Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U.S. border patrol helicopter downed by illegals

Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry

Yeah, these are people we really need in our country. Won't be long until we hear illegals complaining about how their civil rights are being trampled on because BP agents decide to use force. Throwing rocks at a bird is deadly force, btw. Just not sure if they can engage them or not. It certainly wouldn't be accpetable for half of America. Same thing happened in Somolia. If they were stupid enough to do this with a military bird the door gunner may have very well engaged them.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsAr...GRATION-DC.XML

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:20 PM ET
By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A U.S. Border Patrol helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing after illegal immigrants pelted it with baseball-sized rocks, damaging a rotor, a spokesman for the agency said on Thursday.

There were no injuries as the helicopter's pilot was able to set the aircraft down just north of the All American Canal on the border between the U.S. and Mexico, Border Patrol spokesman Michael Gramley said.

Authorities say smugglers are becoming increasingly willing to use violence against border patrol agents as their trade becomes more profitable, with smugglers able to earn about $2,000 per person.

The helicopter pilot was responding to a call for help from agents on the ground on Tuesday evening when about 10 people on the south bank of the canal began hurling large rocks at the aircraft.

"One of the rocks struck one of the three rotors and the pilot instantly felt a bad vibration as he was flying," Gramley said. "He immediately made an emergency landing approximately 1 mile east of the incident."

Gramley said agents on the ground caught 17 people who had crossed to the north side of the canal but most of the 10 seen throwing rocks escaped back across the border. Mexican authorities were contacted but did not arrest them, he said.

"We believe these 10 subjects were involved in alien smuggling," he said. "We've seen an increased trend in the Yuma (Arizona) sector of violence by smugglers toward agents." The incident took place on the California-Mexico border close to the Arizona state line.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Salty; 08-26-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
that is simply amazing.. but in desperate times desperate people will do desperate things...

throwing rocks at a helicopter is simply amazing..

I feel we do bear a responsibility to treat other humans as such (with the same rights that we our selves hold to be self evident).

And WTF was a bird doing that damn close to them to be hit by a baseball size rock (unless these guys are mutants that must have been a helluva throw)
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
don't they use blackhawks? how the hell did they do enough damage to a rotor to bring it down with a freaking rock?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
It's just plain stupid to get that close.. Imagine if they had a gun or worse..Also I can't believe that a rock did that much damage
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I can imagne a baseball sized rock hitting a fast moving rotor would do some damage.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Well considering most coyotes are now involved with drug cartels it's suprising it was just rocks.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I know what happened is bad but...

I chuckled a little bit when i saw the headline. We have the largest and most powerful nation in the world, and yet our boarders are not secure, and people are downing our helicopters with rocks? Thats a little funny.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 PM

the rotors are designed to be resilient though, i just don't get it
Old 08-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Car Info: WRX '03
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
I know what happened is bad but...

I chuckled a little bit when i saw the headline. We have the largest and most powerful nation in the world, and yet our boarders are not secure, and people are downing our helicopters with rocks? Thats a little funny.
+1

i just dont understand
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
And WTF was a bird doing that damn close to them to be hit by a baseball size rock (unless these guys are mutants that must have been a helluva throw)
There you go again, dre, letting your cultural bais blind you.
You assume that the rock thrower is Mexican.

Obviously, given that it was a baseball-sized rock, the thrower must be Puerto Rican.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Hey us Mexicans can throw too. Might have been a Cuban though.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
Originally Posted by jdepould
the rotors are designed to be resilient though, i just don't get it

Actually they are just the opposite.They are very brittle as if when you preflight and pull on one you could very well snap it off. Though I agree, they should have never been that close to the mexicans.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by I3eXa
Actually they are just the opposite.They are very brittle as if when you preflight and pull on one you could very well snap it off. Though I agree, they should have never been that close to the mexicans.
I still don't buy it, rotors have been hit by RPGs and remained in tact, it still brought the bird down, but that was from other damage, not actual rotor damage.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
that is simply amazing.. but in desperate times desperate people will do desperate things...

I feel we do bear a responsibility to treat other humans as such (with the same rights that we our selves hold to be self evident).
Are you talking equality, or the rights you get as an American Citizen?

I think people throwing rocks (deadly force) should be shot.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I think people throwing rocks (deadly force) should be shot.
Here, here.

BTW, why aren't these birds armed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: U.S. border patrol helicopter downed by illegals