Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Were you lied to by your recruiters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Were you lied to by your recruiters?

After looking at all the anti-recruiter protestor signs from Berkeley that read "No military predators" and "Recruiters lie, people die", I began to wonder if my recruiter lied to me or not.

I was told my job would suck the most. It did. But I was also told that with the level of suck would come pride and a level of comradery not found elsewhere in the service. They were right and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was told that even though I picked Italy as priority on my station wish list I may still end-up elsewhere. They were right again as I did not get picked out of jump school. I was promised money for college. Got it. I was promised schools. Got them too. I was told that if I successfully pass the APFT, drill, and land nav courses in DEP that i'd make E2. I was pinned PV2 before I shipped off.

Like anything new in life I think the "lied to" part is in the mind of the beholder. You get the idea that you'll be Tom Cruise from Top Gun with women swooning all over you. Turns out that you're surrounded by 20,000 other Soldiers in a small town that thought the same thing. Competition is still the same as a result, maybe even harder because local military usually get a bad rap. You are pretty pimp with the ladies outside of your military town i've noticed.

Another thing is that people just don't consider how hard it can be and feel they were lied to when maybe they didn't ask enough questions or do enough research to make an educated decision on enlisting. After all, it's not like going off to college where you realize it's going to be harder than your last 12 years of school. At least that 12 years should have helped prepare you somewhat. Instead it's a total shell shocking experience that may leave you helpless depending on how strong you are.

So then ALL these people go off and tell their friends how their cousin was lied to. Mind you it's never a first-hand account... It's always a friend of a friend or a relative that once served and got the **** kicked out of him by his drill sergeant in 2005. Then they grow-out their hair in dreads, by all the Che garbage they can, then tell all their hippy friends that once read Johnny Got His Gun and discussed pickle barreling in a freshman literature class.

So were you really lied to by your recruiters?

Last edited by Salty; 02-11-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I don't think they lied as much as they withheld information. They were not ready to share the 5hitty details about what lied ahead. It certainly wouldn't have changed my mind if they did.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I think that's more of my point with being prepared for it like you are somewhat prepared for college. I mean when you get accepted to a good college you have to expect a decent workload. And you're willing to pay 30k a year in some cases to get your brain raped. So how does a recruiter sell the military? Pay sucks, depending on what MOS you've chosen you may not have any skills in demand, etc.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I was sold. They didn't have to sell me anything. The only thing I wish I did was choose GSE instead of GSM.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I wouldn't call it lying, more like "salesmanship"...similar to a used car salesman.

I'd still do it all over again...and then some.
Wish I would've gone airborne, ranger, etc.

My biggest regret to date.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
I was a recruiters dream come true. I knew exactly what I wanted and was going to sign up for something regardless. On top of that I wanted to be an 11B with the option to go to a Regiment if my performance in Basic would facilitate it. I think the guys who get pissed are the ones who want the world but aren't willing to endure the suck to get it. They watch too much Rambo and Black Hawk Down and think they can put a beret on just by signing up.

I think everyone that's served knows "screwed" as a term in the Army is in the eye of the behold. There are a lot of guys in the Army that would say I got screwed. I deploy more often, sleep in the woods in almost always inclement weather and endure **** a lot of guys would be pissed about. I love it though.

On top of all of it the Army taught me some cool stuff including in-demand foreign language, I've seen a lot of the world and most importantly, made friends I see as brothers. I wouldn't change anything other than maybe giving a few **** bird officers in the past a piece of my mind.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

You sleep in the woods in inclement weather?

My rule was: If it's raining, I ain't getting my fartsack wet; too ****ing heavy.
So, being at Ft Lewis, I did not sleep that much.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
You don't sell the steak. You sell the sizzle!
My recruiter originally sold me a pretty good deal. He left out some of the suck, but hey I'm Air Force. And in a job that requires Computers (therefore some infrastructure.) It doesn't suck nearly as bad for me as it does for others, The down side is we don't make rank as fast.

The protesters in Berzerkly don't know what the hell they are talking about, and probably have never been in the Service. Therefor their opinions mean little. Just raving moon bats howling at the sky.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
You sleep in the woods in inclement weather?

My rule was: If it's raining, I ain't getting my fartsack wet; too ****ing heavy.
So, being at Ft Lewis, I did not sleep that much.
Oh hell yeah, me too. I sleep laying against my ruck where ever I happen to stop. Rolling all that bull**** up in the morning (especially wet) was more of a pain in the *** than the small comfort it added. You're usually so tired it doesn't matter anyway. I guess you're familiar with the birds that suck your blood during those 40 degree rainy nights some people called mosquitoes. Biggest ones I've ever seen, sounded like lawn mowers.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

And the ant hills.

For those that have never been to Fort Lewis, an area with a high concentration of pine trees, one of the first things you'll notice is that the forest floor is clean; no pine needles.

It's because the ants pick up the pine needles and build mounds 5' to 8' tall.

But back to the lying.....

As was mentioned, it's the sizzle that is sold.
My recruiter did not tell me every little detail of my enlistment, because there's no way to know where you'll go, get transfered to, deployed to, etc.

As everyone has mentioned, there was a certain amount of suck to be expected; some days had more, some less.

That's life.

