Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U.S. Isolationism?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
U.S. Isolationism?

Is it even a viable way of viewing the world and running a country in today's global village?

Sometimes I wish we'd stop trying to police the world and concentrate on what's WITHIN our borders... Then I'm reminded that nothing is truly "isolated" anymore and the only peoples that really succeed treat the world as their backyard.

It's like free agency. It's hard to root for one team with the blinders on excluding all others.

The world simply isn't as cut and dry, as simple as it once was I guess.

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
Originally Posted by IS2Scooby
Is it even a viable way of viewing the world and running a country in today's global village?

Sometimes I wish we'd stop trying to police the world and concentrate on what's WITHIN our borders... Then I'm reminded that nothing is truly "isolated" anymore and the only peoples that really succeed treat the world as their backyard.

It's like free agency. It's hard to root for one team with the blinders on excluding all others.

Thoughts?

We can no longer take an isolationist veiw on our government. This is mainly becuase of how much we rely on international trade in our economy. When was the last time you saw "Made in America" on a product? Although I do agree that we should not police the world.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:04 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Like the afore mentioned said, I don't think isolationism is a viable option in a world were international communication, travel and even weaponry can be deployed so easily. It would be neive and ignorant to think that if you ignore everything outside your own borders that you'd be able to keep it out indefinetly. It could be said that America's well-being is directly proportionate to the world that surrounds it.

If I had to think of an example I'd imagine it'd be like having a house with on coming forest fires all around you. If you limit yourself only to your own property everything around you will build to an uncontrollable conflagration. When it comes time for you and fire to meet its flames are so hot and overpowering and you have made so little preparations outside your own "walls". The outcome seems obvious. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
what he said

Old 12-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by dub2w
what he said

+1.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I don't think there is any isolationism going on. Some good old fashioned nationalism would be nice, though.

If the U.S. is to be different from the world, we need to determine and preserve what it is that makes us great. What is it in our history that has gotten us here, where have we steered wrong, and how do we get back to our roots?

A nation is identified by its borders, and a 10 foot wall does not infer isolationism, as long as open communication and commerce (digital and otherwise) continue.

With the US increasingly reliant on foreign governments for it's resources and finished products, we MUST be vigilant about preserving order. I'd rather have "world HQ" in the U.S. than anywhere else.

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Originally Posted by IS2Scooby

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Yeah, the good ole' French had that philosophy. Resistance was far from futile though. It was more like.....ummmm........vehicle inferno.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yeah, the good ole' French had that philosophy. Resistance was far from futile though. It was more like.....ummmm........vehicle inferno.
Yes, and so do we. I'm all for immigration reform.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Yes, and so do we. I'm all for immigration reform.
Yeah, to a degree that'd be awesome. I won't get into that on this thread though. I've got a pretty unorthodox theory on all that.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I don't think there is any isolationism going on. Some good old fashioned nationalism would be nice, though.
I would have to disagree. Nationalism causes so many problems. See Hitler and Germany. Patriotism is ok with me, but hardcore nationalism is taking it too far.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
I would have to disagree. Nationalism causes so many problems. See Hitler and Germany. Patriotism is ok with me, but hardcore nationalism is taking it too far.
Agreed. Patriotism is pride in yourself and nationalism seems to develop and "hatred for differences" theme. It's all about the love.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
Much like liberalism, only the extremes are disfunctional. A "healthy amount" of Nationalism is what made the U.S. what it is today.