Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Those Who Voted for Bush May Be In for a Big Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Those Who Voted for Bush May Be In for a Big Surprise

Ok, I've seen this all over the news this morning, but this site sums up my opinion and the story all together so it's convenient.

As of right now this is the first post on this site http://www.thousandreasons.net/

"Dear rural/exurban Christian conservative voters: Congratulations on your election victory. By going to the polls in unprecedented numbers Tuesday, you overwhelmed an enormous Democratic turnout and returned President Bush to office, along with a number of very conservative senators. Now Bush is preparing to repay your efforts by moving immediately on your highest priorities: a flat tax and privatizing Social Security.

Oh, wait. You didn't particularly hanker for those things, did you? The election is so far in the past now that it has receded into a hazy memory. But as I recall, you voted for Bush because of his position on one issue ‹ he opposes gay marriage ‹ and on the general principle that he is a godly man who shares your values. Now Bush has decided, conveniently enough, that those values are identical to those of his wealthy financiers. (Go to any meeting of the Club for Growth, a group of affluent, libertarian-leaning Bush backers who mostly live in Washington and New York City. I'm sure you'll find them, like victorious Okla-homophobe Sen. Tom Coburn, deeply concerned about rampant high school lesbianism in the Sooner State."

On top of this, we now have to worry about who he nominates for the supreme court. So much for "the land of the free"

One possible way that he could "privatize" social-security is to reduce gov. benefits to people that setup thier own private retierment accounts. It's not like they give you anything now to begin with, so all the money that we dump into from our paychecks, we won't see in the future if we try to be smart and save a little more.

It's right here in the 2nd paragraph of this LAtimes article http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...home-headlines

Last paragraph states flat tax is possible now http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...84_bush05.html (this is the news conference that was on the news this morning, at least they talked about it.)

flat tax= rich richer, poor poorer

want to be radical? Fire the irs except a few thousand (they have tens of thousands) get rid of income taxes and just have a national sales tax. Needed items would have to be a lower rate of course, but it would be a hell of a lot simpleler.

btw: this post doesn't mean that I love Kerry, it just means that I'm scared of Bush.

Last edited by Monkeynutz; 11-05-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:35 AM

I'll admit that a flat tax can be good under some circumstances. Without knowing the rate we'll never know. Regardless though, some can argue that it's fair and in a way it is. Then again it depends on howmuch money you make to see how fair it is.

if the flat tax raises how much you pay, you'll be screwed, if it lowers it, then you're already rich to begin with. (generalizing here)

2003 tax brackets http://partners.financenter.com/abcn...taxbracket.fcs

Last edited by Monkeynutz; 11-05-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Well, if you don't like it, sign up to move to Canada now. I predict another Republican will win again after GW's term is up.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Petty
Those of us that voted for Bush won't be surprised at what he does. That is why he was elected, because the majority of people agree with his plans and trust his word. I know that Bush will do what he says.
when did he say that he would do this before the election?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well, if you don't like it, sign up to move to Canada now. I predict another Republican will win again after GW's term is up.
I don't care if there is a republican, democrat, or a 3rd party in the whitehouse, I care about how they run the country.

As long as they fix his mess, I don't care. But that will take 5 or more terms.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
If you dont like it then move??? I wonder how often you are smirking when you type these things, or if your brow is furrowed in true concentration

If I had to leave because I didnt like my govt (or conversely they didnt like me) I would be living in a land led by Hitler, Stalin, or any other punk dictator.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Petty
Right now I pay a little under 30%. That sucks giving the government that much money. If I was able to keep more of my money, I would spend it. That is how the economy works best. People have more money to spend, and then they buy stuff which creates demand, and then companies have to hire people to keep up with the demand and so on. Everybody benefits from us being able to keep more of our money.

Bulls***. Show me some facts to back this up. If this was true, the economy would always be better during Republican presidencies (because they cut taxes). Forbes ranked the presidents based on the economy, and democrats are always better for the economy than republicans. So your argument is propaganda pushed by the republican party in order to gain support for an idea that helps certain individuals, not the economy as a whole.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Actually the economy does better under a democrat, economically speaking. Look it up im not joking.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
The president really doesn't affect the economy all that much, Clinton got lucky, hit with the internet boom, and he changed the definition of unemployment to lower the rate . . . the economy will do what it will regardless of the president
Old 11-05-2004, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jdepould
The president really doesn't affect the economy all that much, Clinton got lucky, hit with the internet boom, and he changed the definition of unemployment to lower the rate . . . the economy will do what it will regardless of the president
Yes, in reality. But it does effect the way people spend. If they have confidence in the president they spend more.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:51 PM

Also how the economy continues matters on the president as well. He can have certain laws pass etc... He is also seen as the party leader so he can try and push for certain things.

Quick Reply: Those Who Voted for Bush May Be In for a Big Surprise