How many people with civilian jobs get lied to?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
To hell with Berkeley

I'm beginning to think that only *****'s and the people that never served complain about being lied to. Simple as that. I joined as a 12B and knew exactly what I was getting in to. I even had the foresight to request Jump School while in Oakland signing up. The guy at the computer looked at me like I was crazy and then proceeded to look for an open spot that followed my completion of Basic and AIT. Sure enough, there was a spot. I was on the fast track to becoming a five jump chump. I later got bored of blowing stuff up and went on to more interesting things. Oh, and someone mentioned how T.V. glorifies the military and makes it seem super cool...It is! When you're in uniform and in a patriotic state (not Ca.) people like to pat you on the back, shake your hand, and buy you drinks at bars. You really do feel special. When you're outside the country serving, the people that you're helping look at you like you're a superhero (especially the women). Just like everything else in life, it's what you make of it. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. There is a lot of advertisement about money for school, job opportunities, and a way to get out of that dust bowl of a town you live in. Forget all that. The only reason anyone should join, is to serve their country. Unless your heart is in to it, when the bullets start flying and you either need to start killing or be killed, it would be a shame to loose your life for college money. I will always be proud of the fact that I served my country. When my boys are old enough and start asking questions about what I did when I was younger, I'll have some great stories that they can pass on to their kids.

Last edited by Chrisnonstop; 02-12-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: stuff...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Berkley needs to "don't ask, don't tell" because they are being heterosexually challenged....

The only lie my recruiter told me was about the MGIB being able to be transferred to a primary dependent. (I chalk it up to something that has been trying to get approved since 1993 (or before) and he may have been confused about it.)

I walked in, asked about HM, was told their was an 18 month wait for Class A school. Told him, screw that, I'll take Fireman Apprenticeship and how soon could he have my in boot camp.

I left the next week, and that was 15 years 4 days ago....
Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 AM

Car Info: impreza 1997
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
And the ant hills.

For those that have never been to Fort Lewis, an area with a high concentration of pine trees, one of the first things you'll notice is that the forest floor is clean; no pine needles.

It's because the ants pick up the pine needles and build mounds 5' to 8' tall.

But back to the lying.....

As was mentioned, it's the sizzle that is sold.
My recruiter did not tell me every little detail of my enlistment, because there's no way to know where you'll go, get transfered to, deployed to, etc.

As everyone has mentioned, there was a certain amount of suck to be expected; some days had more, some less.

That's life.

How many people with civilian jobs get lied to?
You have a thing about ants, don't you?

And as far as recruiters lying.. Most of them don't. Then you get the dicks like the one's here in Georgia who sit in highschools and tell kids their future will be full of glory if the join the army. (mind you, these kids probably have the iq of a rock) But never the less, some of them do lie, I've seen it first hand. But the majority of them are honest, or as honest as they can be.
And about being lied to at civilian jobs, it happens all the time. People are just too dumb to realize it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
I'm beginning to think that only *****'s and the people that never served complain about being lied to. Simple as that. I joined as a 12B and knew exactly what I was getting in to. I even had the foresight to request Jump School while in Oakland signing up. The guy at the computer looked at me like I was crazy and then proceeded to look for an open spot that followed my completion of Basic and AIT. Sure enough, there was a spot. I was on the fast track to becoming a five jump chump. I later got bored of blowing stuff up and went on to more interesting things. Oh, and someone mentioned how T.V. glorifies the military and makes it seem super cool...It is! When you're in uniform and in a patriotic state (not Ca.) people like to pat you on the back, shake your hand, and buy you drinks at bars. You really do feel special. When you're outside the country serving, the people that you're helping look at you like you're a superhero (especially the women). Just like everything else in life, it's what you make of it. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. There is a lot of advertisement about money for school, job opportunities, and a way to get out of that dust bowl of a town you live in. Forget all that. The only reason anyone should join, is to serve their country. Unless your heart is in to it, when the bullets start flying and you either need to start killing or be killed, it would be a shame to loose your life for college money. I will always be proud of the fact that I served my country. When my boys are old enough and start asking questions about what I did when I was younger, I'll have some great stories that they can pass on to their kids.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. If my recruiter would have told me the Army doesn't pay a salary they just provide a roof over your head and 3 squares a day I'd have still signed up and done 4 years so that down the road I'd be able to say I served a cause bigger than myself. And you're so right about the perception the service gets around the world and sometimes here at home (the South especially). I have people thank me on an almost daily basis here and outside the country you're literally a legend to some people. Its not why I signed up but its cool to know that in a day when celebrities have their every move posted in magazines there's still a little bit of nostalgia in a guy that'll put the uniform on. I've been in for a while now and while some guys are getting out and moving on my dedication to my soldiers and my job only grows stronger. The Army was definitely the right move for me.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I walked in the recruiter May 13, asked for a job doing something with finance, took my ASVAB, got offered DK, was in boot camp in a week with a 6K bonus.
the Chief at the recrtuiting station told me about how the racks are small on ships and I would be doing working parties and long hours and until I made some rank would get stuck with the suck jobs.

The only thing I wish the recuiter had done was go over more jobs with me, but at the same time, I got what I asked for, and followed the simple advice of do your job and give 100%. I am an E6 with 6 years in.

Quick Reply: Were you lied to by your recruiters?