Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Ted Kennedy--Expert Military Strategist, or Drunken Senator? You choose

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Ted Kennedy--Expert Military Strategist, or Drunken Senator? You choose

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Back from a long hiatus, it's time for a moderate rant:

Does Ted Kennedy really think that most Americans are not going to see this for what it is? Given the situation, the only possible justification I can see him having for an immediate pullout from Iraq is to make Iraq a Bush defeat, so that the Democrats can then go on for the next twenty years about how stupid Bush was, and how the Republicans created Vietnam part 2. I don't buy for a second that Ted Kennedy really thinks Iraq and America both will be better off if Bush has the army rush out of Iraq. Ted Kennedy may be an alcoholic, but he's functional enough to not be that stupid.

The democrats have predicted failure at every turn. Here's a list of the Democratic Party's claims about this war so far:

First, they said the Iraqi people would fight tooth and nail to keep the US out, and that our forces would take heavy losses in the invasion.

That didn't happen.

Then, they said the insurgents would batter the US into submission....

Instead, the armed forces kill terrorists by the thousands, crush their stronghold in Fallujah, and the insurgents end up resorting to attacking civillians at wedding parties.

After that, the dems said: "The election will never happen!"

The election is three days away, with some polls saying 80 percent of the population intends to participate. That's a bigger vote portion than we get here in the US.

What do you guys think? Any anti-war types want to make another prediction to try and make us forget about the failed ones Kerry and Kennedy already made?

Last edited by subaruguru; 01-27-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
It's really hard to refute these three statements.

You may be able to say a little something about the one regarding terrorists but it’ll still be hard to cover all your bases. The other two statements are pretty much fact.

I wonder if that percentage includes the estimated 250,000+ Iraqis voting in U.S. soil?

I predict a lot of "buts" and people drifting off topic in this thread.

Last edited by Salty; 01-27-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
+1 for drunken senator
Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Ted Kennedy is more proof that Liberalism is a mental disease.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

And just for the sake of argument only 42% of the legal voting-age population voted in the Presidential campaign of 1998 that Clinton won.

The 80% figure that subaruguru posted was for participation within the population which makes the 1998 campaign seem that much more insignificant.

As a matter of fact, let's just assume each figure represents the voting population, shall we?

This is just a prediction as of now but I highly doubt it'll get anywhere near 42% if it happens to drop from 80%.

Another thing to consider is that the majority of the non-voting population is mostly part of the stubborn Sunnis. Just one group. Food for thought...
Old 01-27-2005, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Where does he say that he wants an 'immediate pullout'?

here's the quote, if you hadn't read it:

"We need a new plan that sets fair and realistic goals for self-government in Iraq, and works with the Iraqi government on a specific timetable for the honorable homecoming of our forces."

So you disagree with this? How exactly is this trying to make Bush look bad? I see it as looking out for our troops.

Your false assumption may satisfy your apparent disdain for those suffering from liberalism, but I would like for you to know that I am a liberal, and I don't wish for the failure of our country's efforts, no matter who's in charge. I'm sure soemone like Kennedy, who has reached quite a high posiiton of power, could not have done so without the open mindedness needed to see past the politics in this situation.

I believe the disapproval rating for Bush in Iraq is reaching 60%. Perhaps more people also feel we need to adjust our plan a little to make sure we don't spend too many resources in one place and that troops can return to their families and try to pick their lives back up. I'll agree that Iraq is among the things we should be paying attention to, but I think that we are beginning to outstrech ourselves, and there are also many things on the domestic front that could use a little more monetary support.

I'm unemployed, uninsured, and just found out that my federal workstudy was cancelled. I may sound selfish, but we need some help here too.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

If that's what you think Kennedy is saying just 3 days before the Iraqi election then that's your opinion and I tip my hat to you. Now tackle the other half of subaruguru's post.

And turns out that there's ~280,000 expatriates that are expected to vote. The voting has already begun and they’re quite appreciative: http://abcnews.go.com/International/...C-RSSFeeds0312

Oh yeah! Turns out that three more of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi close Lieutenants were captured today and IRAQIS (Yes I said Iraqis, not Americans) may be close to capturing al-Zarqawi himself. This is the same group that vowed to disrupt the elections and claims responsibility in some recent suicide attacks on innocent Iraqi civilians: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq
Old 01-28-2005, 08:39 AM
VIP Member

Not to be too OT but I saw this picture in that story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bag11901281305

Read the caption carefully...

I believe it’s **** like this that will give the Iraqi youth the proper mind set for their generation and beyond.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
If that's what you think Kennedy is saying just 3 days before the Iraqi election then that's your opinion and I tip my hat to you. Now tackle the other half of subaruguru's post.
So what, DID he call for an immediate pullout? Or is that what you guys are assuming he wants? Can you even give him a chance? All it says in the article is that as a timetable should be set to transfer contyrol and bring the troops home. I can't argue with that... can you? (you never answered it the first time I asked). Currently, we don't know how many more months or years we will be dropping billiions of dollars into that country. Chances are we will have to be helping them monetarily for years to come, regardless if we are there or not with a strong military presence. So I don't think a complete, immediate pullout would be good, because that would end up in disaster, and we would end up spending more in the long run, (and the premise of the war would be somewhat lost, or failed). You really think that is what Kennedy wants? He's a US senator, elected to position. If he were that openly irrational, would he still be in office? I know he's pretty far left, but it would surprise me if he wishes for the complete failure of our country's efforts. Yes, they may be thinking 'this will make Bush look bad,' but I don't think that is the primary motivation behind calling for a timetable to bring the troops home.
People are already being called back up for their second tours, when they had not willingly volunteered (yeah, the contract they signed said they could be called back up, but that doesn't mean you're expecting it). If we go much longer, the pressure for and controversy over a possible draft might be somewhat disastrous.

