Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

"When this election's over, you'll see us move very vigorously"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
"When this election's over, you'll see us move very vigorously"

Major Assaults on Hold Until After U.S. Vote

This is an interesting crossroads...

We already have control of Samarra and Tall Afar as of October 1st, but will wait till post-November 2nd (I put money on Nov 3rd) to take Falluja and Ramadi. Seems reasonable but we risk even more unstable elections in January. They’ll have to retake these cities expeditiously in order to make the election. If we gain control of these major insurgent cities then I have a good feeling about the outcome of Iraq.

May our men shine with heavy canteens when that day comes. These upcoming battles may rival Mogadishu so good intelligence is an absolute must.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tilafterusvote

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration plans to delay major assaults on rebel-held cities in Iraq (news - web sites) until after U.S. elections in November, say administration officials, mindful that large-scale military offensives could affect the U.S. presidential race.

"When this election's over, you'll see us move very vigorously," said one senior administration official involved in strategic planning, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"Once you're past the election, it changes the political ramifications" of a large-scale offensive, the official said. "We're not on hold right now. We're just not as aggressive."

Any delay in pacifying Iraq's most troublesome cities, however, could alter the dynamics of a different election — the one in January, when Iraqis are to elect members of a national assembly.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Y'know, I don't know how to feel about this.
The idea of using troop's lives in the naame of politics is, well, disturbing.
If you're gonna go, then go, and certainly don't announce it ahead of time.

I just don't know.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by Oaf
Y'know, I don't know how to feel about this.
The idea of using troop's lives in the naame of politics is, well, disturbing.
If you're gonna go, then go, and certainly don't announce it ahead of time.

I just don't know.
I agree with you but see their point too. I think they're more worried about Bush not getting re-elected which will put a wrench in this entire effort?
But at the same time, wonder why they haven't gone in order to prepare for January elections? Who knows...

And telegraphing had never been a good idea before a major offensive. Nothing like giving Fallujah and Ramadi a chance to get dug in like a tick. You'd think these high ranking officials would keep their mouth shut to the press?! :baffled: