Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

TV worth watching

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
TV worth watching

1-15 MARCH 2005 UPCOMING ARMY-RELATED PROGRAMMING

1 MAR, 9 P.M., PBS FRONTLINE, "THE SOLDIER'S HEART" [Premiere}

Description: As the War in Iraq continues, the first measures of its psychological toll are coming in. A medical study estimates that more than one in seven returning veterans are expected to suffer from major depression, anxiety, or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). For those who have survived the fighting, the battle is not over. For some, the return home can be as painful as war itself. FRONTLINE tells the stories of soldiers who have come home haunted by their experiences and asks whether the government is doing enough to help.

Support provided by: Walter Reed Army Medical Center

1 MAR, 1 a.m. MILITARY CHANNEL, OPERATION ANACONDA - THE BATTLE FOR ROBERT'S RIDGE

Description: Study the battle on Takur Ghar Mountain during the first days of Operation Anaconda. Using combat camera footage, media coverage and re-enactments, an hour-by-hour account of the battle recounts the heroism and fighting prowess of Army Rangers.

Also airing: 1 Mar at 6 & 9 a.m. and 2 & 5 p.m.

3 MAR, 8 & 11 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, CITIZEN SOLDIER [Premiere]

Description: Since September 11, 2001, the U.S. military has waged two major wars that ended in quick victories and uneasy peaces. Record numbers of reserve units have been called upon. Hear the incredible stories of these citizen soldiers as they return from battle.

Support provided by: USARC; 63d RRC

Also airing: 4 Mar at 4 & 7 a.m., 12 & 3 p.m.; on 6 Mar at 6 p.m.; on 7 Mar at 2 & 10 a.m.

3 MAR, 9 P.M. MILITARY CHANNEL, IRAQ: THE UNTOLD WAR

Description: Follow the stories of the people and places involved in the war in Iraq. Uncover the new technology, communications and airpower that were used to topple Saddam's regime and listen to interviews with top officials and the Iraqi coalition.

Also airing: 4 Mar at 12, 5, & 8 a.m and 1 & 4 p.m.; 6 Mar at 7 p.m.; 7 Mar at 3 & 11 a.m.

4 MAR, 8 & 11 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL FUTURE GUNS

Description: Whether intended for military, law enforcement or personal use, the weapons of tomorrow often push technology into the realm of science fiction. These high-tech weapons include electric guns, high flying laser systems and even non-lethal devices.

Also airing: 5 Mar at 4 & 7 a.m. and 12 & 3 p.m.

4 MAR, 9 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, FIELDS OF ARMOR - HYPERWAR

Description: Tomorrow's tank commanders are today's arcade experts. Simulated battles and real ones now unfold in multi-media environments, where the body heat of distant enemies is detected on video screens.

Also airing: 5 Mar at 12, 5, 8 a.m. and 1 & 4 p.m.

4 MAR, 9 - 10 P.M., HISTORY CHANNEL, MAIL CALL

Description: Lee examines up-armoring--getting armor protection for thin-skinned Humvees currently fighting in Iraq--and checks out the Rhino PAK (Portable Armor Kit), which can turn a vulnerable vehicle into an armored transport. 9:30 - takes viewers inside the E-3 Sentry early warning and control system--a high-tech aerial command and control center--and J-Stars, similar to AWACS, but linked to an Army command center housed in a Humvee.

Also airing: 5 Mar at 1 a.m.

4 MAR, 10 P.M., HISTORY CHANNEL, MODERN MARVELS, SMART BOMBS

Description: Precision-guided munitions, smart bombs were the media buzz of the first Gulf War and a major military and political driving force of the second. But their apparent sudden celebrity is deceptive. The history of smart bombs goes back to World War I and includes an ingenious, if eccentric, group of inventions and a cast of characters that boasts a Kennedy and a president of General Motors. Join us for the underground history of smart bombs, and a glimpse into the future of precision weapons.

Also airing: 5 Mar at 3 a.m.

4 MAR, 10:30 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, MISSILE COPTER

Description: The missile-armed helicopter has been one of the most dramatic innovations in military technology of the past decade. Experience the thrill of chopper combat in this unprecedented look at some of the finest attack helicopters flying today.

Also airing: 5 Mar at 1:30, 6:30 & 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 and 5:30 p.m.

5 MAR, 9 P.M., DISCOVERY TIMES, AMERICA'S SECRET SOLDIERS

Description: One of the primary forces against the threat to international stability is a classified US military force known as Special Operations Command. SOCOM's 44,000 commandos operate in an environment requiring expertise beyond traditional combat missions.

Also airing: 6 Mar at 12, 5, 8 a.m. and 1 & 4 p.m.

6 MAR, 6:30 p.m., SUNDANCE CHANNEL, CONTROL ROOM

Description: Jehane Noujaim's (STARTUP.COM) behind-the-scenes look at the independent Arab news station Al Jazeera follows the channel's management and reporters as they cover the unfolding story of the second Iraq War. At the U.S. military's Central Command (CentCom) media center in Qatar, old acquaintances are renewed and new relationships forged as the Al Jazeera reporters - including a BBC veteran - take their places alongside Western journalists. But with the war underway, all the journalists must deal with the realities of CentCom, which controls access to information.

6 MAR, 8 & 11 P.M. MILITARY CHANNEL, HALO: Freefall Warriors - Parts 1 & 2 (2 hours)

Description: Elite forces have embarked on month-long training for parachute freefall known as HALO-high altitude low opening. Follow recruits through ground school where they practice freefall maneuvers in the vertical wind tunnel.

Support provided by: USASOC

Also airing: 7 Mar at 4 & 7 a.m., 12 & 3 p.m.

6 MAR, 10 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, 82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION

Description: "82nd Airborne" highlights the training and history of this famed army division. As the only army division with forced entry capability, the 82nd stands ready at a moment's notice to go into combat.

Also airing: 7 Mar at 1, 6, 9 a.m. and 2 & 5 p.m.

7 MAR, 9 A.M.-1 P.M., 3-7 P.M., HISTORY CHANNEL, KOREAN WAR

Description: An examination of the Korean War, which set all the rules for the East/West conflict during the nuclear age, and in so doing, brought an unknowing world closer to all-out atomic war than has ever been told. In this episode, a North Korean surprise attack finds desperate and unready U.N. forces fighting with their backs to the sea.

8 MAR, 1 & 7 P.M. HISTORY CHANNEL, MODERN MARVELS, SURVEILLANCE TECH

Description: We check out Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles (UAVs). And we explore the mind-bending future of surveillance technology, while, of course, reviewing its surprising history.

10 MAR, 11 A.M. & 5 P.M. HISTORY CHANNEL, STALK AND KILL

Description: Meet the ultimate hunters in a deadly game where the quarry shoots back--U.S. Army snipers. Experts of stealth and stalking, they can kill with a single shot from nearly a mile, or creep within yards of an enemy target remaining virtually invisible. Starting with American snipers in the Revolutionary War and ending with 21st-century snipers and the latest technology at the U.S. Army Sniper School, we review the history of these marksmen who train to become the "most hated men on the battlefield."

11 MAR, 9:30 P.M., HISTORY CHANNEL, MAIL CALL

Description: Lee offers an eye-popping look at the stunts performed by the Golden Knights, the Army's precision freefall parachute team.

11 MAR, 10 P.M., TLC, FAKING IT: RIGID LEADER TO FASHIONISTA [PREMIERE]

Description: Can a no-nonsense US Army Sergeant fake it as a fab New York Fashion Designer? For the last seven years, our Faker recruit, Sergeant Elba has lived by the strict rules and regulations of the US Army... Until her journey into the world of fashion!

Support provided by: Fort Bragg

Also airing: 12 Mar at 1 a.m. & 3 p.m.

11 MAR, 8 & 11 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, SIZE IT UP - ARTILLERY [Premiere]

Description: Artillery is generally a term used for weaponry launched by a controlled explosion, and can include missiles with sophisticated rockets and guidance systems. Take an in-depth look at some of the military's three main cutting-edge artillery weapons.

Support provided by: Fort Sill

Also airing: 12 Mar at 4 & 7 a.m. and 12 & 3 p.m.

13 MAR, 10 P.M., MILITARY CHANNEL, GREEN BERETS

Description: Trapped in the underground bunkers of Lang Vei with 40,000 enemy troops amassed nearby, 22 Green Berets and 400 Montagnard and South Vietnamese irregulars dig in for a massive attack. Heroism and perseverance bring eight American soldiers out alive.

Also airing: 14 Mar at 1,6, 9 a.m. and 2 & 5 p.m.

15 MAR, 10 A.M. & 4 P.M.,HISTORY CHANNEL, THE TRUE STORY OF KILLING PABLO (TWO HOURS)

Description: An exploration of the criminal life of Pablo Escobar that culminated in the largest manhunt in history and the controversial 1993 killing of Escobar on a rooftop in Medellin, Colombia. Based on his book Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw, author Mark Bowden anchors the program, guiding us through pivotal moments of Escobar's life and sharing startling revelations he uncovered during the research for his book. Features interviews with key officials of Colombia and the U.S.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Talking

Originally Posted by gpatmac
11 MAR, 10 P.M., TLC, FAKING IT: RIGID LEADER TO FASHIONISTA [PREMIERE]

Description: Can a no-nonsense US Army Sergeant fake it as a fab New York Fashion Designer? For the last seven years, our Faker recruit, Sergeant Elba has lived by the strict rules and regulations of the US Army... Until her journey into the world of fashion!

Support provided by: Fort Bragg

Also airing: 12 Mar at 1 a.m. & 3 p.m.

One of these shows is not like the others...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by gpatmac

5 MAR, 9 P.M., DISCOVERY TIMES, AMERICA'S SECRET SOLDIERS

Description: One of the primary forces against the threat to international stability is a classified US military force known as Special Operations Command.
Also airing: 6 Mar at 12, 5, 8 a.m. and 1 & 4 p.m.
I like how they word this. I can remember a bunch old, fat, balding "has been" brass and stripes at SOCOM but never considered them a "force" themselves... :P

I'll be sure to catch Killing Pablo. I have the one on Yuma School and the 82nd recorded on TIVO. Both are accurate depictions. The 82nd one is from when Gen. Vines was the commander.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by Salty
I like how they word this. I can remember a bunch old, fat, balding "has been" brass and stripes at SOCOM but never considered them a "force" themselves... :P
Ha. You're absolutely right. Those guys are so removed from the gritty world they represent, it isn't even funny.

Originally Posted by MVWRX
One of these shows is not like the others...
I didn't catch that, the first time. Or maybe I did....and it's me.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I'm watching Rescue Warriors: Breaking Point on the National Geographic Channel about the Pararescue pipeline and selection.

The things they're doing and the mind games the cadre plays on the students are leaving chilling memories down my spine. I can actually feel myself getting uneasy when I watch it and can put myself in their shoes over and over for different schools etc. Any combat MOS guy should watch it. Especially the old fart with the big "V" behind his MOS.

Now I remember why I ETS'd... ugh...