in a moral, upright manner without religion is incorrect, because THAT IS the foundation of religion.
Well then your just talking about semantics. He was probably talking about organized religion.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ericdared81
Well then your just talking about semantics. He was probably talking about organized religion.
He might've been...but then again all 'organized religion' is is 2 or more people with similar moral beliefs coming together and accepting each other as such, right?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Dirty Redhead

He might've been...but then again all 'organized religion' is is 2 or more people with similar moral beliefs coming together and accepting each other as such, right?
Sure, you are right, everyone is religious. Now having any type of discussion takes 5 min longer to explain what everyone means.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 PM

So the foundation of religion is morals. And the religion is the building. You're saying you can't have the foundation without the building. That's bulls***. I can build a basement and then cover it with dirt. Then I'd have the foundation (the morals) without the building (the religion).
Symantics are one of religious people's strongest tools because it can be made to make anything and everything that isn't religious seem immoral, and everything that is religious seem perfectly moral. It's a trick.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ericdared81
Am I mistaken that the basis of our country was suppose to be religious freedom not a "Christian God"?
Due you mean "the purpose of," or "the foundation of?"

They certainly did not want "a state church," nor the church/govt meddling in each-other's affairs, hence the separation of church and state. However, it does not lessen the fact that our country came about out of Christian influence, to say the least.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:09 PM

They certainly did not want "a state church," nor the church/govt meddling in each-other's affairs, hence the separation of church and state. However, it does not lessen the fact that our country came about out of Christian influence, to say the least.
Who cares what religion they were or how they came to decide on the moral values of the country. Maybe that's important for a history lesson, but beyond that it shouldn't impact anything. Furthermore, your argument earlier in the thread that the word "God" on money etc... is proof of our fore fathers religious perposes...no, that's more proof that they didn't really get the seperation of church and state right yet. We should improve on what they did and make the seperation more obvious.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Dirty Redhead

Yes, most of the people that started this country did it from their Christian views. But that doesn't mean that we should start governing by them.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Actually, that's an opinion. No one really knows why religion started, but I believe that it is much more likely to have started as a way to explain phenomenon that humans didn't understand. Like the aurora borealis. And waves. And clouds. Stuff that we do understand now.
Furthermore, religion has been most comonly used as a means of social control, than it has as a 'moral guide'.
Finally, the very idea of a superior being whom's existance you have to take on faith is irrelevant to the fact that most people who are religious are religious for their own salvation, not for the good of others. This fact by itself shows how religion is not a great way to encourage morals. Appreciation and respect for other humans is the only way to have true morals. Give the people credit, not some mythological book/god/savior.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

So the foundation of religion is morals. And the religion is the building. You're saying you can't have the foundation without the building. That's bulls***. I can build a basement and then cover it with dirt. Then I'd have the foundation (the morals) without the building (the religion).
Symantics are one of religious people's strongest tools because it can be made to make anything and everything that isn't religious seem immoral, and everything that is religious seem perfectly moral. It's a trick.
MVWRX, don't jump to conclusions so quickly. Do some research on religion yourself and you will find that morality is what constitutes a religion. I'm talking about a foundation here, not a basement. I'm a contractor so don't try to 'bend' my statement. There is a distinct difference between a basement and a foundation. A basement is part of the building, which has its own foundation underneath that. So if you were to build a foundation it would do you no good to not put a house or even a basement on top of it. Call it symantics, call it what you want. It's called research as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: Who HASN'T bought it yet?? (Liberalism is a Mental Disorder)