And turns out that there's ~280,000 expatriates that are expected to vote. The voting has already begun and they’re quite appreciative: http://abcnews.go.com/International/...C-RSSFeeds0312

Oh yeah! Turns out that three more of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi close Lieutenants were captured today and IRAQIS (Yes I said Iraqis, not Americans) may be close to capturing al-Zarqawi himself. This is the same group that vowed to disrupt the elections and claims responsibility in some recent suicide attacks on innocent Iraqi civilians: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq
This isn't meant to refute anything I said, is it? Both of these things are positive steps toward stability. If anything, what you say here only supports the notion that the Iraqis are more ready than some of us thought to govern themselves. If you thought I wanted everything to fail (like Teddy ), well, then you have the wrong imression of the average democrat.

Last edited by scoobsport98; 01-28-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:19 AM

Not to be too OT but I saw this picture in that story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bag11901281305

Read the caption carefully...

I believe it’s **** like this that will give the Iraqi youth the proper mind set for their generation and beyond.

Exactly. The bad thing is, there are similar scenes of people gathered around dead bodies of civilians that were accidentaly killed. What do you think those people are thinking? And, sorry to say, but the civilian deaths probably get significantly more media coverage and the people in the mideast watching Al-Jazeera hear much more about killed civilians than insurgents killing their own countrymen.

In a way, this is an information war. Pictures and stories of scenes like the one you posted need to be seen and heard.

unrelated: I wrote a brief essay a couple years back on 'the voice of democracy' for the VFW... I'll try to find it and post it up here. I'd like for you guys on the right to see that a liberal can be patriotic and rational
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scoobsport98
So what, DID he call for an immediate pullout? Or is that what you guys are assuming he wants? Can you even give him a chance? All it says in the article is that as a timetable should be set to transfer contyrol and bring the troops home. I can't argue with that... can you? (you never answered it the first time I asked).
If Sen. Kennedy had made this proposal after a successful election then I wouldn't argue with it whatsoever. After all, our troops cannot stay in Iraq till the end of time. But the timing of Kennedy's statement is ****-poor and reeks of political diversion in the sense that Bush may actually succeed in making him look bad.

He didn't get to the podium with his hands in his pockets as he stared at the ground like timid child with some half-assed opinion. We're talking about a statement given 72hrs from a historical election. A time when troops are needed the most for security reasons. These security forces will need to have a presence even after the election for a extended period of time.

You see, if this wasn't a politically motivating statement in order to save his own hide, Kennedy would have said the same exact thing on February 2nd. In that case I would have agreed with him in a sense that we do need to consider a transition.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM

If you (and others) think this is about making the opposite party look bad, then this country has absolutely NOTHING to look forward to in the future years in politics.

I really don't see how the timing of his statement makes it politically motivated. One could say that he is assuming that the elections will go well (as many now are), and he is looking forward. Assuming the elections do go over well, wouldn't you agree that we should scaling back our own presence. After all, we're trying to let them govern themselves, so the insurgents will lose their premise to attack (an American occupation). So continue in this direction, shouldn't we start pulling out? Again, assuming that all goes well and chaos doesn't break out.

I guess I didn't actually see him make the statement. His attitude in delivering it might be criticized, and I may have missed something there. Or maybe I'm just missing a hatred toward him and all he stands for.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

So continue in this direction, shouldn't we start pulling out?
Yes and I've already said we should pullout. All I'm saying is that the timing was very poor on Sen. Kennedy’s behalf.

It's this very factor that ensures our presence for the time being. We cannot let our hopes ride on this assumption because there's too much at risk:

Again, assuming that all goes well and chaos doesn't break out.
Let me ask you this... Do you think anyone besides Sen. Kennedy has actually thought about a solid withdrawal plan from Iraq? Honestly?! Maybe those that do this for a living with brass stars on their shoulders? I'm 110% sure that some of the most competent U.S. military strategists have a plan for withdrawal.

This very factor along with **** poor timing proves it's a politically motivated statement. Why else would anyone give a damn about a drunken Senator's opinion that just so happens to be batting for the team against Bush?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 AM

You see, if this wasn't a politically motivating statement in order to save his own hide, Kennedy would have said the same exact thing on February 2nd. In that case I would have agreed with him in a sense that we do need to consider a transition.
Feb 2nd would have been three days AFTER the election. Two days after many Iraqis would start thinking 'We're in charge, thank you... what are you still doing here?'

If you could agree with it then, why not now? Sounds like you're a little 'politically motivated' yourself. I have a feeling if a more moderate democrat or republican would have made the same statement at the same time, you wouldn't have thought twice before agreeing with them.

Don't you think this is something important enough to think ahead about? Bringing up an idea a week before it should be implemented isn't so crazy, in my books, it's being time-concious, realizing that things take time to approve, plan, and employ.

He said that 'the American occupation has become part of the problem' This may be a little extreme, and would definitely make any republican stop listening. However, after the election, our occupation WILL begin to be part of the problem, only contributing the the insurgents premise for attack. We need to stay to maintain stability, but I do agree that we should start scaling back the number of troops there, as to make a statement to the Iraqi people (including the insurgents). Once again, Kennedy didn't call for an immediate pullout. He said we should start scaling back after the election and be out by the end of '05.

If you want to see politically motivated, look at the first post in this thread.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:58 AM

It's this very factor that ensures our presence for the time being. We cannot let our hopes ride on this assumption because there's too much at risk:
So, you get on us for being pessimistic, then say not to be too hopeful when we are optimistic? What am I to do?

Quick Reply: Ted Kennedy--Expert Military Strategist, or Drunken Senator? You choose